The Student Room Group

Ukip dissertation

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the middle of writing a dissertation on UKIP. My working title at the moment is, "How has UKIP cemented its position as a Radical Right Party and what impact is this having on British Politics?"

The current structure of the dissertation is :

Chapter 1 - What defines a radical right party?
Chapter 2 - How can we understand UKIP as a radical right party?
Chapter 3 - What has been the reason for UKIP's recent rise?

Do you feel that this structure is relevant to the question I am asking? I have done a lot of reading for this and my work so far feels like i'm regurgitating a lot of what other academics have said and not personally contributing anything of substance. I know if I want to do well, this will have to change.

My own opinion is that the structure needs adapting. My concern is chapter 1 and 2 are essentially asking the same question and could be combined to form one chapter. If this is the case then I need to add another chapter of which I am not sure what it could be. Any ideas?

Feedback is much welcomed guys! I'm in panic mode at the moment trying to combine my dissertation with other work that I have to do.

Thanks in advance.
You could get an entire dissertation out of chapter three - it's definitely the meatiest of the three, but there's no reason why the chapters can't differ in length.

Have you read Revolt on the Right by Rob Ford and Matthew Goodwin? It's a very good book about UKIP, and one of the authors is a former lecturer of mine. In fact, have a look at quite a lot of Rob Ford's stuff - and note that there are a lot of parallels between UKIP and the BNP (indeed, it can be argued that when the BNP collapsed, the more political elements went to UKIP, and the more violent elements went to the EDL. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/research/rob.ford/publications

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
You could get an entire dissertation out of chapter three - it's definitely the meatiest of the three, but there's no reason why the chapters can't differ in length.

Have you read Revolt on the Right by Rob Ford and Matthew Goodwin? It's a very good book about UKIP, and one of the authors is a former lecturer of mine. In fact, have a look at quite a lot of Rob Ford's stuff - and note that there are a lot of parallels between UKIP and the BNP (indeed, it can be argued that when the BNP collapsed, the more political elements went to UKIP, and the more violent elements went to the EDL. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/research/rob.ford/publications

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goodwin was one of my lecturers. There was something of a running joke amongst the undergraduates about how his teaching duties played second fiddle to his media work. That said the thesis of 'Revolt on the Right' is an interesting one. This idea that UKIPs voting base are basically the victims of globalisation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 304820
Goodwin was one of my lecturers. There was something of a running joke amongst the undergraduates about how his teaching duties played second fiddle to his media work. That said the thesis of 'Revolt on the Right' is an interesting one. This idea that UKIPs voting base are basically the victims of globalisation.

I think there's a similar running joke about Rob Ford - he seems to be in the news every other day. He gets more attention than the resident Nobel prize winners! I suspect it's a fairly shrewd move though - getting his uni mentioned in the press constantly is hardly going to harm his career. He is lovely though - very approachable and good at teaching.

I've actually got a copy of Revolt on the Right sat on my bookshelf. In a fit of geekery I pre ordered it! It is very interesting though, and should probably be read in conjunction with their paper Angry White Men (about the BNP).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending