The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Juno
But the reason you're so annoyed and stressed is because you're insisting on doing something that isn't possible. You are not applying as an individual.

You originally chose to apply as an individual, but then completed the request to apply through your college. You are therefore applying through your college. I have no idea if this is what you meant to do, but this is what you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it? But in the photo it shows the reference part. When I was applying on my own I also had it but as soon as I got added to my old school's system the reference part was no longer there and then I could send my application off. Surely if he was applying through his school he wouldn't be able to see the reference thing? Just guessing here really.
Reply 21
Original post by Atunu
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure either your school or UCAS will try and sort this out. And yeah your school would be in charge of changing that, you give them your ucas id and they add you to their system. Make sure to speak to them tomorrow.

Yeah, im sure this will be avoided somehow but its just frustrating as hell and basically means im the one who has to do all the running around when its not my problem, its either something wrong on UCAS's end or my colleges end. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Juno
But the reason you're so annoyed and stressed is because you're insisting on doing something that isn't possible. You are not applying as an individual.

You originally chose to apply as an individual, but then completed the request to apply through your college. You are therefore applying through your college. I have no idea if this is what you meant to do, but this is what you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea, its all confusing to me and im just going to have to speak to someone from UCAS tomorrow morning. I have no clue whether its my fault or UCAS's fault, my tutors fault or the colleges fault. Whatever it is im being told several different things on here so ill just have to speak with someone who knows what the issue is. Thanks for the replies though! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Atunu
Is it? But in the photo it shows the reference part. When I was applying on my own I also had it but as soon as I got added to my old school's system the reference part was no longer there and then I could send my application off. Surely if he was applying through his school he wouldn't be able to see the reference thing? Just guessing here really.

Yeah i applied for uni last year but ended up dropping out after a few months since the course wasn't for me. I did the application whilst i was still in college so i remember there not being a reference section since the college did it for me.
Original post by Joeey
I have no idea, its all confusing to me and im just going to have to speak to someone from UCAS tomorrow morning. I have no clue whether its my fault or UCAS's fault, my tutors fault or the colleges fault. Whatever it is im being told several different things on here so ill just have to speak with someone who knows what the issue is. Thanks for the replies though! :smile:

Of all the advice you are being given, Juno's will be right.
Reply 25
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Of all the advice you are being given, Juno's will be right.

How though? I dont really understand what hes trying to get across? Is it something ive done wrongly whilst signing up and filling in my application? I dont need telling what ive done wrong, i need telling on how to fix this.
Original post by Joeey
How though? I dont really understand what hes trying to get across? Is it something ive done wrongly whilst signing up and filling in my application? I dont need telling what ive done wrong, i need telling on how to fix this.

She's worked in admissions. You seem to have signed up as an individual and then used the system designed for those applying through a college, so that your form is a mix of the two systems. Are you using the college buzzword? Go and see/talk to your referee tomorrow and get them to help you sort it out.

Edit: I see from your OP that you are using the school buzzword, which means you are applying through them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
She's worked in admissions. You seem to have signed up as an individual and then used the system designed for those applying through a college, so that your form is a mix of the two systems. Are you using the college buzzword? Go and see/talk to your referee tomorrow and get them to help you sort it out.

Ok, well then how have UCAS allowed me to do that if its incorrect? Surely it shouldn't have been possible or atleast given me guidance on how to apply alone? Yes ive entered the buzzword from the college and it just says that the college is still making a decision on the reference. I am just presuming that this is why i cannot pay/send. My college tutor seems to be insisting that this isnt the case.
Original post by Joeey
Ok, well then how have UCAS allowed me to do that if its incorrect? Surely it shouldn't have been possible or atleast given me guidance on how to apply alone? Yes ive entered the buzzword from the college and it just says that the college is still making a decision on the reference. I am just presuming that this is why i cannot pay/send. My college tutor seems to be insisting that this isnt the case.

How would Ucas know you are applying as an individual if you are using a college buzzword? The problem seems to be at the college, so you will have to go and speak to them in person (and I suggest speaking to someone higher up than your tutor. It is a senior postholder who will have the power to send this, such as the head of sixth form) or at the very least speak to them on the phone.
Reply 29
Original post by Joeey

There's no point in dwelling about it now, don't stress out just yet, there's still a little time for you to do this, so far it looks like you are having a meltdown, just relax a bit.
Reply 30
How would Ucas know you are applying as an individual if you are using a college buzzword? The problem seems to be at the college, so you will have to go and speak to them in person (and I suggest speaking to someone higher up than your tutor. It is a senior postholder who will have the power to send this, such as the head of sixth form) or at the very least speak to them on the phone.

Im not really following what your saying. If i signed up as an individual then surely the system should be designed in a way that i cannot apply through a college. If i was applying alone then, how should i have gone about this? There doesn't seem to be enough information whilst doing the UCAS application that tells me how i should go about doing my reference if i was able to do this. Yes i presumed it was the college. Im no expert on this, im only 18. I dont know the ins and outs of the procedure so give me a break. Im just looking for a solution
Original post by Joeey
Im not really following what your saying. If i signed up as an individual then surely the system should be designed in a way that i cannot apply through a college. If i was applying alone then, how should i have gone about this? There doesn't seem to be enough information whilst doing the UCAS application that tells me how i should go about doing my reference if i was able to do this. Yes i presumed it was the college. Im no expert on this, im only 18. I dont know the ins and outs of the procedure so give me a break. Im just looking for a solution
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/filling-your-application/references-payment-and-sending
Reply 32
Original post by Atunu
There's no point in dwelling about it now, don't stress out just yet, there's still a little time for you to do this, so far it looks like you are having a meltdown, just relax a bit.

I know theres still over a day left but why is this happening? I would have thought that my college would know how to deal with this type of situation already. Im not having a breakdown, im just annoyed at how stupidly this has been done. If it does happen to go over the deadline, then its not my fault. Its ridiculous how unorganised it is when dealing with someones future.
Reply 33

The video's second option says "If your applying INDEPENDANTLY, then you can request a reference from a previous school". Thats what ive done? So i am applying independantly then. It goes on to say "contact a previous tutor and ask for a reference and the colleges buzzword" Which is what ive done. Im at the stage where im waiting for the college to make a decision on my reference since it hasn't been ticked yet. This is obviously the reason why i cannot pay/send, and for some reason my tutor is insisting that i can pay/send. Thanks for the replies!
Okay here is how it goes when applying as an individual then changing it to school/college. Did it a couple of years ago.

You fill out your application (As you have done)
You pop in the buzz word in the options bit (As you have done)
The school/college accepts the application (They need to do this and it seems they haven't yet)
When they do this on your view the reference bit will vanish
You click pay and send
This then gets sent to your school/college
They attach the reference make sure its all up to scratch then send it off.

Get in touch with your college FE adviser or whomever deals with the FE applications.
Original post by Joeey
Snip

Read my other post. This is what you need to do.
Original post by Joeey
The video's second option says "If your applying INDEPENDANTLY, then you can request a reference from a previous school". Thats what ive done? So i am applying independantly then. It goes on to say "contact a previous tutor and ask for a reference and the colleges buzzword" Which is what ive done. Im at the stage where im waiting for the college to make a decision on my reference since it hasn't been ticked yet. This is obviously the reason why i cannot pay/send, and for some reason my tutor is insisting that i can pay/send. Thanks for the replies!

Your tutor isnt in charge of that. Get in touch with whomever deals with the applications normally.
Reply 37
Original post by Atunu

You're correct - because what the message is saying is that he hasn't been fully added to school's system. As soon as that happens the reference bit will disappear. The school has to accept him, because otherwise someone could request a reference from a random school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Juno
You're correct - because what the message is saying is that he hasn't been fully added to school's system. As soon as that happens the reference bit will disappear. The school has to accept him, because otherwise someone could request a reference from a random school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! Makes sense, thank you :smile:
Hi, I've gone through the same procedure as you have. From what I can remember (from last week) you click on the reference section and it asks you to input the details of who you reference is going to be. Make sure you double check all the details. At the bottom, there should be a save button. Once you click save, a link will be sent to your referee who then had temporary access to your ucas- something like that- and then can fill in the reference. You cannot click pay/send because the reference section has not been completed. All sections have to be completed before you click pay/send. Once you click that, your application will be processed by UCAS and then sent to your choices. Hope that helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending