The Student Room Group

Why do so many asians study Pharmacy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To bring honour to their family.
Reply 21
Original post by teen1234
lol, you clearly dont know much about pharmacy. They're opening pharmacy schools left right and centre, government doesn't control student numbers and so anywhere can open a pharmacy school. This is why the entry standards are stupidly low at some schools.
Heck, even UCL/KCL has AAB entry requirements, a lot of people getting lower.

I think I've been misinformed. I thought vocational subjects meant that after graduating with a respectable 2.1 or above, you'd get a job in a hospital/community pharmacy? Like Doctors for example, they'll definitely get a job. I understand that pharmacy schools are increasing, but, right now it isn't that bad, is it?
Reply 22
Original post by AnharM
I think I've been misinformed. I thought vocational subjects meant that after graduating with a respectable 2.1 or above, you'd get a job in aG hospital/community pharmacy? Like Doctors for example, they'll definitely get a job. I understand that pharmacy schools are increasing, but, right now it isn't that bad, is it?

Getting a 2:1 or even 1st makes no difference in terms of getting a job in pharmacy. Yes, right now the situation is awful. Youve got no regulation of places and the demand for pharmacy places at uni is still high due to the number of asians
Average salary of a pharmacist is around 35k...
Reply 23
Getting a 2:1 or even 1st makes no difference in terms of getting a job in pharmacy. Yes, right now the situation is awful. Youve got no regulation of places and the demand for pharmacy places at uni is still high due to the number of asians
Average salary of a pharmacist is around 35k...

The starting salary of pharmacist isn't that high though...I don't care about the average salary, that's skewed because of the older pharmacists with experience. If people really want money, they should look into finance, banking or Medicine/Dentistry.
Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but you don't have to be very academically able to get into pharmacy. Every man and his dog is doing it.

Fair enough, but you do have to be academically able to get through it and graduate with an MPharm degree...

I'm an Asian (of Indian descent) and I'm studying pharmacy because I like the fact that there is a lot of science involved in the degree (especially pharmacology, which I love), combined with the fact that there is quite a bit of patient contact, and to top it off, it leads to a decent job at the end of the degree.

I don't think you could really say the same with biochemistry, physiology etc. graduates.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
because it's the only subject that they regard requires intelligence, or you can be successful with.

I have an undergrad and masters in music but all I ever hear from members of my family is 'you were so clever at school, I'm surprised you didn't do something more academic' [s]facepalm[/s

I'm British born but have kind of Asian roots ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by AnharM
The starting salary of pharmacist isn't that high though...I don't care about the average salary, that's skewed because of the older pharmacists with experience. If people really want money, they should look into finance, banking or Medicine/Dentistry.

Even med/dent doesnt pay that much
Reply 27
Original post by thegodofgod
Fair enough, but you do have to be academically able to get through it and graduate with an MPharm degree...

I'm an Asian (of Indian descent) and I'm studying pharmacy because I like the fact that there is a lot of science involved in the degree (especially pharmacology, which I love), combined with the fact that there is quite a bit of patient contact, and to top it off, it leads to a decent job at the end of the degree.

I don't think you could really say the same with biochemistry, physiology etc. graduates.

The degree is difficult, im very aware of that, was just talking about entry.
Original post by alevelzzz
It seems like all asians study pharmacy, why? I don't see how being a pharmacist would be better than being a dentist or a doctor.
Interested to find out

All family nonsense mostly. Most are stuck in the past and only see such careers as lucrative.
everyone says the ones who do pharmacy are the ones who didnt get into medicine. i guess its sort of true but there are those who genuinely like the course. asians generally aim for STEM degrees to make the parents happy. I wouldnt dare tell my parents i was doing art/english i'd get beaten up
I study computer science. I wanted to go for arts but then I realized that I can always do arts as a hobby.
Original post by pinejuice
everyone says the ones who do pharmacy are the ones who didnt get into medicine. i guess its sort of true but there are those who genuinely like the course. asians generally aim for STEM degrees to make the parents happy. I wouldnt dare tell my parents i was doing art/english i'd get beaten up

What about dentistry?
Reply 32
Even med/dent doesnt pay that much

Their salary rises quite a lot every year though, whereas it doesn't rise as much for Pharmacists. In FY2 they make around £28k, £30k+ in London hospitals.
What about dentistry?

not as much as pharmacy :smile: isnt dentistry harder? i dont know :s-smilie:
not as much as pharmacy :smile: isnt dentistry harder? i dont know :s-smilie:

No I mean isnt there dentistry rejects in pharmacy too. Dentistry = medicine in terms of entry requirements I think
No I mean isnt there dentistry rejects in pharmacy too. Dentistry = medicine in terms of entry requirements I think

probably actually. its medicine>denistry>pharmacy so yep that would make sense. it can mean alot of stress for the student but their parents want whats best for them :smile:
probably actually. its medicine>denistry>pharmacy so yep that would make sense. it can mean alot of stress for the student but their parents want whats best for them :smile:

How is medicine>dentistry? lol its aaa
Original post by AnharM
What type of Asians are you talking about? South Asian?

I'm from a South Asian area in London, so I know how it is. I can say that for the students who take Science A-Levels, a large number of them will aim for Pharmacy. Obviously the ones that are clever enough to do so will apply, and they'll most likely apply to places like KCL and UCL.

Pharmacy is a vocational degree, so you're definitely getting a job after the degree. I think that's what people like, job security. Plus, my traditional South Asian mum looks up to pharmacists, so I'm sure most South Asian parents feel the same way about them. They don't know how the education system works. They think it's rather difficult to get into Pharmacy at university, when it's really not.

Lol it is the absolute opposite. So many pharmacists (a ridiculous amount) for such few jobs
Reply 38
Original post by GreenOut
Lol it is the absolute opposite. So many pharmacists (a ridiculous amount) for such few jobs

^^
Reply 39

lol, try finding a dentistry student whos doing dentistry because they couldn't get into medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest