The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Missed offer but still got accepted

Do you know anyone/or experienced missing an offer from UCL (ABB requirement) and got in with ABC or AAC?
I expect many of you who will say things such as "If you can't meet that offer how are you expected to study in UCL" but please, avoid the negativity.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jsccsx1
Do you know anyone/or experienced missing an offer from UCL (ABB requirement) and got in with ABC or AAC?
I expect many of you who will say things such as "If you can't meet that offer how are you expected to study in UCL" but please, avoid the negativity.

Possible, but rare. If I may ask, which course are you applying to?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by MichelBraga
Possible, but rare. If I may ask, which course are you applying to?

history and philosophy of science
Original post by jsccsx1
history and philosophy of science

I don't know how much is the applicant per place ratio, but I think you can get in; it doesn't seem to have a high demand.
Reply 4
I don't know how much is the applicant per place ratio, but I think you can get in; it doesn't seem to have a high demand.

I think there is only about 20 places. It's definitely not over subscribed.. in fact, it's probably under subscribed. Where do yo u study if you dont mind me asking
Original post by jsccsx1
I think there is only about 20 places. It's definitely not over subscribed.. in fact, it's probably under subscribed. Where do yo u study if you dont mind me asking

I'm at UCL as well.

20 places makes it a really exclusive course, specially because it is a bachelor program. But still, I think your chances are good.
Reply 6
I'm at UCL as well.

20 places makes it a really exclusive course, specially because it is a bachelor program. But still, I think your chances are good.

Hmm.. if it's an exclusive course does that bring a disadvantage or otherwise? I dont think there a lot of people who applies to this course..

What are you studying?
Original post by jsccsx1
Hmm.. if it's an exclusive course does that bring a disadvantage or otherwise? I dont think there a lot of people who applies to this course..

What are you studying?

Exclusivity in the way that it is selective. It is quite impossible that, considering the entire world, there are less than 20 people interested in this course.

Anthropology.
Reply 8
Exclusivity in the way that it is selective. It is quite impossible that, considering the entire world, there are less than 20 people interested in this course.

Anthropology.

Apart from UCL, only Cambridge and Leeds do the same course. Gosh, I'm quite scared now :s-smilie:
Reply 9

Anthropology.

I checked, there are 27 places., 4 applications per place.
My brother goes to the uni of birmingham. He needed AAA (or A*AA i think) to get in but he only got ABC and he still got accepted.
Original post by moonriver96
My brother goes to the uni of birmingham. He needed AAA (or A*AA i think) to get in but he only got ABC and he still got accepted.

That's great! But, with all dUE respect, there's a big gap between UCL and Birmingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know UCL give out reduced offers if they really like you. A friend of mind got BBB for medicine there. And turned it down :^_^:
That's great! But, with all do respect, there's a big gap between UCL and Birmingham.

really? i thought birmingham was quite a respected uni too
Original post by KrazyKoala
I know UCL give out reduced offers if they really like you. A friend of mind got BBB for medicine there. And turned it down :^_^:

That's a fact, if UCL gives an offer, they are interested not only in the grades, but in the overall profile. But your friend was a really rare exception, I know two girls that were rejected from UCL with AAB.
Reply 15
Original post by KrazyKoala

BBB for medicine?! that's incredible.. where did your friend choose to study then?
Original post by moonriver96
really? i thought birmingham was quite a respected uni too

It's not a bad university at all, but UCL is top 5 in the UK. It's different, you can't compare them, they are in different levels.
That's great! But, with all do respect, there's a big gap between UCL and Birmingham.

*due respect. As in the respect that is due. What's do respect?

Original post by manchesterunited15
*due respect. As in the respect that is due. What's do respect?

Blame it on my foreign autocorrect, dear Grammar Nazi. But I'll be more careful from now on. Just to please you.
:h:
Original post by jsccsx1

You have to persistently email the professors in charge. I got into UCL for engineering with entry requirements A*AA, but they let me in with A*AB after initially rejecting me on UCAS track. They emailed me to let me know they would open a slot in clearing for 5 minutes on a particular day and I would have to enrol myself then or miss the window as UCL don't do clearing.

Exceptions can always be made if you're persuasive enough...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending