The Student Room Group

I got chased last night and now I am scared... :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by LillyLisaa
I can do a cartwheel but I don't think it would hurt them? :biggrin:

Hmm it kinda would but can you do those forward flips?
Also your judgement must be pretty good to so if you do three forward flips in a row, really fast, and aim your feet to land on his chest. You could generate enough power to break something hopefully? :tongue:
Isn't it too late now? I don't have a description of him.. :frown:

No. The police will want to know, even if it's just as simple as the date/time/location.
I'm not at university... I'm actually starting college in September and there's no where else I can go.. :/

Have a look at your college website, or perhaps phone them up and ask them if they have a Gym club. If they say yes, then at least you know if you did skip summer classes you would be able to pick it up again.

Not necessarily, there may well be CCTV so you could still report the location and time, with a rough description.

Original post by shahbaz
Buy a taser, or dress like a guy with a hoodie on.

Non lethal weapons like tasers or pepper sprays are illegal in this country. It might be worth thinking about martial arts for confidence building however it is of course unwise to think about moving towards a harasser.
Original post by BlueSam3
Report it. Seriously, report it to the police (on 101, since it isn't an emergency). If it's happened once, chances are it's happened multiple times, to multiple people. The more information you can give the police, the better the chances they have of being able to deal with it. They'll also be able to give you much better information/help/advice than some random people on the internet can.

My thoughts, exactly!

He's probably on the look-out for victims. Chances are that he'll strike again, and he'll be more lucky next time.

You don't remember anything about him at all?

There are probably CCTV cameras in the area that you were chased, the police might be able to make an e-fit if he was caught on camera.

It's better to be safe than sorry!
It seems very odd for this guy to say "roar" While staring at you if he had any sort of serious evil intent, like a crime. It sounds like he had the evil intent to mess around with someone and make them scared. I don't think it would be a regular occurrence, but you can never be too safe.

Although I'm confused as to the sequence of events here? You saw him, you ran, so one assumes you're fairly far away from him now to think he was gone. Then all of a sudden he was close enough to be in audible range to go roar? One assumes he couldn't have just been behind you, or else you would have heard him clearly running behind you, so much so you would not think he wouldn't be there. So he somehow appeared from somewhere?

I also have had this happen. Although mine was just someone suspiciously following my every move, and I had to tail him away. So nothing serious ever happened.

I would go with the suggestions of may be talking to someone on the phone to ease your fears, plus it'd reassure everyone else that you're safe. Assuming you've told your parents about this, I'm sure they'd like that reassurance to know you're safe. This could also throw someone off chasing you, since some people would immediately know what was happening, they want to minimize the chances of them getting caught, doing that would not be a smart move. If the police knowing very quickly, chances are they'll arrive quickly, a few police cars around the area and I'm pretty sure they would not get far, if they're on foot. Couple this with some kicking and screaming, you'll attract a bunch of attention from somewhere. Those attention are eye witness accounts, which again not something the perpetrator wants, they'd be pretty silly to so whatever they were planning around a well lit street with a bunch of houses.

All in all, if you take these precautions the risk of something bad happening should be greatly minimized. Although that doesn't stop the experience of something like this being rather traumatic somewhat. If it continues to happen, report it and consider stopping going to that class, your safety is #1 here.
Reply 65
Heat lightning,I remember that play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by dominicwild
It seems very odd for this guy to say "roar" While staring at you if he had any sort of serious evil intent, like a crime. It sounds like he had the evil intent to mess around with someone and make them scared. I don't think it would be a regular occurrence, but you can never be too safe.

Although I'm confused as to the sequence of events here? You saw him, you ran, so one assumes you're fairly far away from him now to think he was gone. Then all of a sudden he was close enough to be in audible range to go roar? One assumes he couldn't have just been behind you, or else you would have heard him clearly running behind you, so much so you would not think he wouldn't be there. So he somehow appeared from somewhere?

I also have had this happen. Although mine was just someone suspiciously following my every move, and I had to tail him away. So nothing serious ever happened.

I would go with the suggestions of may be talking to someone on the phone to ease your fears, plus it'd reassure everyone else that you're safe. Assuming you've told your parents about this, I'm sure they'd like that reassurance to know you're safe. This could also throw someone off chasing you, since some people would immediately know what was happening, they want to minimize the chances of them getting caught, doing that would not be a smart move. If the police knowing very quickly, chances are they'll arrive quickly, a few police cars around the area and I'm pretty sure they would not get far, if they're on foot. Couple this with some kicking and screaming, you'll attract a bunch of attention from somewhere. Those attention are eye witness accounts, which again not something the perpetrator wants, they'd be pretty silly to so whatever they were planning around a well lit street with a bunch of houses.

All in all, if you take these precautions the risk of something bad happening should be greatly minimized. Although that doesn't stop the experience of something like this being rather traumatic somewhat. If it continues to happen, report it and consider stopping going to that class, your safety is #1 here.

That does make sense and it did make me more scared. I think it was more that he said something than what he said that scared me though as it made the situation seem a lot more real...

Basically what happened was I saw him walking up the street and he went behind this wall thing but I could see that he was looking at me. I carried on walking but then I looked back up the street because I thought I heard something and I saw him again standing there, staring at me. I got near the end of the street and saw that he was following me so I started running. I got across the road and halfway down this hill when I thought I would look behind me again to see if he had gone as I had started walking again and I didn't see him so I carried on walking. But then I looked over the road to see him standing there staring at me which is when he said roar. I'm not sure how he got there but he might have walked down this alley/tunnel thing or he might have just ran down the hill after I had and disguised himself in the darkness or behind something. I started running again after that and didn't stop until I got to my garden so I don't know if he carried on running after me or not.

I don't understand why someone would do this just to scare someone... It's messed up D:

I've told my parents and my mum said she will talk to me on the phone when I get off the bus and I've asked her to either stand at the door or the gate so that I will be able to see her when I get close and shout and have her visible if necessary. Once I've got down the hill it's more light and feels more safer but I'm going to be scared for awhile at the top now... My mum is going to pay half so I can get a taxi this week just to get more comfortable with it again...

If it happens again then I will tell the police but I'm hoping that the advice I've been given on here of being on the phone/getting an alarm will prevent anything from happening again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
My thoughts, exactly!

He's probably on the look-out for victims. Chances are that he'll strike again, and he'll be more lucky next time.

You don't remember anything about him at all?

There are probably CCTV cameras in the area that you were chased, the police might be able to make an e-fit if he was caught on camera.

It's better to be safe than sorry!

I don't think there's any CCTV cameras around... D: all what I remember is that he looked to be in his 40's and dressed in dark clothing.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Have a look at your college website, or perhaps phone them up and ask them if they have a Gym club. If they say yes, then at least you know if you did skip summer classes you would be able to pick it up again.

Not necessarily, there may well be CCTV so you could still report the location and time, with a rough description.

Non lethal weapons like tasers or pepper sprays are illegal in this country. It might be worth thinking about martial arts for confidence building however it is of course unwise to think about moving towards a harasser.

There is no gymnastics at college...

I don't think there is any CCTV around...

Do you think the alarm is a good idea??
Original post by BlueSam3
No. The police will want to know, even if it's just as simple as the date/time/location.

If it happens again I will call them as I think it will have been too long now... I don't want this to be happening to everyone...
There is no gymnastics at college...

I don't think there is any CCTV around...

Do you think the alarm is a good idea??

You should still report the incident (use the non emergency line), anything can help; perhaps others have reported a similar incident. Yes, I would definitely give it a go; if you can try to walk in the busiest area possible. have you looked at slightly longer but less secluded ways you might be able to walk home?
Original post by QuantumOverlord
You should still report the incident (use the non emergency line), anything can help; perhaps others have reported a similar incident. Yes, I would definitely give it a go; if you can try to walk in the busiest area possible. have you looked at slightly longer but less secluded ways you might be able to walk home?

What would I say? That's true. Give what a go? The alarm? This is actually the safest way as the other way involves an unlit alley...
Reply 73
I started a gymnastics class last night and it is from 8:30-10:30pm at night and the class is about an hour on the bus away from my house. Well last night when I got back (off the bus) it was about midnight and this man started following me so I ran and I thought he had gone but then I saw him and he stared straight at me and said something like roar. I was so scared and ran as quick as I could as I was thankfully on my street. I was so scared that I was going to get killed or something.

I really don't know what to do. I loved the class and I really want to go back but what if it happens again? I have to get the bus I as I won't be able to afford taxis twice a week when they're about £15 and I have to pay for the classes too. I'm not scared of getting the bus but I am now really scared of walking home when I get off... It is only a 5 minute walk and my street is usually pretty safe so I thought it would be fine but I can now see that it is not. If it was earlier I could probably even knock on someone's door and ask for help but I couldn't do that at that time. What should I do? I really don't want to give up my classes but I am scared.

personally? i'd rape him.

but seriously
id call the police. let hem know. the guy might be known to them. they might start patrolling the area.

safest bet is i'd go with a friend. got any flat mates to go with u?
Original post by fojodef
personally? i'd rape him.

but seriously
id call the police. let hem know. the guy might be known to them. they might start patrolling the area.

safest bet is i'd go with a friend. got any flat mates to go with u?

People are saying to call the police but I don't have a description of him... I live with my parents so that's not an option...
Reply 75
People are saying to call the police but I don't have a description of him... I live with my parents so that's not an option...

your parents cant give you a lift?
Original post by fojodef
your parents cant give you a lift?

They don't drive :/
Reply 77
They don't drive :/

wow

your parents failed
That does make sense and it did make me more scared. I think it was more that he said something than what he said that scared me though as it made the situation seem a lot more real...

Basically what happened was I saw him walking up the street and he went behind this wall thing but I could see that he was looking at me. I carried on walking but then I looked back up the street because I thought I heard something and I saw him again standing there, staring at me. I got near the end of the street and saw that he was following me so I started running. I got across the road and halfway down this hill when I thought I would look behind me again to see if he had gone as I had started walking again and I didn't see him so I carried on walking. But then I looked over the road to see him standing there staring at me which is when he said roar. I'm not sure how he got there but he might have walked down this alley/tunnel thing or he might have just ran down the hill after I had and disguised himself in the darkness or behind something. I started running again after that and didn't stop until I got to my garden so I don't know if he carried on running after me or not.

I don't understand why someone would do this just to scare someone... It's messed up D:

I've told my parents and my mum said she will talk to me on the phone when I get off the bus and I've asked her to either stand at the door or the gate so that I will be able to see her when I get close and shout and have her visible if necessary. Once I've got down the hill it's more light and feels more safer but I'm going to be scared for awhile at the top now... My mum is going to pay half so I can get a taxi this week just to get more comfortable with it again...

If it happens again then I will tell the police but I'm hoping that the advice I've been given on here of being on the phone/getting an alarm will prevent anything from happening again.

It would be messed up if it was just for the reason of scaring you. However I don't see any other logical reason he'd say "roar"? Since if he did have any physical evil intent, then all that does is get adrenaline pumping and you running faster.

It seems a lot of effort went into it, if he followed you THAT much. Therefore it could be possible he was heading in that direction himself? And he kept seeing you, and he saw you looking at him every now and then. So then he screws around going "roar".

It just seems more likely to be a coincidental silly person, than an actual threat to me, at this point anyway. His action of "roar" Seems far too silly for anything but that, but again can never be too careful.

I hope it doesn't happen to you again! It sucks it happened at all, but I'm sure these precautions should aid in your sense of comfort and security.
Original post by dominicwild
It would be messed up if it was just for the reason of scaring you. However I don't see any other logical reason he'd say "roar"? Since if he did have any physical evil intent, then all that does is get adrenaline pumping and you running faster.

It seems a lot of effort went into it, if he followed you THAT much. Therefore it could be possible he was heading in that direction himself? And he kept seeing you, and he saw you looking at him every now and then. So then he screws around going "roar".

It just seems more likely to be a coincidental silly person, than an actual threat to me, at this point anyway. His action of "roar" Seems far too silly for anything but that, but again can never be too careful.

I hope it doesn't happen to you again! It sucks it happened at all, but I'm sure these precautions should aid in your sense of comfort and security.

I guess he could have been drunk/on drugs or something... I don't know D: With all the bad things that happen to people these days it's understandable that this has scared me right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending