The Student Room Group

is Overly Long Hair On Girls A Turn Off?

I have really long dark brown hair about this length:

http://cloud3.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/serena-vanderwoodsen-wavy-hair.jpg

It's in good condition (shiny etc.) and doesn't need a trim, but I was wondering if hair that's longer than usual is seen as a bit unattractive/unkempt as hairdressers often recommend cutting it past a certain length. I do keep it as tidy as I can, but it's thick so usually looks a bit like the above.

Gals and guys (18-25 only): thoughts? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks good to me. :dontknow:
I'd say that's more standard long hair than really long hair, and I like long hair. I'd say grazing the top of the boobs is perfect for me, and that's about there.
If that's too long I'm screwed...

Mine hovers about two inches above my bum :tongue:.

OP, I think hair that long is gorgeous especially if in good condition :h:.
Honestly I'm currently dating a girl where her hair goes down to her boobs/shoulder blades and I think it's attractive. Personally I prefer my hair to be at the shoulders or below. The middle of the back/ alone is my lower limit. All guys are different though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My hair is down to my butt, I like it and don't really care what others think :indiff:
Reply 6
I think longer is better. Like stomach length is nice. Arse length is good too.
I think it's a good length

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have quite long hair, it's past my boobs now. It used to be down to my waist before and I used to get some attention and comments for it. When I cut it really short I got less attention, so from that I'm assuming people generally are attracted to long hair. In saying that, I don't know why. It gets caught by the wind a lot easier and it's really annoying in bed (sex or sleep), in that it's constantly in someone's face, or trapped under an arm, or in someone's mouth...
I thought the picture was of you, but anyway. The hair on that girl in the picture is not what I would consider overly long. However, to answer your question, it just depends.

If it's healthy and shiny and clean, what's not to love? The only exception I can think of is if it doesn't really go with your skin tone or eyes. For example, if you dye it a weird color, but even that some girls can pull off.

I actually think long hair is cute and seductive. And curly long hair is to die for. But it's a pain to maintain so I understand why girls with long hair would try to keep it to a minimum.
That's not overly long at all OP. Personally, I really like long hair but I've never bothered to grow mine out as I don't think it'd suit me.

Original post by Precious Illusions
My hair is down to my butt, I like it and don't really care what others think :indiff:

You look like you have beautifully thick and lustrous hair :daydreaming: and good eyebrows too. I'm jealous. My hair looks like ****. No fair.
Original post by iammeyouareyou

You look like you have beautifully thick and lustrous hair :daydreaming: and good eyebrows too. I'm jealous. My hair looks like ****. No fair.

Awh :blush: Thank you! (though my eyebrows look awful 3 weeks after having them shaped :laugh:) I'm sure your hair doesn't look like **** at all :no:
Awh :blush: Thank you! (though my eyebrows look awful 3 weeks after having them shaped :laugh:) I'm sure your hair doesn't look like **** at all :no:

I hate the way it looks when it's down, it's like a milder version of exorcist hair. At least I have the option of tying it up, which apparently suits me.
Reply 13
I prefer shoulder length hair but lots and lots of guys are into the long haired look.
My ladyfriend has hair that reaches her butt. I like it a lot except when she runs out of shampoo and decides to help herself to mine and I suddenly find 80% of the bottle empty.

I take it to be reaching your butt, but it is at the end of your butt. Am I correct?
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I hate the way it looks when it's down, it's like a milder version of exorcist hair. At least I have the option of tying it up, which apparently suits me.

What kind of hair do you have? Is it wavy-ish? You're lucky you look good with it tied up, that doesn't suit me at all :nooo:

Original post by inachigeek21
I take it to be reaching your butt, but it is at the end of your butt. Am I correct?

Nah it's just above my butt :smile:
Reply 17
No.

I don't really look at hair on women. If it's kept in good condition then sure why not.
What kind of hair do you have? Is it wavy-ish? You're lucky you look good with it tied up, that doesn't suit me at all :nooo:

Well when I was a kid it used to be silky straight and thick. But from the age of about 14-20 I used to straighten it a lot and for a large part of that period I didn't use heat protection spray. I know it was stupid but I just never thought anything of it. It has resulted in my hair thinning to half the thickness it used to be and it's also gotten kind of frizzy from the front. I haven't used any heat appliance on my hair for about 1 year and a half now but I feel so much regret :frown:. I hope it grows back one day and gets thicker again.

So there is my hair history...
Reply 19
Long hair is incredible :biggrin: I love it!

Even right down to the back of the knees, although around that length you'll probably start to get neck pains from the sheer weight of hair pulling your head back.
So my opinion is that you'll probably start to get neck pains long before I consider the length of hair unattractive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending