The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madagascar
I've decided I will firm Marjon, although I'm going to wait until beginning of May just to make sure I'm still on track with grades :wink:. Might see you there!

AH exciting! Was your other choice DMU? Yes it is very possible you shall :smile:
Original post by JordanC55
Yeah it'll happen in a couple of months... I found out a week or so ago, biggest surprise of my life :,)

When was your interview? How did you find it.

My interview was a week ago. I sent you a message btw! I was nervous but I found everyone to be so lovely.
Original post by izzydizzyyy
AH exciting! Was your other choice DMU? Yes it is very possible you shall :smile:

No I haven't applied to DMU. I went to an open day there back in June last year but their course and the uni weren't for me. Enjoy making your decision!
Original post by madagascar
No I haven't applied to DMU. I went to an open day there back in June last year but their course and the uni weren't for me. Enjoy making your decision!

I know it is all just opinion and personal preference HOWEVER care to sway me towards Marjon? What is that makes you prefer Marjon if you don't mind me asking?
I know it is all just opinion and personal preference HOWEVER care to sway me towards Marjon? What is that makes you prefer Marjon if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest, for me Marjon is local so that is in my favour. They are really friendly up there and the small campus is nice, however it depends on what you are looking for really? DMU obviously has more going on outside of the course if your looking for more of a 'uni experience' however Plymouth does have some cool stuff going on too and probably more variety like the beaches and the moor on the doorstep x
Original post by TiramisuGoomba
Thanks! I just sent my transcripts they asked for yesterday. Now it's just the Health Check & DBS.

I wonder how I will get hold of my medical records - they're in Canada...and I don't know which things I've had/not had...

Honestly don't worry about that stuff, it'll all work itself out in the end! Even if it adds a bit of stress along the way.
Original post by jisici
My interview was a week ago. I sent you a message btw! I was nervous but I found everyone to be so lovely.

Yeah I think I replied? Give it a check haha! It's good that you found out so quickly, everyone was proper lovely!

You got Facebook?

No offence, but I genuinely feel like you need to sit down and work it out for yourself otherwise you could make a mistake if you let other people sway you either way.

I could sit here and write a massive post about how I loved DMU, the staff, the swiftness of response and the city! The fact that it's in the Midlands allows you to get to other cities easily and it has good rail links. I could mention that being in a group of 25 means that you're get a lot more support and your lecturers will be able to get to know you personally and you'll know everyone on the course. Not to mention the fact that DMU has better accommodation and a better reputation as a whole.

but.

its not my decision, and they're the reasons why I applied myself and not why you did nor should you try to make yourself think a certain thing. People who applied to Marjon over DMU will disagree with everything I said but it doesn't make me love DMU any less; if you can't choose either of them are you sure you want to go to them? If there's nothing standing out to you then you obviously love neither of them... You need to write the pros and cons for both and see them on paper - it'll help you process it.

worst mistake I made a couple of years ago was allowing my family to convince me to firm Newcastle Uni and reject QUeen's Belfast, so I know what I'm talking about when I say you need to think about it for yourself and only yourself.
Oh, I thought you were firming City! Or am I imagining that haha?

Yeah haha, I got an offer but I don't really wanna go there!
No offence, but I genuinely feel like you need to sit down and work it out for yourself otherwise you could make a mistake if you let other people sway you either way.

I could sit here and write a massive post about how I loved DMU, the staff, the swiftness of response and the city! The fact that it's in the Midlands allows you to get to other cities easily and it has good rail links. I could mention that being in a group of 25 means that you're get a lot more support and your lecturers will be able to get to know you personally and you'll know everyone on the course. Not to mention the fact that DMU has better accommodation and a better reputation as a whole.

but.

its not my decision, and they're the reasons why I applied myself and not why you did nor should you try to make yourself think a certain thing. People who applied to Marjon over DMU will disagree with everything I said but it doesn't make me love DMU any less; if you can't choose either of them are you sure you want to go to them? If there's nothing standing out to you then you obviously love neither of them... You need to write the pros and cons for both and see them on paper - it'll help you process it.

worst mistake I made a couple of years ago was allowing my family to convince me to firm Newcastle Uni and reject QUeen's Belfast, so I know what I'm talking about when I say you need to think about it for yourself and only yourself.

Yeah I totally get where you're coming from, however I really liked both so it's not that I wouldn't like to go to either of them. I wish I could go to both! Since I've known it's the career I want, the specific university doesn't seem much of a big deal. There's loads jumping out at me about both. As I stated I know it's a personal decision - but considering all options is what's gonna help me to make the decision.
Original post by h_lumb1
Yes, I really want to go into halls but I don't know which ones are the best to go into for getting to the buildings for speech therapy stuff

I am not sure where lectures are held but none of the uni accommodation is really too far away - I hear that the City campus has a large overseas student population, Victoria Park is a bit more pretty and not as rowdy, Fallowfield I personally would stay away from although its very popular - it is (I believe) the party capital as it has a large student population and all that goes with it!
Does anybody know which email to use for Leeds Becket, I decided I am going to email them but the email I used ([email protected]) keeps bouncing back :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Does anybody know which email to use for Leeds Becket, I decided I am going to email them but the email I used ([email protected]) keeps bouncing back :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Becket was spelt Beckett so 2 t's. I might be wrong but just have a look :smile:
Original post by nesca89
I thought Becket was spelt Beckett so 2 t's. I might be wrong but just have a look :smile:

I spelt it with 2 ts on the email - just a typo on the post haha!
I'll keep searching the website for an email!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done it! Turns out it was application not applications haha! Silly me!! Fingers crossed for a positive reply!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I spelt it with 2 ts on the email - just a typo on the post haha!
I'll keep searching the website for an email!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right haha ok, hope you manage to figure it out. Are you still waiting to hear from your application or after the interview?
Original post by nesca89
Ahh right haha ok, hope you manage to figure it out. Are you still waiting to hear from your application or after the interview?

From my application! Which I sent in October :frown:
I recon it's a rejection as on the website the last interview date is the 11th March.
If they want to reject me I just wish they'd hurry up about it so I can make my firm choice - Birmingham City have accommodation applications up already and I'm worried I'm gonna miss out! But then equally, I do really want Leeds so if they're going to give me an interview I would like to know as soon as possible too!
Ugh I'm a terrible waiter ha! I have managed nearly 5 months of waiting before emailing them though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nesca89

Hi - I see Leeds started giving offers and rejections yesterday - presume you have not heard yet? How you holding up with the whole miserable process?
Original post by Higlet
From my application! Which I sent in October :frown:
I recon it's a rejection as on the website the last interview date is the 11th March.
If they want to reject me I just wish they'd hurry up about it so I can make my firm choice - Birmingham City have accommodation applications up already and I'm worried I'm gonna miss out! But then equally, I do really want Leeds so if they're going to give me an interview I would like to know as soon as possible too!
Ugh I'm a terrible waiter ha! I have managed nearly 5 months of waiting before emailing them though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely written off MMU then?
Original post by AmyPilot
You definitely written off MMU then?

95% certain! I just prefer the accommodation and city at MMU
But I feel like I should go with the course and Birmingham has more coursework that's what I feel more comfortable with. If MMU had less exams (it looks like they have a few on uni stats!) I would have gone there definitely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest