The Student Room Group

Oxford vs London?

Considering all factors being on par, my final dilemma in determining whether I should put Oxford as my first choice or a university in London , I would appreciate any feedback here on the cost of living expenses and tuition fees. As an overseas student, I am not entitled to any grants or bursaries so I am totally dependent on my parents' savings so if i could ease their burden in any way, I would gladly do so.
Which would be a better choice? And would renting after 1st year in Oxford be cheaper than living at the college for all 3 years? As opposed to being in a London college?
Thank you.
Original post by Mysterylover
Considering all factors being on par, my final dilemma in determining whether I should put Oxford as my first choice or a university in London , I would appreciate any feedback here on the cost of living expenses and tuition fees. As an overseas student, I am not entitled to any grants or bursaries so I am totally dependent on my parents' savings so if i could ease their burden in any way, I would gladly do so.
Which would be a better choice? And would renting after 1st year in Oxford be cheaper than living at the college for all 3 years? As opposed to being in a London college?
Thank you.

Isn't it a bit early in the year to be worrying about what uni to firm?
Reply 2
No, my school insists that I put down on the UCAS form the unis that I really want ( at least for my first 2-3 choices) and later decide once I get the offers. So I thought it's probably a toss between Oxford and a London Uni for my first choice and, perhaps other unis for my alternatives. I was told that the competition to get in between Oxford and the top London Uni eg Imperial, UCL and LSE are on par. Would anyone beg to differ?
If at the end of the day, the choice of one uni is going to be more expensive than the other, I would opt for the cheaper one.
Reply 3
No, my school insists that I put down on the UCAS form the unis that I really want ( at least for my first 2-3 choices) and later decide once I get the offers. So I thought it's probably a toss between Oxford and a London Uni for my first choice and, perhaps other unis for my alternatives. I was told that the competition to get in between Oxford and the top London Uni eg Imperial, UCL and LSE are on par. Would anyone beg to differ?
If at the end of the day, the choice of one uni is going to be more expensive than the other, I would opt for the cheaper one.

Don't pick a uni based only on price, also how can you be stuck between a whole cities set of universities and a single university?

Pick which uni's are best for your course and any other factors that are important to you and then put them on ucas alongside a backup or 2. There's no point setting your heart on a single uni until you get offers.

Some unis offer scholarships to international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no way of indicating on the Ucas form which university you prefer, so this is a non-issue. Put them both down. If you are in the lucky position of having to choose later on, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending