The Student Room Group

a question on creatine and BCAA

I have been training for 2 months. I heard from someone that i should start taking creatine in another 6 months or so as i will be gaining musckle the fastest now, "newbie gains". What do you think?

Also, my main prioirity for now is BCAA. 1. Do i need them and how beneficial would they be to my diet and workouts. When do i take them and how many times? And does anyone know if the xtend watermelon flavour is any good?

Peace
BCAA's are useless if you already have sufficient protein intake. If you have have inadequate protein simply have more protein. The newb gains are from you being a noob and aren't dependent on taking creatine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
BCAA's are useless if you already have sufficient protein intake. If have have inadequate protein simply have more protein. The newb gains are from you being a noob and aren't dependent on taking creatine.

I heard they work differently as a protein because they are separate or something and work a lot better because of the different type of amino acid ratio being worked well together. Please let me know if i am talking out of my rectum
Original post by alan smith
I heard they work differently as a protein because they are separate or something and work a lot better because of the different type of amino acid ratio being worked well together. Please let me know if i am talking out of my rectum

The studies that show they are beneficial are usually comparing a group with bcaa's and a good amount of protein vs a group without bcaa's and a poor amount of protein instead of a group with a good amount of protein and no bcaa's.

There are a fair amount of studies that look into leucine, isoleucine and valine (the BCAAs) which show that they have no benefit either in all levels of training experience. I could link them if you want.

BCAA's cost considerably more than whey for the amount of protein that you get so you would expect them to give you considerably better results but from what I've seen they don't give any better results at all. Save your money m8.
Reply 4
what do you think about casein protein?

I forgot to ask that in the OP. I have whey protein and mass gainer but people recommend that i should take casein protein as well before i go bed.
Reply 5
Original post by alan smith
I have been training for 2 months. I heard from someone that i should start taking creatine in another 6 months or so as i will be gaining musckle the fastest now, "newbie gains". What do you think?

Also, my main prioirity for now is BCAA. 1. Do i need them and how beneficial would they be to my diet and workouts. When do i take them and how many times? And does anyone know if the xtend watermelon flavour is any good?

Peace

You don't need either. Creatine is beneficial to some, but not all. The side effects can outweigh the benefits.

BCAAs are useless unless you're training fasted, which I'm assuming you're not. They're good if you're following IF and need something before you hit the gym that won't break the fast, but otherwise you don't need them.

PM me if you want any training or nutrition advice.
Original post by .JC.
You don't need either. Creatine is beneficial to some, but not all. The side effects can outweigh the benefits.

BCAAs are useless unless you're training fasted, which I'm assuming you're not. They're good if you're following IF and need something before you hit the gym that won't break the fast, but otherwise you don't need them.

Pretty solid advice here

The cramps if you're not "burning it" off enough are not pleasant. And being dehydrated with it (you need to up the amount you drink with it) leads to stomach cramps. Not too fun
BCAA is pointless pretty much.

Creatine Monohydrate is known to help in the strength department and general sports but it's not a magic muscle builder it simply allows you to lift 'slightly' more
Original post by Angry cucumber
Pretty solid advice here

The cramps if you're not "burning it" off enough are not pleasant. And being dehydrated with it (you need to up the amount you drink with it) leads to stomach cramps. Not too fun

Hangovers when supplementing creatine are the worst. The effects of the dehydration get amplified, had a "light" night out a couple of weeks back and woke up feeling like I'd drunk double the amount I actually had.

BCAAs aren't really worth it unless you're a) vegan/veggie or b) on a low protein diet/cutting.

BCAA is hell to take anyway unless you get tablets, trying to drink the powder in water is genuinely like sucking on a chalk bag, but more unpleasant tasting. (The powder is fairly "hydrophobic")
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest