The Student Room Group

Can you ask a girl out 8 years later?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Just want to point out...

8 years ago: Met her, we got on really well, but she had a bf. I was too nervous to ask for her number.

Present day: I had not looked her up or met her for 8 years. I literally came across her profile online BY CHANCE!!!
Original post by pshah2
This show is AWESOME!!!

Cool. Will check it out. Any other advice wingman?

Agreed! Your first post made me think himym as well but I didn't mention it for fear of looking weird :')
I have to disagree with some of the posters on the final page, as long as you're planning to just give it a go and back off if she doesn't seem interested I really don't see what's wrong with wanting to do it properly, ie in person, in case it does all go right!
The old workplace was a decent plan, definitely go in as 'we were friends and I know she worked here, we fell out of contact a little and was just wondering where she's working now' - might be better to go to some more junior staff as they may have been her friends/will likely be more helpful. If you know the current company she's working in surely a Google search will give you her address though?
P.S. I think it's sad that it's cool to facebook stalk someone and ask them out on there but apparently creepy/weird to want to do it in real life!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by joker12345
Agreed! Your first post made me think himym as well but I didn't mention it for fear of looking weird :')
I have to disagree with some of the posters on the final page, as long as you're planning to just give it a go and back off if she doesn't seem interested I really don't see what's wrong with wanting to do it properly, ie in person, in case it does all go right!
The old workplace was a decent plan, definitely go in as 'we were friends and I know she worked here, we fell out of contact a little and was just wondering where she's working now' - might be better to go to some more junior staff as they may have been her friends/will likely be more helpful. If you know the current company she's working in surely a Google search will give you her address though?
P.S. I think it's sad that it's cool to facebook stalk someone and ask them out on there but apparently creepy/weird to want to do it in real life!

Dude HIGH FIVE to your post! Now this is the type of wingman I need!

Agreed, junior staff or other interns will be best I think. How would you put it, that was looking to get back in touch? Looks like a pricey place, so I better suit up haha!

Yeah, I'm just more of a face to face person tbh. And I agree that it is sad if the world is now a place where it seems to be okay to facebook stalk someone, but not okay to actually talk to them in person! I mean if mankind continues to progress down this path... how would you ever use the "Have you met Ted" line in a bar in person again!!

And HIMYM is awesome period! It's cool, and don't be afraid to say it! Mental high five!
There is a big difference between someone you haven't spoken to in eight years sending you a message on FB and that same person turning up out the blue having tracked you down. I have been in a similar situation to the girl in this story, except that I had been in regular contact with the guy. He did a few things that he thought were romantic, and sadly the police had to be called. Is leaving flowers outside someone's house at 1am as a secret admirer romantic in the movies? Yes. Is it actually pretty scary when you have no idea how this guy knew you lived in that house? Incredibly.
Original post by Anonymous
There is a big difference between someone you haven't spoken to in eight years sending you a message on FB and that same person turning up out the blue having tracked you down. I have been in a similar situation to the girl in this story, except that I had been in regular contact with the guy. He did a few things that he thought were romantic, and sadly the police had to be called. Is leaving flowers outside someone's house at 1am as a secret admirer romantic in the movies? Yes. Is it actually pretty scary when you have no idea how this guy knew you lived in that house? Incredibly.

Yeah but to be fair to OP, I don't think he is like that guy.

He's just seen her by chance. Not stalkng her forever.
Yeah but to be fair to OP, I don't think he is like that guy.

He's just seen her by chance. Not stalkng her forever.

I don't really see much difference. The guy wasn't a bad guy, he was just horribly misguided and thought movies were a good way to live life by. The sad thing is, if he'd asked me out like a normal person I think I would have actually said yes.
What about contacting them on Twitter?
Reply 107
What about contacting them on Twitter?

Hmm could do.. what does everyone else think?

What about tweeting them hello remember me?
Reply 108
Original post by Radio
Haha yeah I think you'd need to find a few more friends too but you could always get away with saying something like "I'm new to Facebook" and she'd understand why it's not as busy as an older profile.

Facebook is the 21st century stalking for me even just responding to some of the things she's posted and showing an interest will remind her that you exist. I'm the same though, there are definitely some people I'd like to accidentally-on-purpose meet in the street!

Haha I see your point. What about setting up a Twitter account and tweeting hello? Or is that not the same?
Reply 109
Original post by pshah2
Haha I see your point. What about setting up a Twitter account and tweeting hello? Or is that not the same?

That could work too, I tend to go with Facebook because I can pretend I casually came across them and I don't need to send them a message to find out about their life but I suppose Twitter could work too :smile:
Original post by Radio
That could work too, I tend to go with Facebook because I can pretend I casually came across them and I don't need to send them a message to find out about their life but I suppose Twitter could work too :smile:

Yeah FB good for seeing pictures. Guess you could add pictures on Twitter too though. Depends, try both, she may prefer one over the other.

Can you ask for her number on Twitter though privately?

Good luck OP!
Reply 111
Original post by Radio

Right I see.

So I'd still need to set up a background of my life on FB though I think. Plus friend others haha

Even on Twitter, same thing I guess. But how would I show myself off on Twitter?

Also should the aim then be, when flirting on FB, to comment on her stuff, and then ask for a catch up after a while, or ask for her number?

I'm such a novice at this lol.
Original post by pshah2
Right I see.

So I'd still need to set up a background of my life on FB though I think. Plus friend others haha

Even on Twitter, same thing I guess. But how would I show myself off on Twitter?

Also should the aim then be, when flirting on FB, to comment on her stuff, and then ask for a catch up after a while, or ask for her number?

I'm such a novice at this lol.

You don't have to- you can hide most things on FB. A guy I've been friends with since primary school has it, and all I can see is his name, birthday and a photo. I don't even know how many friends he has. It's uncommon, but some people prefer their privacy.

If I were you, I'd exchange a few messages, say that you notice she lives near X place. You're nearby too, would she like to meet and catch up.
Reply 113
You don't have to- you can hide most things on FB. A guy I've been friends with since primary school has it, and all I can see is his name, birthday and a photo. I don't even know how many friends he has. It's uncommon, but some people prefer their privacy.

If I were you, I'd exchange a few messages, say that you notice she lives near X place. You're nearby too, would she like to meet and catch up.

Okay cool. But if I friend her, then can't she see my profile? It's going to be empty (save for my name and profile pic) as I just set up an account. There wouldn't be any conversations or albums..
Reply 114
Original post by joker12345

LEGENDARY!

Also real life is what matters... having a million friends on facebook doesn't seem the same as having even just one or two or a few real friends like in Friends or HIMYM.

___________________________-

"I'm Lorenzo... Lorenzo Von Matterhorn..... True Story."
Original post by pshah2
Okay cool. But if I friend her, then can't she see my profile? It's going to be empty (save for my name and profile pic) as I just set up an account. There wouldn't be any conversations or albums..

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am friends with the guy from primary school and that is all I can see. You can change it all in the privacy settings, just put everything to private. It might say when you first got your account, but that's not really a big deal.
Reply 116
Maybe I wasn't clear. I am friends with the guy from primary school and that is all I can see. You can change it all in the privacy settings, just put everything to private. It might say when you first got your account, but that's not really a big deal.

Okay can try that I guess..
He did a few things that he thought were romantic, and sadly the police had to be called. Is leaving flowers outside someone's house at 1am as a secret admirer romantic in the movies? Yes. Is it actually pretty scary when you have no idea how this guy knew you lived in that house? Incredibly.

omg :rofl:

tell more....

did you get a RO?
But wait about 2 to 3 weeks before friending her on fb. Also send a message with the request saying you recognised her and would love to catch up.

Comment on every other picture.
Reply 119

Cool. But would she be responsive or friendly if my entire profile was just all private?
What should I say n the friend request? Sorry I am a newbie!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending