The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Got my first rejection the other day from Sheffield! And was offered the other speech and language course however as that is not accredited I would rather wait a year, strengthen my application and reapply... I've had interviews at Newcastlse, DMU and BCU and am still waiting for an offer!! Leeds still haven't got back to me but they said they would be 31st March so it's just a waiting game from now! Is anyone else having to wait a long time?
Original post by izzydizzyyy
I recall Marjon specifically using the word "relocate" and talking about contracts with uni accommodation and renting somewhere else to stay at whilst on placement. I assume they were talking about block placements though - so hopefully won't affect first year.

For clarification about placements and 'relocating', Marjon were simply trying to make us aware that their placements do cover a massive area (Cornwall to Wiltshire), and if you are on placement it may not be easily commutable on a daily basis therefore you will need to take everything you need with you for the duration of the placement. You won't be required to rent out a second property or anything like that. Before placements happen you fill out a form and you can say if there is any reason you can't go too far away such as childcare etc, and you can put down if you have family in any of the placement areas that you could stay with. If not, you will need to stay in a hotel, and you may be eligible to claim the costs of it back depending on your bursary.

In the first year you do conversation partner and nursery observations in the local area and then a 2 week clinical block anywhere in the South West, so if it happened to be in Swindon, which is about a 2 and a half hour drive away, you would probably choose to travel up on the Monday morning and stay in a hotel until Friday night when you travel back for the weekend and then do the same for the second week. You could however be lucky enough to be placed at Derriford which is right across the road or in Torbay or Royal Devon & Exeter which are both only about 1 hour away :smile:.

In the second year there is a 2 day per week placement in the second semester, so again you may be placed further away but you would only need to 'relocate' for one night per week between the days of the placement.

3rd year placements are just 1 day per week.

4th year is slightly different though as it is only up until December and you do not attend uni at all during the 4th year. It is 3 days per week block placement plus distance learning. So if your placement isn't in Plymouth you may choose to travel and just stay away whilst on placement and then return for the other 2 days per week and claim costs through the bursary system if you are eligible, however because you don't need to attend uni, some people choose to rent accommodation near their placement instead of in Plymouth for that final half year. As 4th year is such a long way off, it's probably not worth worrying about just yet!!

I hope this helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by opalescent
Some good advice I was given once is to toss a coin...and see if you're disappointed by the result. It worked surprisingly well for me. :tongue:

This is brilliant advice! :smile:
Original post by aderyn96
Got my first rejection the other day from Sheffield! And was offered the other speech and language course however as that is not accredited I would rather wait a year, strengthen my application and reapply... I've had interviews at Newcastlse, DMU and BCU and am still waiting for an offer!! Leeds still haven't got back to me but they said they would be 31st March so it's just a waiting game from now! Is anyone else having to wait a long time?

Sorry to hear about Sheffield and fingers crossed you get good news from the other 3 you have been to interviews for soon. Leeds seem to be keeping people really hanging this year, but hopefully they will come back to you with an interview date soon!

I've had 4 offers so far, and now I'm just hanging around waiting for Leeds to come back after interview... I used to think I was a patient person but all this waiting around is driving me crazy lol!
I Have a confirmed space at Portsmouth. Anyone else applied to portsmouth?
Original post by djmummy
I Have a confirmed space at Portsmouth. Anyone else applied to portsmouth?

Congratulations! It's really exciting :biggrin:

I didn't apply there as it doesn't qualify you to get HCPC registration, so you cannot practice as a SLT, which is what I want to do. What about you? What are your plans once you have your degree?
Original post by madagascar
Congratulations! It's really exciting :biggrin:

I didn't apply there as it doesn't qualify you to get HCPC registration, so you cannot practice as a SLT, which is what I want to do. What about you? What are your plans once you have your degree?

Yea this was the downside for me but I can do the top up to get the status. so an extra 2 years on top. for a total of 4 years.
Oh no! ive just been looking at the top up and its not HCPC approved! on the open day they told me it was!
Original post by djmummy
Yea this was the downside for me but I can do the top up to get the status. so an extra 2 years on top. for a total of 4 years.

Ah right that sounds good!
Original post by djmummy
Oh no! ive just been looking at the top up and its not HCPC approved! on the open day they told me it was!

Have you firmed it on ucas? / got any other offers? If you have, you could try ring up UCAS and say you've made a mistake?
Could you try and apply for a post grad at a different uni after?
Or you could do that course and then reapply for a speech therapy course and you will have a few years of extra experience etc that you can get!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Have you firmed it on ucas? / got any other offers? If you have, you could try ring up UCAS and say you've made a mistake?
Could you try and apply for a post grad at a different uni after?
Or you could do that course and then reapply for a speech therapy course and you will have a few years of extra experience etc that you can get!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I confirmed my place last may/june as i put in for a deferral! yes I can move to reading to do the MSC after my course but will be uprouting my son again, or a lot of travelling. Ahh im so annoyed! Thank you for your comment and making me check again...
For clarification about placements and 'relocating', Marjon were simply trying to make us aware that their placements do cover a massive area (Cornwall to Wiltshire), and if you are on placement it may not be easily commutable on a daily basis therefore you will need to take everything you need with you for the duration of the placement. You won't be required to rent out a second property or anything like that. Before placements happen you fill out a form and you can say if there is any reason you can't go too far away such as childcare etc, and you can put down if you have family in any of the placement areas that you could stay with. If not, you will need to stay in a hotel, and you may be eligible to claim the costs of it back depending on your bursary.

In the first year you do conversation partner and nursery observations in the local area and then a 2 week clinical block anywhere in the South West, so if it happened to be in Swindon, which is about a 2 and a half hour drive away, you would probably choose to travel up on the Monday morning and stay in a hotel until Friday night when you travel back for the weekend and then do the same for the second week. You could however be lucky enough to be placed at Derriford which is right across the road or in Torbay or Royal Devon & Exeter which are both only about 1 hour away :smile:.

In the second year there is a 2 day per week placement in the second semester, so again you may be placed further away but you would only need to 'relocate' for one night per week between the days of the placement.

3rd year placements are just 1 day per week.

4th year is slightly different though as it is only up until December and you do not attend uni at all during the 4th year. It is 3 days per week block placement plus distance learning. So if your placement isn't in Plymouth you may choose to travel and just stay away whilst on placement and then return for the other 2 days per week and claim costs through the bursary system if you are eligible, however because you don't need to attend uni, some people choose to rent accommodation near their placement instead of in Plymouth for that final half year. As 4th year is such a long way off, it's probably not worth worrying about just yet!!

I hope this helps!

Ah thank you!!!!! This clarified a lot for me :smile: where are you thinking of going?
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Ah thank you!!!!! This clarified a lot for me :smile: where are you thinking of going?

Probably Marjon, so will see you there!
Probably Marjon, so will see you there!

Good choice :wink: how exciting!!!
I've been accepted to Cardiff met so anyone else going, see you there. I'm 29 so a "mature" student and can't quite believe Im back to full time study. Exciting though. Not anxious organising accommodation & childcare but I'm sure it will all come together.
Sorry to hear about Sheffield and fingers crossed you get good news from the other 3 you have been to interviews for soon. Leeds seem to be keeping people really hanging this year, but hopefully they will come back to you with an interview date soon!

I've had 4 offers so far, and now I'm just hanging around waiting for Leeds to come back after interview... I used to think I was a patient person but all this waiting around is driving me crazy lol!

oh wow!! Well done on all your offers, that's amazing!! Haha i know can't wait to hear back from the other uni's!
Original post by aderyn96

The waiting is awful but try to stay positive - they will all reply within the next month I am sure which is nothing compared to how long you have been waiting so far I am sure!

Good luck
Right... I think I've decided that eventually when Leeds finally decide to reject me, that I'm going to take Manchester met as my firm and Birmingham City as my insurance. It seems silly to waste Manchester mets offer and they replied so quick from my interview which I'm guessing means I had something they wanted for their course!
Now I need to start exploiting accommodation... Anyone got any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or even exploring accommodation 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmyPilot
The waiting is awful but try to stay positive - they will all reply within the next month I am sure which is nothing compared to how long you have been waiting so far I am sure!

Good luck

Exactly- hoping it won't be too long now :smile: And thank you! You too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest