The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Missed offer but still got accepted

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GreenOut
You have to persistently email the professors in charge. I got into UCL for engineering with entry requirements A*AA, but they let me in with A*AB after initially rejecting me on UCAS track. They emailed me to let me know they would open a slot in clearing for 5 minutes on a particular day and I would have to enrol myself then or miss the window as UCL don't do clearing.

Exceptions can always be made if you're persuasive enough...

That sounds really intense. Do you mean I should e-mail the admissions tutor (not the other professors)? Did they e-mail you that when you first called/emailed them??
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
You have to persistently email the professors in charge. I got into UCL for engineering with entry requirements A*AA, but they let me in with A*AB after initially rejecting me on UCAS track. They emailed me to let me know they would open a slot in clearing for 5 minutes on a particular day and I would have to enrol myself then or miss the window as UCL don't do clearing.

Exceptions can always be made if you're persuasive enough...

And what do you mean enroll yourself within that 5 minute slot.. ?
Original post by jsccsx1
That sounds really intense. Do you mean I should e-mail the admissions tutor (not the other professors)? Did they e-mail you that when you first called/emailed them??

Original post by jsccsx1
And what do you mean enroll yourself within that 5 minute slot.. ?

After I missed my offer I got rejections on Track. UCL was my insurance. I emailed the admissions tutor saying something like 'look, I know you got a space somewhere to fit me in, and I really want to join' or something along those lines. They emailed back saying they'll see what they can do and a few days later I got a response saying yes we'll take u, but u need to enrol via UCAS.

UCL don't do clearing, but they had a link on clearing for 5 minutes, and I had to stay logged on to my computer and enrol into UCL via clearing while they were in clearing. They can't stay open for longer than that because other people might try and get on the course, but UCL doesn't do clearing ever so they didn't want that to happen.

Does that make it clearer? BTW your courses entry requirements are low, lower entry requirements usually means more vacancies...
Original post by MichelBraga
That's great! But, with all dUE respect, there's a big gap between UCL and Birmingham.

No there isn't. Stop worshipping those stupid rankings.
Original post by moonriver96
really? i thought birmingham was quite a respected uni too

Don't listen to that asshat. Birmingham is every bit as respected as UCL.
Original post by jsccsx1
BBB for medicine?! that's incredible.. where did your friend choose to study then?

Can't remember lol, but it certainly wasn't in the top ones (or at least not what people consider). It was at a uni that did medicine, but isn't particularly high ranked I believe for other subjects. I know people were telling him he was crazy. Bright guy too easily got AAA (and would have got equivalent to A*A*A* if he took A levels when A* was introduced).
Original post by Swordswoman
No there isn't. Stop worshipping those stupid rankings.

Ranking? Who said anything about ranking? I have no clue where Birmingham is on any ranking, my argument is based on facts and my own perception. The amount of research made at UCL is immensely superior, UCL has more world-leading scholars and the whole UoL network provides much more infrastructure and resources than Birmingham.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I never said that Birmingham is a bad uni. Stop crying about it.
(edited 9 years ago)

No it's not. Birmingham is respected, yes - as are most unis. As respected as UCL? No.

2 graduates with the exact same quaifications+experience+personality - one from Bham, one from UCL. It is the UCL graduate who will be preferred, every time.

Wow, you are really hurt. Ok, fine, Birmingham is awesome, it's like a cheaper version of UCL. Yay.
No it's not. Birmingham is respected, yes - as are most unis. As respected as UCL? No.

2 graduates with the exact same quaifications+experience+personality - one from Bham, one from UCL. It is the UCL graduate who will be preferred, every time.

You are doomed, my friend. He/she will unleash all his Birmingham-ish fury upon you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
After I missed my offer I got rejections on Track. UCL was my insurance. I emailed the admissions tutor saying something like 'look, I know you got a space somewhere to fit me in, and I really want to join' or something along those lines. They emailed back saying they'll see what they can do and a few days later I got a response saying yes we'll take u, but u need to enrol via UCAS.

UCL don't do clearing, but they had a link on clearing for 5 minutes, and I had to stay logged on to my computer and enrol into UCL via clearing while they were in clearing. They can't stay open for longer than that because other people might try and get on the course, but UCL doesn't do clearing ever so they didn't want that to happen.

Does that make it clearer? BTW your courses entry requirements are low, lower entry requirements usually means more vacancies...

Alright i got you. Do you suggest I ring them up over e-mailing? yeah i know, AAB-ABB requirement. 27 places for history and philosophy of science + another course which is: science in society.
I suppose if they do have vacant places, they would still leave it empty as UCL never goes through clearing, right?
Original post by jsccsx1
Alright i got you. Do you suggest I ring them up over e-mailing? yeah i know, AAB-ABB requirement. 27 places for history and philosophy of science + another course which is: science in society.
I suppose if they do have vacant places, they would still leave it empty as UCL never goes through clearing, right?

You can try and ring them, but they might not be in the offices during the summer. E-mail them if you can't talk to them because they'll definitely check their email ...eventually.

In reference to your second question - right.
You are doomed, my friend. He/she will unleash all his Birmingham-ish fury upon you.

Looks like he's gone back to Birmingham
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow, you are really hurt. Ok, fine, Birmingham is awesome, it's like a cheaper version of UCL. Yay.

Aww haha- have to admit your little tiff with swordswoman made me chuckle a bit :biggrin: but i do see your point and where you're coming from :smile: to me, most uni's are more or less equal unless it's oxbridge or some really crappy uni :smile:
I laugh at people who base everything of university league tables which are most likely biased anyway... More to a uni that a ranking on a stupid league table
Original post by jamesfancourt
I laugh at people who base everything of university league tables which are most likely biased anyway... More to a uni that a ranking on a stupid league table

I agree, but people who get angry about league tables are even worse. You don't need stupid league tables/rankings to see that UCL has more resources than Birmingham, but that doesn't disqualify Birmingham at all. But I'll stop answering those kind of questions, people are extremely sensible around here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
I have an A*AA offer for civil engineering at UCL (firm) and im probably gonna get AAB but I really really want to get in.
Do I still have a good chance? how competitive is the civil eng. course they offer?
I didn't make my offer and got in
Interesting sounding degree!

From my general experience, a fair few universities accept offers who just miss out on requirements.
Original post by ELBOYZ
I have an A*AA offer for civil engineering at UCL (firm) and im probably gonna get AAB but I really really want to get in.
Do I still have a good chance? how competitive is the civil eng. course they offer?

If you get AAA or A*AB then u can email them and they'll probably let u in. The civil engineering staff are lovely.
Reply 39
Original post by Larynx.pharynx
I didn't make my offer and got in

Which course, offer and grades did you eventually get in with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending