The Student Room Group

Test on Monday. I really need this answered

Scroll to see replies

rd.jpg

Extended lane markings.
Original post by ToastyCoke
Yes, that lane splits if you joined the roundabout BEFORE the junction the op is joining. Read my post again.

Look at the red lane. That is the lane the OP would be in. The red lane splits over the two lanes. You really need to look at the roundabout again.

I really dont, just because the red markings are directing you in to the inside lane that splits, doesn't give you priority over the traffic in the inside lane already, you are changing lanes, you are merging in to traffic in the inside lane, who may wish to move in to the split area of THEIR lane.

You need to give way to them and / or signal your intention to use their lane.

also the inside lane can use the split area, its their lane that splits, and both lanes on approach are signposted to bedworth
Original post by kernow24
I really dont, just because the red markings are directing you in to the inside lane that splits, doesn't give you priority over the traffic in the inside lane already, you are changing lanes, you are merging in to traffic in the inside lane, who may wish to move in to the split area of THEIR lane.

You need to give way to them and / or signal your intention to use their lane.

also the inside lane can use the split area, its their lane that splits, and both lanes on approach are signposted to bedworth

You really should stay away from multi-lane roundabouts. You are utterly clueless. There is no traffic on the inside lane. The traffic on the lane on your right CAN ONLY STAY IN THEIR LANE, THEY CANNOT GO INTO THE MIDDLE ONE. In order to go into the middle one from the right lane, they would need to be on the roundabout BEFORE the junction you came on at, in which case, they'd be past you before you CAME ONTO THE ROUNDABOUT. You are NOT merging at all. IT IS YOUR LANE.

Most roundabouts of this nature would use smaller, broken white lines rather than the red solid markings. If you can imagine that in your head and then see where you're going wrong, I fear for some drivers, I really do.

Jesus, how did you pass your test?
(edited 9 years ago)
You really should stay away from multi-lane roundabouts. You are utterly clueless. There is no traffic on the inside lane. The traffic on the lane on your right CAN ONLY STAY IN THEIR LANE, THEY CANNOT GO INTO THE MIDDLE ONE. In order to go into the middle one from the right lane, they would need to be on the roundabout BEFORE the junction you came on at, in which case, they'd be past you before you CAME ONTO THE ROUNDABOUT. You are NOT merging at all. IT IS YOUR LANE.

Jesus, how did you pass your test?

whatever you say, the road marking say differently, you cant argue with a picture.
whatever you say, the road marking say differently, you cant argue with a picture.

They're not at all, you just have no idea how to read them.

Here's an identical style of roundabout, which I drive twice every day. whit.jpg

The center lane, which splits into two lanes where the truck is, shown by 2 red lines, would be the red solid lane in the OP's roundabout.
another photo looking backwared towards that road.

can you point out where the middle lane is splitting? No? I thought not, the inside lane splits, if you're following the red markings, you have to cross over the continuous white lines, ergo its a lane change.
another photo looking backwared towards that road.

can you point out where the middle lane is splitting? No? I thought not, the inside lane splits, if you're following the red markings, you have to cross over the continuous white lines, ergo its a lane change.

The inside lane splits FOR THE CARS THAT CAME ON BEFORE THE OP'S JUNCTION. The lane splits when the ****ing red goes over both lanes. The sign shows to take the right or middle lane. You cannot change lane when on a roundabout, that's instant fail on a test and will cause a crash. So why would the sign tell you to do it? Clueless mate, clueless.

****ing danger on the road you are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cannot make it any clearer than this.

idiot.jpg

I have even put in the DOTS for you.

Black = middle lane from OP's junction. Notice how the red lane spills over the two lanes? Yeah, that's a lane split. You can take either. The right hand lane from the same junction CANNOT go into the middle lane.

Yellow = a car on the inside lane FROM BEFORE the OP's junction. IGNORE THE RED LANE FOR THIS PERSON. The red lane ONLY comes from the OP's junction. NOW the inside lane splits in two and the inside lane can choose either.

Red = A car on the inside FROM THE OP'S JUNCTION. They cannot go into the split lane because of the RED LANE coming from the junction they entered at is ONLY for the middle lane.
The inside lane splits FOR THE CARS THAT CAME ON BEFORE THE OP'S JUNCTION. The lane splits when the ****ing red goes over both lanes. The sign shows to take the right or middle lane. You cannot change lane when on a roundabout, that's instant fail on a test and will cause a crash. So why would the sign tell you to do it? Clueless mate, clueless.

****ing danger on the road you are.

use caps all you like, the middle lane is continuous, the red markings dont give you priority over those in the inside lane, following the red markings you will be moving in to the inside lane, not signalling on the test if there is somebody coming around the roundabout in the inside lane will be a fail. you are entering in to THEIR lane, how bloody hard is that to grasp?

Just because the red markings give direction to move over lanes, doesn't give you the implied right to do so, its a suggestion that you can move over to go to a certain place, when its safe to do so.

the red markings aren't a lane in their own right
use caps all you like, the middle lane is continuous, the red markings dont give you priority over those in the inside lane, following the red markings you will be moving in to the inside lane, not signalling on the test if there is somebody coming around the roundabout in the inside lane will be a fail. you are entering in to THEIR lane, how bloody hard is that to grasp?

Just because the red markings give direction to move over lanes, doesn't give you the implied right to do so, its a suggestion that you can move over to go to a certain place, when its safe to do so.

You cannot enter the ****ing roundabout if there's someone on your right. That is the ONLY way somebody could POSSIBLY end up in the middle lane after the first junction being on the inside lane. If they're on the right lane at the same junction, THEY CAN ONLY STAY ON THE INSIDE LANE.

Urgh, you're utterly clueless. Absolutely clueless. The red marking is showing the lane boundaries. It's not a "**** knows, just try and move and see what happens" marking. The red marking absolutely gives the middle lane priority. The right lane CANNOT enter the middle lane, that would be illegal lane cutting. The red markings ARE A LANE IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. That's the ****ing point of them! Just look at the damn exits and spend 30 seconds actually trying to understand the roundabout and you'll see you're utterly incorrect.

I'm thinking you're just trolling or you're a terrible driver or a learner. But DO NOT give advice to somebody that's about to sit their test when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's selfish and unnecessary.
(edited 9 years ago)

You are wrong. You are not reading the lanes properly.
You cannot enter the ****ing roundabout if there's someone on your right. That is the ONLY way somebody could POSSIBLE end up in the middle lane after the first junction being on the inside lane.

Urgh, you're utterly clueless. Absolutely clueless. The red marking is showing the lane boundaries. It's not a "**** knows, just try and move and see what happens" marking. The red marking absolutely gives the middle lane priority. The right lane CANNOT enter the middle lane, that would be illegal lane cutting. Just look at the damn exits and spend 30 seconds actually trying to understand the roundabout and you'll see you're utterly incorrect.

I'm thinking you're just trolling or you're a terrible driver or a learner. But DO NOT give advice to somebody that's about to sit their test when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's selfish and unnecessary.

ok then, so on test the op follows your advice and blindly follows the red markings in to the inside lane that splits, no indications, no need to check around, because according to you they have priority.

a car comes up from their right, that has come around the roundabout a bit quickly and the op hadn't noticed, this car wishes to use their lane that split to go to bedworth.

the op move lanes, in to this lane without signalling or looking, forcing the car to slow, but its all ok as the red markings give priority over those already coming around the roundabout. don't talk cr@p.

are you seriously suggesting that those joining at this lane have priority over those coming around the roundabout?

are you suggesting that no indication is needed when you're lined up to take the middle lane, as that's where the red markings lead, before giving changing direction to cross over the white lines in to another lane?
ok then, so on test the op follows your advice and blindly follows the red markings in to the inside lane that splits, no indications, no need to check around, because according to you they have priority.

a car comes up from their right, that has come around the roundabout a bit quickly and the op hadn't noticed, this car wishes to use their lane that split to go to bedworth.

the op move lanes, in to this lane without signalling or looking, forcing the car to slow, but its all ok as the red markings give priority over those already coming around the roundabout. don't talk cr@p.

are you seriously suggesting that those joining at this lane have priority over those coming around the roundabout?

are you suggesting that no indication is needed when you're lined up to take the middle lane, as that's where the red markings lead, before giving changing direction to cross over the white lines in to another lane?

Now you're just clutching at straws. You cannot enter the roundabout if there's anything on your right.

Just admit it, you mis-read the lane markings. I'm done now, no indication is needed and will result in most likely a major. Another person told you you were wrong. Put the ego to rest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Now you're just clutching at straws. You cannot enter the roundabout if there's anything on your right.

Just admit it, you mis-read the lane markings. I'm done now, no indication is needed and will result in most likely a major. Another person told you you were wrong. Put the ego to rest.

you're completely missing the point.

that split area goes in 2 directions, you can moan and whine about if it is or isnt changing lanes etc etc until the cows come home, no indications means the natural assumption is that you'll be going straight on, following the road towards the industrial estate, not changing direction and lanes.

changing direction like that without signalling to do so on test, will end up in a fail. its really that simple.

im not clutching at straws at all, its a perfectly reasonable scenario that happens daily.

but yup, im stupid and don't know what im doing, I wish the op luck if they get that on their route and change direction without signalling to do so, especially on what is presumably a busy roundabout.
(edited 9 years ago)

that split area goes in 2 directions, you can moan and whine about if it is or isnt changing lanes etc etc until the cows come home, no indications means the natural assumption is that you'll be going straight on, following the road towards the industrial estate, not changing direction and lanes.

changing direction like that without signalling to do so on test, will end up in a fail. its really that simple.

im not clutching at straws at all, its a perfectly reasonable scenario that happens daily.

but yup, im stupid and don't know what im doing, I wish the op luck if they get that on their route and change direction without signalling to do so, especially on what is presumably a busy roundabout.

Oh bore off. You're wrong and blocked now.

OP do not follow this persons advice. If you indicate, a car on your right will think you're trying to enter their lane.

The middle lane goes into 2 lanes. Nobody else can be in either of these lanes and so you don't need to indicate. You are not changing direction or changing lane. You're staying in your own middle lane, but making the choice of which sub-lane you want to go into.

And if there's anything on your right then you can't go on the roundabout so your little scenario makes no sense. And they say that girls are bad drivers haha, you must be a super-woman then :s-smilie:
Oh bore off. You're wrong and blocked now.

OP do not follow this persons advice. If you indicate, a car on your right will think you're trying to enter their lane.

but according to you, no car could possible be on their right :confused:

Please don't contradict yourself, after trying to belittle me with my albeit far fetched scenario.

But im sure the op will thank you when they fail their test over something so blindly obvious.
but according to you, no car could possible be on their right :confused:

Please don't contradict yourself, after trying to belittle me with my albeit far fetched scenario.

But im sure the op will thank you when they fail their test over something so blindly obvious.

LOL. You're talking about a car already on the roundabout coming around at speed or some non-sense.

A car on your right - AS IN THE SAME JUNCTION YOU ENTERED FROM (you're in the middle lane, they're in the right) can only stay in their lane. They cannot enter the red. That is lane cutting.

A car that's already on the roundabout; as in the scenario you listed, cannot exist. As you cannot enter the roundabout if there's anything on your right.

God. Read what broken key said. You're wrong mate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending