The Student Room Group

Top 5 Psychology Universities ?

I am an international applicant so I didn't had the chance to visit Unis in the UK.
My application is almost ready to be sent but I am struggling with choosing the best Unis to study the undergraduate of psychology
I know UCL is pretty good. I am also thinking about KCL and Edinburgh.
Then I am struggling between Manchester, York, Durham, St Andrews and Bristol?
Anyone have any opinion on these or even others?
Original post by jesfeio
I am an international applicant so I didn't had the chance to visit Unis in the UK.
My application is almost ready to be sent but I am struggling with choosing the best Unis to study the undergraduate of psychology

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=psychology
Reply 2

I have checked these rankings and also QS rankings but they differ a lot..
I wanted to know if anyone had visited any of those unis or knew someone studying there and had any info about which ones would be better..
It is so hard to find info like that
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jesfeio
I have checked these rankings and also QS rankings but they differ a lot..
I wanted to know if anyone had visited any of those unis or knew someone studying there and had any info about which ones would be better..
It is so hard to find info like that

Realistically, they are all rather similar universities for quality. The older ones (durham/SA) may appear more prestigious, but i don't think they have higher rated teaching or research quality than the others! I think St Andrews/Edinbourgh is a four year course, however (doing a three year Bsc + Msc is money better spent). I don't think anyone on TSR has good enough experience of these unis to be able to compare teaching quality, however! I only know that if your interested in evolutionary psychology / animal behaviour st andrews is world leading (in terms of that they have a large number of people doing research in that area).
Original post by iammichealjackson
Realistically, they are all rather similar universities for quality. The older ones (durham/SA) may appear more prestigious, but i don't think they have higher rated teaching or research quality than the others! I think St Andrews/Edinbourgh is a four year course, however (doing a three year Bsc + Msc is money better spent). I don't think anyone on TSR has good enough experience of these unis to be able to compare teaching quality, however! I only know that if your interested in evolutionary psychology / animal behaviour st andrews is world leading (in terms of that they have a large number of people doing research in that area).

Good advice re the 4yr courses in Scotland, especially when those universities charge very high fees for internationals too.
Manchester is terrible > do not recommend
Original post by JamesManc
Manchester is terrible > do not recommend
Could you explain why?
Original post by kathykathykathy
Could you explain why?

because they rejected someone as perfect as me :cool:
Original post by jesfeio

I am also an international student, and have chosen York as my firm choice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jesfeio

I'm an international student (Canada) in my third year at Bristol. I would say your top choices should be either Bristol or St A, but that as others say depends on whether you want to do a four-year scottish MA or grab a three-year BSc. I wouldn't go to Manchester, I know a girl at Bristol who did her undergrad degree in psych there and said the course was relatively boring! York is on par with Bristol but Bristol is a much better city imo. Durham is fine, it has the reputation but the city is very small. Likewise with StA for the small city.

If you're not just concerned with academics I think Bristol is the best of your choices - good degree, good uni and great city.

Quick Reply

Latest