The Student Room Group

So i want to go to uni .... in Exeter or Bristol

so, i am currently sitting year 12 (AS) ... for the second time.
over the past 3 years i went through school not really putting much work into what i do; i thought what i was doing was working hard but compared with this year its not where near. i have a really good work ethic but due to a mixture of insanely intelligent friends and school bullies i have very little confidence and aimed low. i have received some negative feedback about my ambitions and i don't feel i have been accurately represented. i was wondering if my past results and the fact that i am resitting could act against me?:confused:

At GSCE-
i have and A and B in science (the B only due to a family death before the exam) and an A in maths. i also have 3 or 4 other B grades (one in Geography), 3/4 C grades, a distinction and a pass.

At As-level- i never failed a subject until last year and it did not come as a shock that i failed something but not to the magnitude that i had. this happened due to a poor choice in subjects and a lack of work.
i took physics, chemistry, biology and maths (mistake 1), but i dropped physics after christmas (mistake 2)
my results were:
Chemistry - U & U (expected)
Biology- U & U (not expected)
Maths- B, B, D (C overall, i did not expect this to be so high)

this year-
i took geography, re-took biology and am continuing to A2 maths. i have completely worked my ass off and am now predicted As in both Maths and Geography (based on my current progress) and a B in biology which i hope to push to an A.

other stuff-
i have a vast amount of volunteer work and undertaken extra work experience to demonstrate my work ethic and knowledge; including school council/form representative, acting as prefect on a few science and adventure trips, assisting in science club and tutoring maths (to mention a few)
i also hold extra curricular qualifications; such as 2 life guarding qualifications.

would i have a chance or is it not worth it?
Yes you would have a chance, but it depends on how you do in your AS exams this year. If you get AAB then you will be a decent candidate depending on the subject you choose.
Original post by Mollyfairclough
so, i am currently sitting year 12 (AS) ... for the second time.
over the past 3 years i went through school not really putting much work into what i do; i thought what i was doing was working hard but compared with this year its not where near. i have a really good work ethic but due to a mixture of insanely intelligent friends and school bullies i have very little confidence and aimed low. i have received some negative feedback about my ambitions and i don't feel i have been accurately represented. i was wondering if my past results and the fact that i am resitting could act against me?:confused:

At GSCE-
i have and A and B in science (the B only due to a family death before the exam) and an A in maths. i also have 3 or 4 other B grades (one in Geography), 3/4 C grades, a distinction and a pass.

At As-level- i never failed a subject until last year and it did not come as a shock that i failed something but not to the magnitude that i had. this happened due to a poor choice in subjects and a lack of work.
i took physics, chemistry, biology and maths (mistake 1), but i dropped physics after christmas (mistake 2)
my results were:
Chemistry - U & U (expected)
Biology- U & U (not expected)
Maths- B, B, D (C overall, i did not expect this to be so high)

this year-
i took geography, re-took biology and am continuing to A2 maths. i have completely worked my ass off and am now predicted As in both Maths and Geography (based on my current progress) and a B in biology which i hope to push to an A.

other stuff-
i have a vast amount of volunteer work and undertaken extra work experience to demonstrate my work ethic and knowledge; including school council/form representative, acting as prefect on a few science and adventure trips, assisting in science club and tutoring maths (to mention a few)
i also hold extra curricular qualifications; such as 2 life guarding qualifications.

would i have a chance or is it not worth it?

this is extremely difficult to answer. for example maths you would normally be expected to get A*AA at a level for both for biology you would need AAB. however both unis make contextual offers. if your school is in the bottom 40% or you have spent time in care the maths offer is reduced to AAB and the biology offer is also reduced. basically you need to check the prospectuses for each uni for the subject that interests you and then check whether your school or individual circumstances would give you the contextual offer. it might also be worth looking into Cardiff as well as their offers are often AAB for most subjects
Wait, so you currently do an A2 and 2 AS'? So next year you'll do 2 A2's?

You need to sit 3 A2s in the same sitting or you won't be given an offer. If you managed that by fast tracking and achieved the grades they want then you'd have a chance at an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
Wait, so you currently do an A2 and 2 AS'? So next year you'll do 2 A2's?

You need to sit 3 A2s in the same sitting or you won't be given an offer. If you managed that by fast tracking and achieved the grades they want then you'd have a chance at an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt very much that it completely rules out an offer, though it might well decrease the chances.
Original post by ageshallnot
I doubt very much that it completely rules out an offer, though it might well decrease the chances.

It does. I've emailed universities before including Bristol with the same question on behalf of a friend and they both said that you must sit 3 A2s together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subject at Uni?

Here are the admissions statements and these will give you ideas about what Bristol looks for in PSs : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/admissions-statements/

When you apply, its worth filling in an Extenuating Circumstances form and sending it direct to the Uni :http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applicants/extenuating-circumstances/
Original post by Exceptional

You need to sit 3 A2s in the same sitting or you won't be given an offer

This IS NOT TRUE for all subjects!

Check on the website for 'your' subject or phone the Uni to check
Original post by sydneybridge
This IS NOT TRUE for all subjects!

Check on the website for 'your' subject or phone the Uni to check

For some universities is it a general admissions policy across the whole university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midgemeister7
For some universities is it a general admissions policy across the whole university.

Oxbridge possibly.

Certainly not all subjects at Bristol - and many other RG Unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending