The Student Room Group

missed uni exams due to very bad viral infection, now I'm scared about the outcome

Ok so basically I'm studying pharmacy at kings and a few days before my exam I started feeling very ill and got a very bad cold, so I emailed my head of department for some advice and I told her that it was just a cold. Then she said ' If your revision is affected and you feel ill prepared for the exams then the department advice would have to be not to sit. '. I was going to just sit the exams but after she said the part in bold I thought that since she had more experience with all this she probably knows what she's talking about. So I decided not to sit my exams this may (all 4).

But then, I looked at the exam absence form and it said they do no accept a cold as a mitigating circumstance. But it's too late as I already missed my exams. I wrote on the form that my revision was affected due to my illness. But I'm so scared right now.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME??!

If I end up getting kicked out I'm gonna hate my head of department so much for giving me such rubbish advice

If I get kicked out I don't know what I'll do with my life I might as well just kill myself, pharmacy at kings was my dream :'(

EDIT: it's not just a cold, I shouldn't have described it like that. A cold is a very minor viral infection, my doctor told me I had a very bad viral infection as I felt dizzy, had abdominal pains, and very high fever, on top of the usual headache, sore throat and muscle pain and fatigue. I literally felt like I had no energy at all. I tried so hard to carry on pushing myself. I would probably describe the pain I felt to the pain I felt while I had chicken pox when I was 17 (minus the itchy spots). Chicken pox is much worse in adults than in children before anyone comments on that
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

has anyone ever missed an exam due to a cold or heard of it happening?
Reply 2
Did not read

but srsly.. because of a cold? :erm:
Original post by Dinaa
Did not read

but srsly.. because of a cold? :erm:

yeah :frown:
Original post by celina10
Ok so basically I'm studying pharmacy at kings and a few days before my exam I started feeling very ill and got a very bad cold, so I emailed my head of department for some advice and I told her that it was just a cold. Then she said ' If your revision is affected and you feel ill prepared for the exams then the department advice would have to be not to sit. '. I was going to just sit the exams but after she said the part in bold I thought that since she had more experience with all this she probably knows what she's talking about. So I decided not to sit my exams this may (all 4).

But then, I looked at the exam absence form and it said they do no accept a cold as a mitigating circumstance. But it's too late as I already missed my exams. I wrote on the form that my revision was affected due to my illness. But I'm so scared right now.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME??!

Just say you had diarrhoea, it'll be fine.
Original post by Brubeckian
Just say you had diarrhoea, it'll be fine.

I already sent the form with just a cold (i.e. sore throat, headache, muscle pain, stomach ache etc)
I already sent the form with just a cold (i.e. sore throat, headache, muscle pain, stomach ache etc)

Send another one with diarrhoea
Original post by Brubeckian
Send another one with diarrhoea

Did you try that? Wouldn't I need another doctors note to confirm as well?
You missed 4 exams for a cold?! Good job you don't get hay fever!

I'm not at kings, but we have to have a doctors note to miss exams and still have a first attempt. You could try asking a doctor for a note, they can't refuse you s first attempt if a doctor says you were unable to sit the exam/ revise.

The best thing to do would be to talk to your Uni. Perhaps try emailing your tutor and get their advice.

Maybe next time start revising a little earlier so your revision isn't affected by illness near an exam!
Original post by ThatHealthyLife
You missed 4 exams for a cold?! Good job you don't get hay fever!

I'm not at kings, but we have to have a doctors note to miss exams and still have a first attempt. You could try asking a doctor for a note, they can't refuse you s first attempt if a doctor says you were unable to sit the exam/ revise.

The best thing to do would be to talk to your Uni. Perhaps try emailing your tutor and get their advice.

Maybe next time start revising a little earlier so your revision isn't affected by illness near an exam!

Yeah I've got a doctors note, I've been ill for over a week and it's a very bad cold. Are you sure they won't be able to refuse? Yeah but the thing is the way I learn is that when I'm memorising I repeat things over and over again but my throat was aching so much so I couldn't do this and also pharmacy is a very demanding degree to my headache really affected how much I was able to concentrate. And you're right I guess, I would've just sat the exams, I only emailed my head of department for advice on how to study with a cold but she told me not to sit the exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
I feel so miserable right now :frown:(
Reply 11
Would've checked their terms before missing any days. Talk to the relevant people and hope for the best.

The harsh reality is, no-one takes a cold seriously. Some people have it for a couple days and are fine, me personally, takes me 2 weeks because my immune system sucks and I feel like I'm dying.
Original post by vela1
Would've checked their terms before missing any days. Talk to the relevant people and hope for the best.

The harsh reality is, no-one takes a cold seriously. Some people have it for a couple days and are fine, me personally, takes me 2 weeks because my immune system sucks and I feel like I'm dying.

Yeah I trusted my head of department, maybe I shouldn't have :frown: She told me she chairs the notification of examination absence meetings. My colds usually last a week but this time it's going on for almost 2 weeks
Yeah I've got a doctors note, I've been ill for over a week and it's a very bad cold. Are you sure they won't be able to refuse? Yeah but the thing is the way I learn is that when I'm memorising I repeat things over and over again but my throat was aching so much so I couldn't do this and also pharmacy is a very demanding degree to my headache really affected how much I was able to concentrate. And you're right I guess, I would've just sat the exams, I only emailed my head of department for advice on how to study with a cold but she told me not to sit the exams.

If you have a note from a doctor I don't see how they could refuse it. A doctor wouldn't sign a note when they didn't think you had genuine reasons for missing exams and I don't know of any Uni questioning a doctors note. Just make sure the note explicitly says that you couldn't do the exams.

I really don't think anything bad can happen if you have a note. That would mean they were questioning the doctor's judgement.

If you are really concerned though, the best people to talk to are your Uni, since they all work so differently.
Original post by ThatHealthyLife
If you have a note from a doctor I don't see how they could refuse it. A doctor wouldn't sign a note when they didn't think you had genuine reasons for missing exams and I don't know of any Uni questioning a doctors note. Just make sure the note explicitly says that you couldn't do the exams.

I really don't think anything bad can happen if you have a note. That would mean they were questioning the doctor's judgement.

If you are really concerned though, the best people to talk to are your Uni, since they all work so differently.

My head of department (the person who told me to miss my exams due to my cold) told me she chairs the notification of examination absence meeting.
If I get kicked out I don't know what I'll do with my life :frown: I might as well just kill myself, pharmacy at kings was my dream :'(
a COLD

that to the side , you can rely on her email as overruling the guidelines. as someone who had higher authority and was aware of the full extent of your condition (i.e. not very serious) , and she still gave advice , she would be unable to claim that your circumstances did not fit the mitigating circumstances outlined in the guidelines - she implied that they did.

what they will probably do is require you to resit in august.
The thing is your head of department didn't actually tell you not to sit the exams, she said 'if' you weren't well enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LiquidGold
The thing is your head of department didn't actually tell you not to sit the exams, she said 'if' you weren't well enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you have got a point, but she was aware that it was just a cold and she was aware of the the extent to which a cold can affect your ability to study. As she said 'if your illness has affected your revision then the department advice would have to be not to sit' AFTER I told her it was a cold.
(edited 8 years ago)
Say that you were vomiting as well. Is there anyway you can get that added on to your doctros note?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending