The Student Room Group

Driving Incident - PLEASE HELP

I was driving along this morning on a 30 mile an hour limit road and doing about 25 as a roundabout was coming up soon. I was switching channel on my radio as the roundabout looked clear and suddenly the car 2 in front of me stopped for no reason and I hit the car in front of me. We both got out and looked at the damage and I was pretty shacked up. His car was 100% fine so he was happy to just leave it and he didn't take my number plate or anything. I thought my car was OK so I just continued driving to college. I am now at home and realize that there is a small crack in the front of my car which is barely noticeable (only upon close inspection) and that my number plate covering is noticeably cracked.
I received the telematics box for my insurance yesterday and am yet to plug it in, I will do do tonight. My insurance only started about a week ago. My parents are not home tonight and I don't want them to know what happened.
Can I just go to Halfords and buy a new number plate without them asking any questions? If anyone has any suggestions please share as I am freaking out. The car still works fine and if I get the number plate replaced then I don't think anyone will notice until I sell the car (in about 10 months) and go to uni. Also I will be at uni for 4 years and will have no need to drive during that time, does this mean if I did go through my insurance company in 4 years when I want insurance again, the price would not be impacted by this incident.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Please someone help, I am seriously worried
Hi, simply buy a new plate. As long as your car is safe and will not lead to another crash. If they ask, tell them that it's none of their business. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Joseph.S
Hi, simply buy a new plate. As long as your car is safe and will not lead to another crash. If they ask, tell them that it's none of their business. Good luck.

It is 100% safe and the damage is barely noticeable.
I think I might be pushing my luck telling my parents it is none of their business given the fact they bought me a car and are paying a large amount of the insurance.

I think I will just go and get a new number plate, I can't see any way anyone could find out once i have a new one.
Original post by fnjfsgnsjrfg
It is 100% safe and the damage is barely noticeable.
I think I might be pushing my luck telling my parents it is none of their business given the fact they bought me a car and are paying a large amount of the insurance.

I think I will just go and get a new number plate, I can't see any way anyone could find out once i have a new one.

Hi, I meant if the plate shop ask. :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Joseph.S
Hi, I meant if the plate shop ask. :tongue:

Oh, I completely misread that. You make a very good point, I just wasn't sure if they had any legal obligation in inform the police of damaged car stuff. I know quite a few jobs have that sort of thing like how teachers and councilors have to report any crimes or serious stuff, I am probably completely overreacting to all this, I just don't want to risk anything.
Original post by fnjfsgnsjrfg
Oh, I completely misread that. You make a very good point, I just wasn't sure if they had any legal obligation in inform the police of damaged car stuff. I know quite a few jobs have that sort of thing like how teachers and councilors have to report any crimes or serious stuff, I am probably completely overreacting to all this, I just don't want to risk anything.

You can buy plates on eBay that you just stick on your car.

But I would get someone to check it over. It may not look like anything but you never know it could be something bad!

Bit awkward that your parents bought it for you and you've already crashed it though...
take it to a local garage, ask them to give it the once over.

get a new plate

concentrate next time

insurance will not be affected
Plates are a tenner from halfords. You'll need the car's V5 doucument annnnd, somthing else too, ID I think. Yep, so driving liscence. They won't ask any qestions, it's none of their business anyway.

I'd tell your parents though, it will probably take the weight off your mind and make you feel a bit better about it as you seem quite tensed up about it.

Also chill out, you're not going to go to jail, ok? :smile:

Nobody is perfect, but try not to mess with the radio and take a roundabout at the same time. It's asking for trouble :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending