The Student Room Group

I grew up with blind parents, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Do you feel annoyed if people pity you?

Yes! I generally try and correct them and assure them that my upbringing was pretty normal, the worst time was when a checkout woman teared up at how 'helpful' I was being (putting the shopping into bags?!). It was awful.
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
Yes! I generally try and correct them and assure them that my upbringing was pretty normal, the worst time was when a checkout woman teared up at how 'helpful' I was being (putting the shopping into bags?!). It was awful.

Yeah I guess it is pretty annoying.

Were your parents quite strict in terms of upbringing?
Yeah I guess it is pretty annoying.

Were your parents quite strict in terms of upbringing?

Nope, I think they were more liberal than most parents. I was given a lot of freedom to do what I wanted when I was younger, we didn't have a TV so I'd generally be reading or outside or off riding my bike somewhere but they knew I was sensible so it didn't bother them.
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
Nope, I think they were more liberal than most parents. I was given a lot of freedom to do what I wanted when I was younger, we didn't have a TV so I'd generally be reading or outside or off riding my bike somewhere but they knew I was sensible so it didn't bother them.

Do you have any siblings and do you argue with your mum?

Sorry for the last qs..
Do you have any siblings and do you argue with your mum?

Sorry for the last qs..

Haha its fine, I wouldn't do the AMA if the questions bothered me.

I have one younger sister. I don't really have arguments with my mum, she has a go if I leave all the mugs in my room and stuff but nothing more than that.
This one is quite interesting!

Bad and good things about having blind parents?
You say your gran lived close but wasn't like a full time carer. How would that work? Practically, things like cooking, cleaning, taking you to school, doing laundry...all sorts would have been extremely difficult if they were blind. Did you end up caring for your parents as you got old enough to or doing most of the chores at least?

Not to sound patronising, I've never met a fully blind person and just imagine everything would be really difficult
Do you like football?By the way,I feel sorry for you!

Quick Reply

Latest