The Student Room Group

My friend is a compulsive liar...what do I do?

Right, I'm in need of a little rant so here we go;
Me and my friend (Shannon) have been really good friends for about 5 years now, but for the last couple of years she's been saying stuff that's got me thinking whether she's telling the truth or not. For example, she has a boyfriend who is Jewish, German & Albino (exactly like an anime character we both know of) and she keeps making up things like this, and it's getting to the point where I'm really disliking her for lying to me. She's also talked about how her father supposedly beats her if she gets a bad grade, so should I call childline or something? I've confronted her, and she's told me I'm a really bad friend for doubting everything she's said.

Also, she always hates it if I spend my free time with my other friends and not her. Like today, I went with my friend Cami to Cafe Nero, I told her where I was going, and I just got the most evil death glare. It happens as well when I don't feel like going swimming with her. I'm starting to feel like such an awful friend. Am I just over reacting or should I be concerned?

(Note; I've seen my head of year, she says just to stop seeing eachother..it's not working so yeah)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

I had a friend like this. Had.
Reply 2
Original post by Adipoptosis
I had a friend like this. Had.

Haha, bodes well for me
Reply 3
Is the anime character Prussia?
Reply 4
Original post by SaiDuc
Is the anime character Prussia?

How did you guess? :biggrin:

All her friends are modelled off Hetalia characters...
Reply 5
Original post by Kokomi-Chan
How did you guess? :biggrin:

All her friends are modelled off Hetalia characters...

Lol, the cast of Hetalia as your friends doesn't seem too bad!
Although, on a serious note, you should either ask your friend about why she does that or just stop seeing her. I can't think of anything else to do in this situation! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SaiDuc
Lol, the cast of Hetalia as your friends doesn't seem too bad!
Although, on a serious note, you should either ask your friend about why she does that or just stop seeing her. I can't think of anything else to do in this situation! :smile:

How important is this friend to you? Do you see the friendship to continue in the future?
Reply 8
Original post by Splenge007
How important is this friend to you? Do you see the friendship to continue in the future?

She is one of the few and best friends I have, but I'm not sure if we do have a future together..
Lying in itself isn't necessarily a reason to stop being friends. People have all kinds of reasons for creating a fantasy world.

However, the controlling / possessiveness is more of an issue. She's obviously quite insecure, and needs you (which is why it will be hard to split with her). Is there any way you can talk to her maturely about the fact she's being too intense? I know that's harder to do than just starting to ignore her, and she may well react badly, but in the long run it will help her to know why she puts people off.
Don't be her friend, she's clearly not with it, I mean she's obviously controlling and she doesn't want you to be with anyone except her.

My advise to you is if you think she's a waste of time just stop talking to her and be with your other 'normal' friends. I personally had a friend like that and trust me I made a good decision by not being her friend and moved on, people like that are not worth ****. Excuse my language but that's the best way I could say it☺. I hope I helped
Original post by Octohedral
Lying in itself isn't necessarily a reason to stop being friends. People have all kinds of reasons for creating a fantasy world.

However, the controlling / possessiveness is more of an issue. She's obviously quite insecure, and needs you (which is why it will be hard to split with her). Is there any way you can talk to her maturely about the fact she's being too intense? I know that's harder to do than just starting to ignore her, and she may well react badly, but in the long run it will help her to know why she puts people off.

That's the trouble, the past few times I've spoken to her about it, she's just gone crazy, shouted at me and told me I'm a horrible friend, and then she kinda just walks away
She is one of the few and best friends I have, but I'm not sure if we do have a future together..

In the friendliest way possible, try and confront her. Ask her if everything is okay and remind her you're honest and open with her, and you wish her to do the same.

Talking from experience, I've found people tend to lie compulsively if they feel inadequate and detest that inadequacy. For example someone I knew said her dad's a millionaire, when she come from a very poor family.
Reply 13
My brother is a compulsive liar. Sadly, I can't get rid of him.
Original post by azhar-1998
Don't be her friend, she's clearly not with it, I mean she's obviously controlling and she doesn't want you to be with anyone except her.

My advise to you is if you think she's a waste of time just stop talking to her and be with your other 'normal' friends. I personally had a friend like that and trust me I made a good decision by not being her friend and moved on, people like that are not worth ****. Excuse my language but that's the best way I could say it☺. I hope I helped

Thank you, I understand wha you mean and I appreciate the advice :-)
Original post by Splenge007
In the friendliest way possible, try and confront her. Ask her if everything is okay and remind her you're honest and open with her, and you wish her to do the same.

Talking from experience, I've found people tend to lie compulsively if they feel inadequate and detest that inadequacy. For example someone I knew said her dad's a millionaire, when she come from a very poor family.

I've tried confronting her, but sadly it always ends up with her telling me I'm a horrible person. And I could probably list about 100 things she's lied to me about... :-(
I had a friend like this too. You may eventually grow apart if she carries on like this, as it will get to a point where you won't beable to take it anymore. Have you ever asked her about why she keeps lying? Otherwise ditch her.
I've tried confronting her, but sadly it always ends up with her telling me I'm a horrible person. And I could probably list about 100 things she's lied to me about... :-(

Pretend to believe in her lies. Don't make an effort to believe in it though like asking further questions about it as if you're interested.

Eventually, either you drift apart or she changes her ways.
Original post by Suzanne123
I had a friend like this too. You may eventually grow apart if she carries on like this, as it will get to a point where you won't beable to take it anymore. Have you ever asked her about why she keeps lying? Otherwise ditch her.

Well, every time I ask her, she tells me she isn't lying and walks away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending