The Student Room Group

Becoming a Doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I find it strange they don't use stuff like that more in medicine. Perhaps it's because the technology for a truly reliable system isn't ready yet. Humans are biased, imperfect etc, I can imagine computers could really help with lots of aspects of medicine.

An app isn't perfect but for most cases it'd work every well and save a lot of money.

I think the main reason it won't be implemented soon is due to people's fear of technology and stuff, most people, especially older people won't use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
A finance degree from a good uni will get you on a 50k packet if you play your cards right. This takes considerably less time as becoming a GP.

Do you know how many years of study it takes to become a consultant?
If money is your motivation, I suggest you look at IB/ChemEng/Accounts - These are where the money is. Look it up if you dont believe me.

Naive Imbeciles like you are the reason why the people who genuinely want to do medicine have to struggle to get places.

Going to a TOP uni will get you thise jobs. The corporate world is not for me either, medicine and dentistry are for me from the extensive work experience ive had. Im not just looking for money, but its a big factor
Take biology instead of psychology. Biology is required by many medical schools and psychology is considered a fairly 'soft' subject.
Original post by KhanNab
I don't think the GCSE grades you've presented to the forum would be enough. Unless as someone else stated you performed exceptionally well (e.g. A*s all around) at A levels and have a high UKCAT.

I have a friend who is currently in Medicine who was EXTREMELY lucky to get onto his course with just 6 A*s at GCSE.

Godspeed

Hello,

I just came across your post and was wondering what you would consider to be good GCSE grades? I have 5 A*, 5As and 1 B. I thought that was decent? (Well I hope so anyway) I've finished my AS Levels, so didn't have any problems getting on to the subjects I wanted. But do you think it may pose a problem in the future?
Reply 44
Original post by Habiba Hussain
Hello,

I just came across your post and was wondering what you would consider to be good GCSE grades? I have 5 A*, 5As and 1 B. I thought that was decent? (Well I hope so anyway) I've finished my AS Levels, so didn't have any problems getting on to the subjects I wanted. But do you think it may pose a problem in the future?

Hi,

It's not what I consider good GCSE grades, it's what certain medical schools want. Most universities once looking past the several As and A*s you need at the end of your A levels, will look at the number of A*s you gained at GCSE. Usually, 7 is required (based completely on my own experience). Contact some universities and find out. I'm sure they'd tell you what their requirements are post A-level filtering.

Good luck
Original post by Habiba Hussain
Hello,

You don't need 7A*. Different medical schools use GCSEs in different ways, just make sure to look at the policies of the different medical schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending