The Student Room Group

Why do people ask about the age of your partner?

I don't quite know why people ask about the age of your partner, it has nothing to do with them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because sometimes relationships can be legally wrong i.e. when a 19 y/o is going out with someone who's 15.
Original post by ilem
Because sometimes relationships can be legally wrong i.e. when a 19 y/o is going out with someone who's 15.

If they're happy they're happy, I see nothing wrong with it. Sex isn't everything to a relationship. A relationship can be done without sex and vice versa. It's got nothing to do with the other people. Just becuase they're in a relationship it doesn't mean they are having sex.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
If they're happy they're happy, I see nothing wrong with it. Sex isn't everything to a relationship. A relationship can be done without sex and vice versa. It's got nothing to do with the other people. Just becuase they're in a relationship it doesn't mean they are having sex.

You're giving off an "I'm in a sexual relationship with/as an underage person" vibe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
You're giving off an "I'm in a sexual relationship with/as an underage person" vibe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, that's illegal, sex doesn't define a relationship.
Original post by anonymouspie227
Aren't you dating a 15 year old? And you're 21?! That's why.

That hasn't got anything to do with this.

It's not just sex that's illegal it's anything past a kiss, which I guess in the right courtroom could get you put away too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually yes, and that's why they have to be over the age of consent.
Because anyone going out with a 15 year old in their twenties is going to make them feel uncomfortable.

The existence or absence of sex in a relationship is a big part of how people measure its importance. Generally if you are in a relationship with someone and shagging them then it is deemed by others to be the most important non-familial relationship in your life, if you aren't it is assumed they are just your friend and not as important to you as someone who is both your sexual partner and your friend.

Also, just generally ask people's ages as it's quite an important piece of informatin about someone, sure you've had people ask how old your mum, dad, sister, brother, cousin, colleague, friend, hamster etc. are in the past.
To find out if their age gap is appropriate enough in the eyes of today's society, e.g. couples with small age gap ( ah that's okay) couples with large age gap ( tell them its weird or judge them without consideration.
However, this doesn't apply to everyone as some just want to know out of curiosity really.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
It's not just sex that's illegal it's anything past a kiss, which I guess in the right courtroom could get you put away too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by anonymouspie227
It does, people want to know if it's legal or not. Or if there are going to be any problems...

Original post by Monsieur Gamma
Actually yes, and that's why they have to be over the age of consent.

Original post by consumed by stuff
Because anyone going out with a 15 year old in their twenties is going to make them feel uncomfortable.

Oh, okay. Kissing isn't bad.

There aren't any problems with my relationship. The age of consent is only regarding sex.

I don't feel uncomfortable... It feels quite right.
Oh, okay. Kissing isn't bad.

There aren't any problems with my relationship. The age of consent is only regarding sex.

I don't feel uncomfortable... It feels quite right.

Kissing is classified as sexual contact ... so it isn't right.
Kissing is classified as sexual contact ... so it isn't right.

Kissing isn't sexual.
Kissing isn't sexual.

I can imagine OP on Jeremy Kyle and Jeremy saying "Have you have any sexual contact, from kissing to intercourse, with this 13 year old girl" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My point is ... "don't quite know why people ask about the age of your partner, it has nothing to do with them."

Because no one wants to be accused and charged of statutory rape - end of. It has almost everything to do with me.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can imagine OP on Jeremy Kyle and Jeremy saying "Have you have any sexual contact, from kissing to intercourse, with this 13 year old girl" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My point is ... "don't quite know why people ask about the age of your partner, it has nothing to do with them."

Because no one wants to be accused and charged of statutory rape - end of. It has almost everything to do with me.

I'm not a sex offender... .-.

I know that no one wants to be accused of that.
I'm not a sex offender... .-.

I know that no one wants to be accused of that.

Well then what is your question?? why bother posting this thread in the first place?
Well then what is your question?? why bother posting this thread in the first place?

I just wanted to know why people ask the age of people#s partners.
Funny you ask this given your girlfriend is 15

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wanted to know why people ask the age of people#s partners.

Because it's usually interesting and it's hardly an offensive question, I don't think they expect you to say you're in a relationship with an underage girl

Ps kissing is very sexual

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending