The Student Room Group

Who pays, girl or guy?

So if you go on a date or are in a relationship, do you pay for the girl always or split costs evenly when going out? Girls and guys what do you prefer?
Is it a deal breaker if the girl expects you to pay most of the time?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Split the cost.
I prefer to pay for the both of us, but only because I have this thing about letting others pay for me. I know its weird and people find it annoying but I wouldnt feel right if I didnt.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Most girls would prefer the guy to pay, because it shows that he is a gentleman.
1st till 3rd date : I always split the bill though not necessarily 50:50

After that can always take turns to pay unless it is somewhere expensive then I pay my share as I don't order the cheapest thing on the menu.

I don't really buy into the guy should pay for the date as it is the gentlemanly thing to do etc. We don't live in the 1950s :smile:
Reply 5
Depends. If you are both students then you are both poor so why would the man pay? Just go Dutch. Mind you if you were a student you probably wouldn't go to a restaurant in the first place.

Some girls don't like you to buy them drinks. That way if they sleep with you they won't feel like a hooker.

Tip: Never buy girls drinks.

On the other hand if you are a doctor dating a nurse then you should pay because you earn more money.
Reply 6
as a gentleman i pay, but very few things are more annoying than girls looking for free meals/drinks (clubbing)
Split 50 50. After a few dates then I don't mind treating especially if I was the one who asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
50/50 split in the early days, don't really keep track of it later on. I find women who expect to be paid for quite weak, it must be quite an undignified existence to roll around expecting someone else to look after you.

It's nothing to do with being a 'gentleman'. It's simply a leftover from the days when men worked (and had money) and women did not.
Split unless we're long term. Then probably split or take turns to pay - whatever's easier.
UK's waitering staff/cashiers are bare sexist and loves to assume/jump to conclusions. They gives me this funny look when my gf is paying but they don't know I paid most of the time and my gf insisted on paying since she feels guilty I pay almost every time.
Nobody pays.

DINE AND DASH!!!
Original post by NOONA.
Most girls would prefer the guy to pay, because it shows that he is a gentleman.

Would most girls also prefer to not be allowed to work and earn money? (That is, after all, why the tradition exists in the first place.)
My boyfriend paid, exclusively, for our early dates (although, I did offer to split costs). We've been together over a year now and tend to split everything 50 / 50 or one will pay to 'treat' the other, depending on the reason we've gone out.
I always split the tabs. I know old-fashioned chivalry is a charming trait in a guy, but I find it weird when men open doors for me, or offer to take me to a restaurant and pay the entire bill of all the food I just ate like a pig :ahee: ! I think it might be that I love to eat out on my own in restaurants with British Vogue, so I do not see the point in why that has to change when I'm out with a guy. I mean the only time anyone ever pays for my dinner is when I'm out with my Dad but that's entirely different, I mean he's my Dad, obvs. he'll pay for our dinner :lolwut: !
Original post by Ade9000
Nobody pays.

DINE AND DASH!!!

Lol, that's the spirit.
Original post by NOONA.

*Most girls would prefer the guy to pay, because they think it shows that he has money.
dont usually split it 50 50 at the time, I might pay for one meal, girlfriend might pay for the next, neither of us a particularly fussed about enforcing each other to pay up.
The bill should be split 50/50, just as it would if one was with friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it's whoever suggested the date, I asked my fiance out the first time so I paid for the date we have halved costs until I got pregnant and I have been looking after our child so I don't have much money spare so he pays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending