The Student Room Group

AS levels went weird

I did Biology, Chem, Maths and Psychology. At first, I thought I'd done terrible in Chemistry and thought my best exam was Psychology; I got an A in Chemistry and a C in Psychology. Then, in biology, I got an A in unit 2 and the empa but a D in unit 1. I really don't remember the exam in Biology or Psychology going that badly! So my questions are what should I do about these? This is p******* me off because I would have liked to apply to Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 08jogon
I did Biology, Chem, Maths and Psychology. At first, I thought I'd done terrible in Chemistry and thought my best exam was Psychology; I got an A in Chemistry and a C in Psychology. Then, in biology, I got an A in unit 2 and the empa but a D in unit 1. I really don't remember the exam in Biology or Psychology going that badly! So my questions are what should I do about these? This is p******* me off because I would have liked to apply to Oxford

Same happened to me!
And my whole class.
We do AQA Psychology A and the results were horrific. I have had A's ever since October and so has most of my friends.
The highest grade was 2 B grades, I got a D, 10 got E's and the rest got U.
If I were you I'd ask your teacher what the hell went wrong because it's obviously affected a lot of people. I haven't heard anyone yet get an amazing grade in this spec for Psychology. My friend thinks they have been volatile with the mark scheme which wouldn't surprise me.
So what my teacher is doing is recalling all of our papers because he doesn't understand how 6/7 people have gone from A grades to D and below.
The same thing seems to have happened with AQA Geography, the results are dodgy.
Hopefully something will come out of it, for everyone - good luck
Reply 2
Original post by mm200297
Same happened to me!
And my whole class.
We do AQA Psychology A and the results were horrific. I have had A's ever since October and so has most of my friends.
If I were you I'd ask your teacher what the hell went wrong because it's obviously affected a lot of people. I haven't heard anyone yet get an amazing grade in this spec for Psychology. My friend thinks they have been volatile with the mark scheme which wouldn't surprise me.
So what my teacher is doing is recalling all of our papers because he doesn't understand how 6/7 people have gone from A grades to D and below.
The same thing seems to have happened with AQA Geography, the results are dodgy.

Woah that's weird because we did AQA PSYA too! I just don't know wth happened, I got a B (fair enough) in unit 1 and then a D in unit 2 which is really messing with my head
Reply 3
Exactly guys! Same thing happened to my class. We have had A's all the way through the year and I think 90% people in my class got a C or below!!
I was shocked when I looked at my results cause I felt so confident when I walked out the exam hall and thought that I'd get an A for sure. However, it turned out a C for both of my units!! I'm not going to uni with that :frown:
Reply 4
Same happened to me!
And my whole class.

I hope so I was predicted AABB
I got CDDU. My U was in Psychology and the rest of my class was the same. It's so depressing.
Reply 5
Original post by koeytin
Exactly guys! Same thing happened to my class. We have had A's all the way through the year and I think 90% people in my class got a C or below!!
I was shocked when I looked at my results cause I felt so confident when I walked out the exam hall and thought that I'd get an A for sure. However, it turned out a C for both of my units!! I'm not going to uni with that :frown:

Did better than me!
I got an E in Unit 1. And I thought that exam was easy. My teacher was gutted yesterday. He didn't understand what happened.
C in Unit 2 but still disappointed.

Worst results day ever :unimpressed:
Reply 6
Original post by 08jogon

Well it isn't so bad when you look at it objectively. Resit unit 1 bio to get an A overall, and resit the necessary exams in Psychology.

I don't know what you got for maths - but sometimes it is actually better doing C2 along with C3 and C4; it wouldn't have bothered me too much as long as I maintained a good standard for C2 by doing exam questions each week.

Good luck!
Same happened to me!
And my whole class.

I was expecting at least 90%+ and got a B -_-. Seriously this complete bs man. I am going to have to pay myself to get the remark aswell and I ain't too rich haha.
Same for me with biology (kinda), I was predicted a C by my teacher which I was actually kinda pissed off with, I wanted atleast a B! anyway I worked soooo hard and apart from the empa, found unit 1 and 2 okay! I ended up getting a C in unit 1, a B in unit 2 and a C in the empa, making a C overall. I need a B in bio for uni, so I'm gonna have to retake unit 1 I think - it's so strange seeing as I found unit 1 okay when I came out?? Its also strange what you said about the aqa psychology, I know lots of people who failed, but I got an A to my amazement..
Reply 9
Original post by toxiictests
I was expecting at least 90%+ and got a B -_-. Seriously this complete bs man. I am going to have to pay myself to get the remark aswell and I ain't too rich haha.

Surely the sixth form you attend would pay for it?
I'm getting 4 exams remarked and I don't have to pay. (and my school is just a normal comprehensive)
Reply 10
Original post by Surf
Well it isn't so bad when you look at it objectively. Resit unit 1 bio to get an A overall, and resit the necessary exams in Psychology.

I don't know what you got for maths - but sometimes it is actually better doing C2 along with C3 and C4; it wouldn't have bothered me too much as long as I maintained a good standard for C2 by doing exam questions each week.

Good luck!

I got an A overall in Maths which I was over the moon with! What do you think about if I drop psychology and possibly getting remark for Biol1 because I honestly thought I'd done really well (and I got 126/140 in Unit 2 which is much harder!)? Would Oxford still be iffy with the Psychology?
Reply 11
Original post by 08jogon
I got an A overall in Maths which I was over the moon with! What do you think about if I drop psychology and possibly getting remark for Biol1 because I honestly thought I'd done really well (and I got 126/140 in Unit 2 which is much harder!)? Would Oxford still be iffy with the Psychology?

I would definitely say to drop psychology; that means that you will have an A in Maths, A in chem and probs an A in bio1 with a resit. The grades you got are not bad because you can move your grade up to an A with one paper.

If I were you I would get a copy of the paper - make sure it is a photocopy and not the original! Then look through it and see you think the marking is fair. If not then remark. But to be brutally honest, you probably had a bad day. I was in a similar situation in my AS year for bio - and it was unit 1! For me it was beneficial to do the unit 1 as I needed AS knowledge for the final exam, so I didn't have to go back and revise.

Then I would apply to Oxford - if they are iffy with the Psychology (which I can't really see, but you never know) then you can always take a gap year and resit. But definitely prioritise the maths, chem and bio - these are tougher A levels and Oxford will value them more. If you don't like the idea of a gap year - resit the psychology, but make sure you don't spend so much time on it that it will force you to spend far less time on the other 3 subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by Surf
I would definitely say to drop psychology; that means that you will have an A in Maths, A in chem and probs an A in bio1 with a resit. The grades you got are not bad because you can move your grade up to an A with one paper.

If I were you I would get a copy of the paper - make sure it is a photocopy and not the original! Then look through it and see you think the marking is fair. If not then remark. But to be brutally honest, you probably had a bad day. I was in a similar situation in my AS year for bio - and it was unit 1! For me it was beneficial to do the unit 1 as I needed AS knowledge for the final exam, so I didn't have to go back and revise.

Then I would apply to Oxford - if they are iffy with the Psychology (which I can't really see, but you never know) then you can always take a gap year and resit. But definitely prioritise the maths, chem and bio - these are tougher A levels and Oxford will value them more. If you don't like the idea of a gap year - resit the psychology, but make sure you don't spend so much time on it that it will force you to spend far less time on the other 3 subjects.

Thank you so much for this! Going to request the script for my unit 2 psychology and unit 1 biology and follow your advice from there
Same happened to me!
And my whole class.

Same with us on AQA A! I got A grades in both modules by the absolute skin of my teeth - 82 UMS unit 1, 80 UMS 2. I had completely smashed my mock exam (100%) and my teacher was expecting me to get 100 UMS in both papers. I thought the exams had gone really well and was expecting high A grades. Luckily, I always planned to drop Psych and so I'm not doing it next year. Class results were pretty dreadful though, most people dropped about a grade, if not more.

I think it's a combination of AQA marking things much more harshly this year and a genuine muck-up with the application of the mark scheme to the Psychology papers.
Reply 14
Original post by perflous
Same with us on AQA A! I got A grades in both modules by the absolute skin of my teeth - 82 UMS unit 1, 80 UMS 2. I had completely smashed my mock exam (100%) and my teacher was expecting me to get 100 UMS in both papers. I thought the exams had gone really well and was expecting high A grades. Luckily, I always planned to drop Psych and so I'm not doing it next year. Class results were pretty dreadful though, most people dropped about a grade, if not more.

I think it's a combination of AQA marking things much more harshly this year and a genuine muck-up with the application of the mark scheme to the Psychology papers.

Well done getting an A on both exams!
May I ask what textbook did you use?
Was it the textbook with the cat on it? Or the Nelson Thornes one?
Surely the sixth form you attend would pay for it?
I'm getting 4 exams remarked and I don't have to pay. (and my school is just a normal comprehensive)

I got a college(I can pm you the name and link of it) but it's really not that good. I highly doubt they'd pay for it. I don't even know how to contact them to even ask as I think they are closed. I will try and ask them but I have to pay out of my own money :frown:. 42 pound each...
Well done getting an A on both exams!
May I ask what textbook did you use?
Was it the textbook with the cat on it? Or the Nelson Thornes one?

Thank you :smile:

We didn't use either - we used the Cardwell/Clark one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-AS-AQA-Mike-Cardwell/dp/0007255039/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408129212&sr=1-12&keywords=aqa+psychology+a+as
Reply 17

That actually looks like a good textbook.
The one we had which has a cat on the front was awful and overly complex, everyone hated it.
Im tempted to buy that one because I need an A haha
That actually looks like a good textbook.
The one we had which has a cat on the front was awful and overly complex, everyone hated it.
Im tempted to buy that one because I need an A haha

It's excellent, yeah. Everything that's mentioned in the book is something you'll need to know - if it's not in the book, you don't need to know it. There's an A2 version as well if you need that, but that has extra modules and things so some of it won't be relevant to the content that you're studying. I'd really advise getting it though.
Reply 19
Original post by perflous
It's excellent, yeah. Everything that's mentioned in the book is something you'll need to know - if it's not in the book, you don't need to know it. There's an A2 version as well if you need that, but that has extra modules and things so some of it won't be relevant to the content that you're studying. I'd really advise getting it though.

Thank you ! :smile:
I'll have to purchase them.
And History and Geography textbooks as well haha

Quick Reply

Latest