The Student Room Group

Ready for MAT??

I was just wondering how people feel about the MAT exam on Wednesday (maths for Oxford/Imperial)? I've done pretty much every question and I do fairly well on papers but the 2013 paper was horrible (Average was 44.8 and average for applicants shortlisted was 54.2 out of 100...). If anyone has any tips on how to prepare that would also be great!! I find that going through the harder questions (mostly q4 and 5) again helped, as well as remembering some subtle things which might catch you out such as (x-a)^2 is the same as (a-x)^2 which has been used in one or two of the multiple choice questions with x^4=(x-a)^2 just to be really really misleading especially when your panicking or in a rush!!
Also good luck for everyone else taking it!!! :biggrin:
I plan to take lot of time on the first question, then try one or two questions more to have at least 55 points
Reply 2
Original post by Mansmisterio
I plan to take lot of time on the first question, then try one or two questions more to have at least 55 points

I never though about that!! Well the first question is 40 marks and if you go by 1.5 minutes a mark the first question should take an hour which i usually find as being a good amount of time on it. I might miss out the last parts of q's 2-5 as they can take a lot of time compared to their marks and are really frustrating sometimes...
Yeah, also it's not so hard to have 40, just have to be lucky :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Mansmisterio
Yeah, also it's not so hard to have 40, just have to be lucky :wink:

Yeah, well the first parts of q1 are so easy anyway!! Just I hope the rest of the paper goes well and if not at least i can do a bit of guessing for the later parts of q1 is needed :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending