The Student Room Group

Both my parents make well over £200k, yet there is NEVER food in the house.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Modern Casanova
I worry so much about doing that ... I don't want to split the family up :frown:

You won`t "split the family up". Social workers take children away from their parents only in the most extreme situations. Their main role is to work WITH the parents to help them with their parenting skills.
Original post by markova21
You won`t "split the family up". Social workers take children away from their parents only in the most extreme situations. Their main role is to work WITH the parents to help them with their parenting skills.

But think about how my parents will react when these social workers get involved! They'll call me a family breaker or whatever.
Are there any family members you could to to ask them to have a chat with your parents?
Food should be one of the priorities for parents to provide to their kids :confused:
Reply 23
Are you a twin? Both you and your brother are 17? If there are two 17 year olds and a 16 year old you should confront your parents as a group. Your 8 year old sister should be kept out of this but you older ones need to look out for her if nobody else will.

How long has this been going on for? Maybe your parents aren't as well off as they're letting you think and are trying to keep up appearances in other ways, find private school fees (if applicable) and so on.
Reply 24
They would see beyond the "I'm taking your money to get the food you didn't bother to get us" and call me a "thief" and possibly kick me out the house. I promise you, I know my parents - especially my dad who used to be an alcoholic.

Call the police. What answer did you want from this thread?
I remember an eerily similar thread to this some months ago (maybe even a year, can't remember). Either copying another thread or this situation is sadly more common than I thought.
Original post by Folion
Are you a twin? Both you and your brother are 17? If there are two 17 year olds and a 16 year old you should confront your parents as a group. Your 8 year old sister should be kept out of this but you older ones need to look out for her if nobody else will.

How long has this been going on for? Maybe your parents aren't as well off as they're letting you think and are trying to keep up appearances in other ways, find private school fees (if applicable) and so on.

Why would it matter if I'm a twin or not?

I've been confronting my parents about it for as long as I can remember.

They're LOADED ... they have thousands to spend on food, and they know it.

Food should be a PRIORITY.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I remember an eerily similar thread to this some months ago (maybe even a year, can't remember). Either copying another thread or this situation is sadly more common than I thought.

I haven't copied anything ... I wouldn't make troll threads about my 8 year old sister not getting enough food.
Original post by KJane
Call the police. What answer did you want from this thread?

What do you think?
Confront them as a group. All of you together.
i swear this thread has been done before
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

yep my thought as well
Original post by silverbolt
i swear this thread has been done before

Well spotted .... by me.
Well spotted .... by me.

so....what do your parents eat?
Original post by silverbolt
so....what do your parents eat?

God knows ... My mum barely ever eats really, and if she does, they're minuscule portions.

I think the last proper meal I had was on Christmas day, but we had guests around ...
Reply 35
What do you think?

I don't know, because from reading your other replies it looks like you don't want to do anything.
Reply 36
Why would it matter if I'm a twin or not?

I've been confronting my parents about it for as long as I can remember.

They're LOADED ... they have thousands to spend on food, and they know it.

Food should be a PRIORITY.

Yes food should be a priority, what I was trying to establish was had this situation recently arisen as in had their income suddenly dropped and they were not wanting to admit it. Maybe they are living in some sort of denial.

What DO they spend their money on (that is evident anyway)? Unless you've seen their bank accounts you won't know if they're actually loaded or not you only have their say so.

By establishing you sibling group ages it helps a bit in what to suggest you do. I know people can't use food banks unless they are referred to one but maybe if you approach food banks and ask who you need to contact to give you a referral this might help
Original post by KJane
I don't know, because from reading your other replies it looks like you don't want to do anything.

It's not like I don't want to do anything about it ... it's because I CANT. I know very well how my parents will react if I A)Steal money from them B) get social workers involved.

I can't afford to leave the house because A)My siblings will still have the same issues B)I have no money.
Original post by Folion
Yes food should be a priority, what I was trying to establish was had this situation recently arisen as in had their income suddenly dropped and they were not wanting to admit it. Maybe they are living in some sort of denial.

What DO they spend their money on (that is evident anyway)? Unless you've seen their bank accounts you won't know if they're actually loaded or not you only have their say so.

By establishing you sibling group ages it helps a bit in what to suggest you do. I know people can't use food banks unless they are referred to one but maybe if you approach food banks and ask who you need to contact to give you a referral this might help

My mum was promoted 3 months ago.

My dad has a weekly income of £3000 from renting these two studios at the back of our house.

There clearly isn't a drop of income - hell another poster talked about how her mum was getting 12k yet she still had food to eat.

My dad spends the grand majority of his money on buying materials, since he's a architect.

My mum DOESN'T spend money, unless it's to top up the petrol in her car. She spends jack **** - she's tight when it comes to spending, everyone knows it.

If we were going through financial ****, I would know of it.
Original post by Gott
Steal from them. If they complain say 'you want some' or 'you've got no flans' or 'first your starving us, then your going to move to Austria, then your going to build a dungeon, then...nooooooooooooooo'

Well at least laughter is putting me off food thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending