The Student Room Group

Took some change from work? Dont know what to do??Will I be arrested??

I recently started a job at Argos and the other day I honestly lost a a couple of quid somewhere in the vicinity. Only when I went to lunch I released that I only had my £2 coin and not the other 3 pounds. So yesterday i just took £3 in change from the till whilst doing a transaction. i now feel awful even though its small amount. Nothing was said but will they know £3 is gone at the end of the week or should I just never do it again? Please respond ASAP as Im quite panicky. Im only 16,this is my first job i dont want to be fired!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So you lost your money and decided to make up for it by stealing from the Argos tills...? Not the best idea but i doubt there going to take major action on it.
Yes they'll know it's missing they add up everything in the till. If they work out it's you I wouldn't be surprised if they fire you. I know when I've worked behind tills that would be the punishment.
For sure you are going to be going to court. Prepare your plea. Enjoy prison.
You'd definitely get a disciplinary/warning, if not being fired, if they found out. It doesn't matter how little you take, it's still stealing.
They would have seen that the till was at least £3 down at the end of the shift when cashing up but if they haven't said anything now it probably isn't too big of a loss for them... Surely they cash up each night? I've never known of a shop cashing up once a week. The ones I've worked in counted money half way through the day as well as at the end of the shift!
If it's anything like the store I work in, they record who was on what till, how much money it ought to have in it when they cash up and also cameras above the tills. They may or may not question it, it depends. But why on earth you thought it acceptable to take money from the till...? That's just down right stupidity.
First job, 16 yrs old - hopefully if they do know they'll put it down as naive and daft of you rather than deceptive and thieving . Never ever take money from the till - not even pennies - nothing. What you did was stealing - if you were 10 years older and they knew about it, it wouldn't surprise me if you got fired - but taking your age and lack of experience into account you'd probably get a good stern talking to or a disciplinary if they found out.

With regards to your question about ''will they know at the end of the week'' whether they were £3 down on your till - they know how much each till is up/down by the end of each day because it has to be counted. Remember all of the transactions you take are registered in the till. They might not know why a particular till is up or down though.

There is always a 'give or take' amount regarding how much the till can be up or down by - if it's above/below that amount then it raises suspicions. It depends on what Argos/your manager has the 'give or take' amount set at as to whether they'll think something is amiss if £3 is gone. If my till was ever 3 pounds down I would be asked about it (or 3 pounds up) - sometimes you accidentally give out the incorrect change or manually price and item up/down when the bar code doesn't work etc and mistakes happen so they might not see it as suspicious but then again you may have been seen on the security cameras if they're pointed at the tills.

Most definitely never ever do that again - but if there are security cameras trained on your till you might be in a pickle to be honest - not a great idea at all, especially when you're new. Obviously no one here can tell you if they know or not - but remember in future that companies can check everything if they need to, that shouldn't really be the basis for behaving correctly anyway really!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bobrose1
i admire your sarcarsm...

sarcasm?:confused: I hate thieves. I have sent a screenshot of this thread to Argos Customer Services. "We appreciate that you have shared this with us. We are going to be investigating the incident thoroughly."
Reply 8
Original post by rileystringer
sarcasm?:confused: I hate thieves. I have sent a screenshot of this thread to Argos Customer Services. "We appreciate that you have shared this with us. We are going to be investigating the incident thoroughly."

you are an ********.
I know a 16 year old girl at KFC, she was about to faint because she was low on sugar and had to drink some coke from KFC's coke machine, fired on the spot. Literally.
And to the **** that reported the OP to argos, go crawl back into the hole whence you came, Ops sorry and is trying ot right his wrong, no need to be a dick.
Reply 10
Original post by somethingbeautiful
First job, 16 yrs old - hopefully if they do know they'll put it down as naive and daft of you rather than deceptive and thieving . Never ever take money from the till - not even pennies - nothing. What you did was stealing - if you were 10 years older and they knew about it, it wouldn't surprise me if you got fired - but taking your age and lack of experience into account you'd probably get a good stern talking to or a disciplinary if they found out.

With regards to your question about ''will they know at the end of the week'' whether they were £3 down on your till - they know how much each till is up/down by the end of each day because it has to be counted. Remember all of the transactions you take are registered in the till. They might not know why a particular till is up or down though.

There is always a 'give or take' amount regarding how much the till can be up or down by - if it's above/below that amount then it raises suspicions. It depends on what Argos/your manager has the 'give or take' amount set at as to whether they'll think something is amiss if £3 is gone. If my till was ever 3 pounds down I would be asked about it (or 3 pounds up) - sometimes you accidentally give out the incorrect change or manually price and item up/down when the bar code doesn't work etc and mistakes happen so they might not see it as suspicious but then again you may have been seen on the security cameras if they're pointed at the tills.

Most definitely never ever do that again - but if there are security cameras trained on your till you might be in a pickle to be honest - not a great idea at all, especially when you're new. Obviously no one here can tell you if they know or not - but remember in future that companies can check everything if they need to, that shouldn't really be the basis for behaving correctly anyway really!

It doesn't matter how old you are. If you're old enough to have a job you should be old enough to know not to steal. If you don't know that, they can't trust you. I've worked in retail management, and if any of my employees stole and said it was because they were just 16, I'd tell them to **** off. That isn't an excuse. And if you strongly believe it is then you're being cruel to the OP - you're giving someone who you believe to be naive false hope.
Original post by Carterj09
I know a 16 year old girl at KFC, she was about to faint because she was low on sugar and had to drink some coke from KFC's coke machine, fired on the spot. Literally.
And to the **** that reported the OP to argos, go crawl back into the hole whence you came, Ops sorry and is trying ot right his wrong, no need to be a dick.

Sorry but.. it all starts at stealing £3. Then the OP will just fancy an X-Box and £300 will go missing. Next thing you know, Argos is bankrupt. I don't agree with it. Report it at the start and everything is fine.

To answer your question properly, theft is against the law and stealing from a big business like this is not a good thing to do. Will you be arrested? Ask the judge.
Sorry but.. it all starts at stealing £3. Then the OP will just fancy an X-Box and £300 will go missing. Next thing you know, Argos is bankrupt. I don't agree with it. Report it at the start and everything is fine.

To answer your question properly, theft is against the law and stealing from a big business like this is not a good thing to do. Will you be arrested? Ask the judge.

An xbox and £300 is all but unnoticeable to a MNC. Doesn't affect them in the slightest, they get 1,000,000 more than that from the taxes they dodge.
Hes giving it back you ****

theft
θɛft/
noun

the action or crime of stealing.

steal
stiːl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: stealing
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

He intends to give it back, ergo he borrowed it,.

That's a ridiculous argument and you know it. I'd like to see someone using that excuse on a manager.

No one on here can say what will happen with his managers, but stealing is stealing.
An xbox and £300 is all but unnoticeable to a MNC. Doesn't affect them in the slightest, they get 1,000,000 more than that from the taxes they dodge.

theft
θɛft/
noun

steal
stiːl/Submit
verb
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

borrowing without asking is considered theft. argos can press charges if they wish. theft is theft. you can't jut lend £3 from the till ! this is what is wrong with society. would it be okay for me to just borrow some of these:

from Spar and give them back in a few weeks? NO!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15

theft
θɛft/
noun

steal
stiːl/Submit
verb

Thank you carterjo-I honestly did just go literally "what have i done" as i left the store and as my shift was over like 30 minutes before shop closure i didn't wish to just run in there and put it back in as that would have been weird to them. As I already stated I fully intend to give every penny back tomorrow morning at 7 am to rightfully correct this matter.
Also, if they did investigate it (idk how strict they are on it) then you could be banned from working in hundreds of stores if charged (unlikely) or if you had to clarify the reason why you left that job when applying for a new one. In our staff room we have a poster up about internal theft by staff members and all the stores they would be unable to work in if it went on record or whatever.
borrowing without asking is considered theft. argos can press charges if they wish. theft is theft. you can't jut lend £3 from the till ! this is what is wrong with society. would it be okay for me to just borrow some of these:

from Spar and give them back in a few weeks? NO!!!!!!!!!

i was using the correct definitions of words because everyone here is misusing them. However its still a theft.

But you seem to have the misconception that small thefts will lead to him becoming a bank robber, get real.

Its
pound

pound

Hes giving it back, he took it in a moment of stupidity, its a harmless crime thats going to be fixed tomorrow, dont be a douche.

I bet you're someone who steals stuff everyday, just sits on his PC and pretends to be a goody boy.
Ever watched a movie online without paying?
Theft.
Bet you haven't committed any theft.
Original post by katehlouise
That's a ridiculous argument and you know it. I'd like to see someone using that excuse on a manager.

No one on here can say what will happen with his managers, but stealing is stealing.

Technically its not, its not even a ridiculous argument, because i used the correct definition of the words. However its still theft because the "theft" is committed at the time of him taking the item - whether he returns it or not, however hes giving it back tommorow, hes 16 and he made a dick move, i dont get what the problem is.
Technically its not, its not even a ridiculous argument, because i used the correct definition of the words. However its still theft because the "theft" is committed at the time of him taking the item - whether he returns it or not, however hes giving it back tommorow, hes 16 and he made a dick move, i dont get what the problem is.

The problem is that he did it in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending