The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yo radical one
Yeah, I have general advice for you

Stop sending random messages to girls telling them to "have a good weekend", it's not a conversation starter, what are they meant to say in response to that? :confused:

What about have a good weekend too or hey how are you? My friends send me that ll the time. I don't just ignore them.

Okay what should I send to engage her in convo?

And what do you think about the birthday thing? s in someone else who has FB told me her birthday must be on this date (he was looking at her hot friend at work). He isn't friends with her though.

Should I act on this information and wish her? Would the girl think it was weird/stalkerish that I somehow know her birthday?

Original post by Carpe Vinum
People are just **** at replying.

I guess.
[QUOTE="one;52036081" yo="yo" radical="radical"]Yeah, I have general advice for you

Stop sending random messages to girls telling them to "have a good weekend", it's not a conversation starter, what are they meant to say in response to that? :confused:

Oh yeah and this. Tbh sounds pretty cringe.
Reply 42
Original post by Blazar
I think you should wish her a happy New Year as normal and happy birthday on her birthday. If anything, she'll be happy that you thought of her enough to send her those messages, especially on her birthday. She won't be shocked that you found out about her birthday - if anything, she'll assume that someone else told you and I'm sure she'll be very grateful for the message.

Thanks. Okay, so just go for it?

I was going to do Happy new yr, but how would I explain knowing her birthday? I didn't wish her last time because I didn't know. If I do it this year, and I am about 75% sure it is on the 5th, would she not ask me?

I don't know her close friends.. that's the trouble. So what would she think if I just messaged her "Happy Birthday XYZ!" on the day?

Any advice?
Reply 43
Original post by So Instinct
Oh yeah and this. Tbh sounds pretty cringe.

What do you send instead? A lot of my female friends send me that stuff, I always reply and think it's fine
Reply 44
"A little birdy told me" would imply that someone told you. If she asks who say it was a secret or something alike, again you're over thinking horribly. Sometimes you should throw caution to the wind and just go with the flow, stop being so hung up on her- it makes for smoother and more enjoyable interaction then talking to someone who's trying to think of the perfect thing to say in the perfect scenario.

Again though, she may just be a slow responder, it's quite common but I find even those people reply fairly promptly to the people they really want to talk to.

I get that it is fun, but how was I meant to know... thing is imagine if you met a girl twice in real life. Then you get her number. You stay in touch, then 18 months later, you wish her happy birthday saying someone told you it was her birthday. Wouldn't she pursue how you knew?

I just don't want to kill it/ have her delete my number bro!

What do you think? Just do it? Any way to phrase it?

Would she feel elated to receive it? Or wonder how I know this? Considering I don't know her friends..
Reply 45
Original post by pshah2
Thanks. Okay, so just go for it?

I was going to do Happy new yr, but how would I explain knowing her birthday? I didn't wish her last time because I didn't know. If I do it this year, and I am about 75% sure it is on the 5th, would she not ask me?

I don't know her close friends.. that's the trouble. So what would she think if I just messaged her "Happy Birthday XYZ!" on the day?

Any advice?

I don't think she would be too worried about you knowing her birthday. If she does ask how you found out, just be honest. It's not as if you've been stalking her or anything.
Original post by pshah2
Some just ignore a have a good weekend message and then respond to the next one I send about a month later. What's with that?

Wtf are we supposed to reply to "have a good weekend"? It's not a conversation starter, its boring. Convo will unfold like this:
-Have a good weekend.
-Thanks, you too.
-Thanks.

Not much of a convo is it?

I know some will say "call a girl", etc,

Shut up.

but if you're not trying to ask them out then and there, or they live abroad or far away, how do you play this great conversation game?

It's easy to come off great when you text. Make good use of the emojis that there are on offer to liven up the conversation.

Spoiler

There is a girl who I got in touch with after she came and said hi to me in person. I moved for work reasons, but managed to ask her for her number. Subsequently, she responded to nearly all texts over the last year (about a month apart). But thing is we had great rapport in person, it was harder in text.
I was getting nervous so have reduced the frequency.

That's because you only talk once a month... the fact that they're a month apart is a bit creepy too. Do you wait to text her?

She didn't reply to the last one, and I am worried about sending xmas and new years. On top of that, I think one of my mates said her birthday was around new years. I didn't know that last year. How do I naturally find this out from her to be able to wish her?

Dood, chill. Don't stress over the little things.

If girls don't initiate, is that a sign they don't even want to be friends? It seems that some girls even talk to not so nice guys. One of my friends seemed to get on with her in conversation despite the fact he is not a gentleman at all. However, he seemed to have struck out, when they didn't speak at all after a month.

Girls don't initiate for a variety of reasons. Perhaps she just doesn't want to talk to you? That can happen.

If a girl ignores you, or you see she has been on whatsapp, what to do?

If a girl ignores you, she isn't interested. Don't do anything.

Should a girl have to initiate to display she wants to be friends with you?

No one has to do anything. If a girl wants to talk to you she might. If she fancies you she might not as she might not want to come across as desperate. Then again, saying that, it depends on the type of girl. Some girls might make the first move. Others won't. If she doesn't initiate it could also mean she doesn't want to talk to you. However, if it is just a friends thing, both of you should be initiating.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pshah2
I get that it is fun, but how was I meant to know... thing is imagine if you met a girl twice in real life. Then you get her number. You stay in touch, then 18 months later, you wish her happy birthday saying someone told you it was her birthday. Wouldn't she pursue how you knew?

I just don't want to kill it/ have her delete my number bro!

What do you think? Just do it? Any way to phrase it?

Okay, what do you think about the birthday thing? As in someone else who has FB told me her birthday must be on this date (he was looking at her hot friend at work). He isn't friends with her though.

Should I act on this information and wish her? Would the girl think it was weird/stalkerish that I somehow know her birthday?

Not gonna lie I haven't even fully read the scenario, I probs should. But err yeah probs not the best idea that it be literally the first thing you say.

I'd just start with a hey/yo, been a long time what's up or something similar. Try instigate a meet up/hangout.
Slide the birthday thing in after talking to her for a while.
Reply 48
Original post by Blazar
I don't think she would be too worried about you knowing her birthday. If she does ask how you found out, just be honest. It's not as if you've been stalking her or anything.

Okay so is it okay to text her happy birthday on the day? Thing is, I did not get this information from her. A friend was looking through girls at work and said, oh yeah who was that one who spoke to you (she is well known as one of the hottest girls on the class who people are scared to talk to). Then he saw her birthday on facebook.

That's why I'm worried, I didn't wish her last year as I didn't know. If I wish her now, imagine you were her, would you feel happy or wonder how I knew?

Your advice sir?
Reply 49
Not gonna lie I haven't even fully read the scenario, I probs should. But err yeah probs not the best idea that it be literally the first thing you say.

I'd just start with a hey/yo, been a long time what's up or something similar. Try instigate a meet up/hangout.
Slide the birthday thing in after talking to her for a while.

Lol, yeah I put the full thing in the OP to avoid repetition, but appreciate your advice anyhow!

In that case, since I did not know her birthday until I found out from a friend who was looking up girls on facebook, should I not wish her?

Or should I wish her and risk it?

Or should I risk the coincidental Hi how are you? on the birthday and hope against hope that she responds?

Pls advise, I am no expert!
Original post by pshah2
Lol, yeah I put the full thing in the OP to avoid repetition, but appreciate your advice anyhow!

In that case, since I did not know her birthday until I found out from a friend who was looking up girls on facebook, should I not wish her?

Or should I wish her and risk it?

Or should I risk the coincidental Hi how are you? on the birthday and hope against hope that she responds?

Pls advise, I am no expert!

Why not just message her now..
Girls like playing hard to get
Reply 52
Original post by pshah2
What about have a good weekend too or hey how are you? My friends send me that ll the time. I don't just ignore them.

Okay what should I send to engage her in convo?

And what do you think about the birthday thing? s in someone else who has FB told me her birthday must be on this date (he was looking at her hot friend at work). He isn't friends with her though.

She's not your friend and you don't want her friendship, let's be honest with ourselves

Even then, I don't wish my friends good weekends generally...

So even your friends are weird stalkers too? Christ almighty, this is not looking good man.

It's all contextual, I mean in general if you have met a girl a few times, you could just say "tonight I am doing x, you are free to join me if you want" judging from the stupid **** that you have said to her already and the fact your friends are stalkers too, I would think about picking up a Thai Bride catalog pretty soon...
Original post by xLittleMissyx

That would go some way to explaining your 'About Me' :rofl:
That would go some way to explaining your 'About Me' :rofl:

haha i suppose :P
Reply 56
Why not just message her now..

I did send her a message on friday, no response yet. But I think she is on holiday. The last seen looks like it is always at early hours.

Okay, what do you advise on my OP? Specifically the birthday situation?

You can just imagine it can't you

OP has six restraining orders on him and the girl has locked herself in the basement, terrified, clutching a kitchen knife as she awaits the police

"It's fine guys, she's just playing hard to get"
Reply 58
She's not your friend and you don't want her friendship, let's be honest with ourselves

Even then, I don't wish my friends good weekends generally...

So even your friends are weird stalkers too? Christ almighty, this is not looking good man.

Look, friend was looking, I asked do you know this girl? That's all. I don't have FB, I don't know how this girl is doing except for when she texts me.

Just asking would you wish her happy birthday or not? Would you say hi how are you or not?

I understand my actions might be poor, but at least suggest solutions? What do you suggest instead of weekend texts then?

And what do you suggest about the new years/birthday conundrum?

What would she like, would she like to receive a birthday wish or wonder how I knew?
Reply 59

"It's fine guys, she's just playing hard to get"

At least offer advice and solutions bro, without proclaiming that you know better than the rest. Share your almighty wisdom then.

haha i suppose :P

Advice? A girl's perspective would be appreciated. No weekend texts then?

Latest

Trending

Trending