The Student Room Group

University 'comms in same city as current residence.

Sorry for the long-winded title.

Basically, has anyone got any experience with applying to university accomodation in the city/town they currently live in? Ideally in London.

Did you manage to get a room? Did you have to look elsewhere? What happened?

Cheers.
Original post by Guills on wheels
Sorry for the long-winded title.

Basically, has anyone got any experience with applying to university accomodation in the city/town they currently live in? Ideally in London.

Did you manage to get a room? Did you have to look elsewhere? What happened?

Cheers.

It depends on the university. London wise I can tell you that UCL and LSE don't care where your family home is, UCL I know only care that you firm them. Queen Mary, Roehampton and Middlesex and you wouldn't be a priority and would most likely have to find alternative accomodation if you wanted to move out. Kings and certainly in the past if you lived in inner London you had no chance, on the outskirts and you wouldn't be a priority but would be eventually allocated a place.
Original post by jelly1000
It depends on the university. London wise I can tell you that UCL and LSE don't care where your family home is, UCL I know only care that you firm them. Queen Mary, Roehampton and Middlesex and you wouldn't be a priority and would most likely have to find alternative accomodation if you wanted to move out. Kings and certainly in the past if you lived in inner London you had no chance, on the outskirts and you wouldn't be a priority but would be eventually allocated a place.

well ****. I applied to and firmed SOAS, but we're firmly zone 2 :/
Reply 3
I firmed queen Mary and since then I keep getting emails from UCAS media advertising accomodation to book in London. You should get emails aswell if you said you'd be living out on your accomodation. However the prices are too expensive, one which I really liked was pure city but by the time I check my emails all the decent rooms have been booked and it's about £250-300 a week which isn't worth it. Luckily I live in London but it's about an hour away from the uni. Just commute from home and then for second and third years get a shared house will all your new friends, that's what I'm planning on doing. Much cheaper and more control than halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
well ****. I applied to and firmed SOAS, but we're firmly zone 2 :/

A quick look on the SOAS website tells me that only students living outside London can apply for accomodation in their halls. You can apply to any of the private halls however most are very expensive, a houseshare is your best bet for a reasonable alternative

Ps I'd have killed to live so centrally (I grew up in Zone 4 and now in Zone 5/6)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
A quick look on the SOAS website tells me that only students living outside London can apply for accomodation in their halls

Ps I'd have killed to live so centrally (I grew up in Zone 4 and now in Zone 5/6)

I know how you feel. I grew up in zone 4 aswell and now I've got to travel all the way to zone 2 on the other side for uni this year! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I know how you feel. I grew up in zone 4 aswell and now I've got to travel all the way to zone 2 on the other side for uni this year! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with that! When I'm eventually done with uni I will most likely be facing a regular commute from zone 5 to the other side of zone 1 every day for work.
Reply 7
Good luck with that! When I'm eventually done with uni I will most likely be facing a regular commute from zone 5 to the other side of zone 1 every day for work.

Thanks, good luck with that aswell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A quick look on the SOAS website tells me that only students living outside London can apply for accomodation in their halls. You can apply to any of the private halls however most are very expensive, a houseshare is your best bet for a reasonable alternative

I've seen private halls offering flats for 360 a week, and you can get flats in east london roughly zone 2/3 for 250 :') even less further out. they're ludicrous.

I know, it has its benefits, but my parents are kind of ****ty and it's not exactly that big a flat either.

could you link that? it accepted my application when I put in my postcode... thanks though!

I could probably cobble together a flatshare... maybe.
I've seen private halls offering flats for 360 a week, and you can get flats in east london roughly zone 2/3 for 250 :') even less further out. they're ludicrous.

I know, it has its benefits, but my parents are kind of ****ty and it's not exactly that big a flat either.

could you link that? it accepted my application when I put in my postcode... thanks though!

I could probably cobble together a flatshare... maybe.

All new undergraduates from outside London are advised to apply for a place in a student residence. We have around 1000 bed spaces available each year and while we try to offer accommodation to as many new students as possible, unfortunately we are unable to guarantee campus housing for all new students.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/accommodation/

You can definitley get a room in a flatshare for less than private student halls
All new undergraduates from outside London are advised to apply for a place in a student residence. We have around 1000 bed spaces available each year and while we try to offer accommodation to as many new students as possible, unfortunately we are unable to guarantee campus housing for all new students.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/accommodation/

You can definitley get a room in a flatshare for less than private student halls

yeah there's a pretty meaty 120 a week in camberwell that isn't too far from uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending