The Student Room Group

What do you think about the "dad bod"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by icdjabtjk
do you like the "mom bod"? It's ok if you do it probably works both ways, though I think Freud was an idiot myself, a lot of people like the things he said and didnt he say that men want to marry their mothers as well as daughters their fathers.

Personally though no I dont like the "mom bod" as in the type of figure my mother, any of her friends, any kind of 40-50 year old typical mums have.. a bit overweight, big sagging breasts, a few wrinkles here and there on the face etc. Not my thing! I like youthfulness more and a more slim or athletic body for a woman.

Not saying I like it but society seems to be giving us a better break, I mean 'dad bod' is almost achievable by anyone, yet we still set very high standards for women.
a "dad bod" or a body with some muscle and some fat (not too much but certainly not a six pack) is probably the strongest possible body to have in nature, for any survival situation etc. You may think that people with a high metabolism, "abs", hardly any fat on them etc are the best shape a person can be, but these people will be the ones to die first in times of low food, because they cant store food on their body to be used later on. (a low metabolism is actually much better for survival). The fat will also help keep a person warm as well. So as long as its not too much and the person is obese, some muscle and some fat is actually the strongest male body to have and how men are naturally designed to be in their prime. A kind of rugby player type body is the strongest natural body for a man to have. Not a six pack.

How often do you find yourself dying from low food? In our country that's not really a thing.

Much, much more likely is getting diabetes, high blood pressure etc from your obesity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
How often do you find yourself dying from low food? In our country that's not really a thing.

Much, much more likely is getting diabetes, high blood pressure etc from your obesity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you dont but it's still the strongest natural body. I mean how often do you find yourself relying on your muscles in a life or death situation either? You dont, yet it still looks good, because it is still showing a strong natural body. And as I said some fat, not obese. The fact of knowing a guy is skinny and weak, despite the fact that people do not rely on their muscles for life or death situations today, could make a guy look unattractive just because you know that in the "what if?" scenario, he'd be beaten to death by a stronger man. Same for guys with low body fat, you know that in the "what if?" scenario of any survival situation they'd be amongst the first to die. So to me personally they look weak. Now I never said that being obese is good, I did explicitly say that having some fat is good, not being obese but not having a six pack, and having more of what you might imagine a "rugby player body". If you know what I mean. That is a strong body to have imo.
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, obesity doesn't cause diabetes. Rather diabetes and obesity tend to be caused by the same thing which is why diabetes ends up being positively correlated with obesity - both are caused mostly by a continuous over-consumption of glucose.

And with regards to overweight people in BMI terms dying later than underweight people, yeah, if you lift and thereby are overweight because of muscle and not fat then your health outcomes are going to be even better. I suspect most of the thing with overweight people dying later are to do with them being able to better handle "treatments" such as chemo which would basically kill underweight people.

It's probably optimal for your health to stay at normal weight BMI, or overweight with lots of muscle until you're about 65 in which case being overweight without muscle or obese with muscle is probably optimal.
Very sensible. So you care more about their basic level of intelligence when it comes to training and the body then what they actually look like body-wise?

If you could pick a set body type on top of them having this knowledge then what would you go for?

Thanks. Yep.

Reasonably "in shape," not necessarily a Zyzz esque figure but definitely not the "dad bod" type of thing either. Could be a wide range. Although I guess if someone does have that knowledge about lifting they're probably a lifter themselves.
Reply 25
Some women like fat men because they themselves are fat. If their BF or husband was fit and in shape, they would feel even fatter and shamed into doing something or think their BF/husband would go off with fitter women.
Reply 26
a "dad bod" or a body with some muscle and some fat (not too much but certainly not a six pack) is probably the strongest possible body to have in nature, for any survival situation etc. You may think that people with a high metabolism, "abs", hardly any fat on them etc are the best shape a person can be, but these people will be the ones to die first in times of low food, because they cant store food on their body to be used later on. (a low metabolism is actually much better for survival). The fat will also help keep a person warm as well. So as long as its not too much and the person is obese, some muscle and some fat is actually the strongest male body to have and how men are naturally designed to be in their prime. A kind of rugby player type body is the strongest natural body for a man to have. Not a six pack.

Fat people have higher metabolism than thin people because their fat also needs energy to survive.

In a survival situation, the thinner fitter people would kill and eat the fatter, less fit people and eat them because fatter people won't be able to run as quick or fight back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and i will admit that i am getting into outdoors and survival a bit myself i suppose, and if all things were equal (like society didnt judge and say "abs" are the best) I'd choose this kind of body for myself.

Maybe like Fedor Emilianenko, he's 5'11, 16 stone 12 pounds and he has a strong body I think, a good deal of that weight is muscle, but he has some fat too. Now I'm 6'2 so I'd have to weigh more to have the same bodytype! But, he is NOT obese, nowhere near, and he's a fit guy.

http://cupegraf.com/data_images/wallpapers/11/327313-fedor-emelianenko.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/fedor-emelianenko-banned.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/131357/2550507-fedor.jpg

It isnt the typical body our society/culture reveres, but it's a stronger bodytype to have imo.
you dont but it's still the strongest natural body. I mean how often do you find yourself relying on your muscles in a life or death situation either? You dont, yet it still looks good, because it is still showing a strong natural body. And as I said some fat, not obese. The fact of knowing a guy is skinny and weak, despite the fact that people do not rely on their muscles for life or death situations today, could make a guy look unattractive just because you know that in the "what if?" scenario, he'd be beaten to death by a stronger man. Same for guys with low body fat, you know that in the "what if?" scenario of any survival situation they'd be amongst the first to die. So to me personally they look weak. Now I never said that being obese is good, I did explicitly say that having some fat is good, not being obese but not having a six pack, and having more of what you might imagine a "rugby player body". If you know what I mean. That is a strong body to have imo.

Uh I've had two near death experiences and being muscular/fit/athletic would certainly have helped in the first situation when I was still a kid (drowning at sea) and defo helped me in the second one which was recently (being hit by a car).

But ye Dad bod isn't ideal in a survival situation because you just can't compete with a more lightweight efficient body. You have to carry a lot of dead weight around which is tiring. It's a lot less tiring to do things when you have lower body fat % .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Fat people have higher metabolism than thin people because their fat also needs energy to survive.

In a survival situation, the thinner fitter people would kill and eat the fatter, less fit people and eat them because fatter people won't be able to run as quick or fight back.

the thin people would get destroyed by the types of people I am talking about, you missed out the muscular part of what I said and you're thinking they are fatter than they are. Like I said, I've posted a picture of the bodytype I am talking about now.
Original post by ChickenMadness

But ye Dad bod isn't ideal in a survival situation because you just can't compete with a more lightweight efficient body. You have to carry a lot of dead weight around which is tiring. It's a lot less tiring to do things when you have lower body fat % .

I know what you mean, on the one hand I like the kind of fedor body I linked, or like I think Ray Mears would do well in the wild he's got some bodyfat (which is a good thing for his survival) but he's also not out of shape he can hike all day. I think this is a good way to be. But then again also you have the super skinny people in some tribe who will be running after a gazelle for 3 days and nights until the gazelle tires and they catch it.
I know what you mean, on the one hand I like the kind of fedor body I linked, or like I think Ray Mears would do well in the wild he's got some bodyfat (which is a good thing for his survival) but he's also not out of shape he can hike all day. I think this is a good way to be. But then again also you have the super skinny people in some tribe who will be running after a gazelle for 3 days and nights until the gazelle tires and they catch it.

That's mostly a myth btw. Persistence hunting is extremely inefficient and tribal folks very rarely ever engage in it as it isn't worth it.

The extent to which endurance hunting occurred in the past is debatable and if it did it certainly didn't involve jogging after an animal for hours, rather it involved tracking it for days while walking.

The human body is not designed for long distance running at all which again, explains why long distance runners, who are meant to be athletes, die sooner than sedantry fat people.
well funnily enough I read a tragedy story about people being capsised at sea, but the skinny girl died quickly, the fat guy survived because his fat kept him warm enough and he floated until help arrived. I think the girl just got too cold to go on. Hit by a car though yeah I think having some muscles to absorb the shock like strong neck muscles could help out maybe!

Well what happened with me was I was just getting pulled out really far by the current and because I was a weak little kid I couldn't do anything about it. If it happened now I'd be able to swim back (I'm not really a good swimmer but I'd be able to just power through it lol). I ended up getting saved by some surfers lmao.

I think someone with a lot of muscles would be equally well equipped to fight off the cold though because one of the main mechanisms for generating heat is your muscles shivering. So if you have a lot of muscle mass it will be more effective. But ye, fat people do float lol.

Ye thats exactly what it was. I took the impact pretty much square on my shoulder and arm which I braced against my ribs. And that whole shoulder/back/chest area is the meatiest area of my body so it pretty much did absorb most of the shock. And because I don't weigh that much either I ended up getting thrown off and landed on my feet because (that agility :redface: . I was wearing rollerblades lmao). If it there wasn't any muscle mass there I'd probably have broken something tbh. (was a land rover btw)

^but ye I basically got hit by a land rover while I was skating across the road in roller blades and got thrown into a big roundabout and used the momentum to gtfo back onto the pavement
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
That's mostly a myth btw. Persistence hunting is extremely inefficient and tribal folks very rarely ever engage in it as it isn't worth it.

The extent to which endurance hunting occurred in the past is debatable and if it did it certainly didn't involve jogging after an animal for hours, rather it involved tracking it for days while walking.

The human body is not designed for long distance running at all which again, explains why long distance runners, who are meant to be athletes, die sooner than sedantry fat people.

yeah i think we are more so designed for long distance walking, though I do know it's true that humans have more endurance than most animals, whilst they are faster than us they do tire quicker and we can out last most other animals on the planet in an endurance race, evolutionarily we are right up there at the top for endurance, and we did specifically evolve to be this way, so it's quite likely we did hunt by endurance running after animals at one point in our evoultion, for example dogs cant sweat and they lose all their heat from their mouth by panting, in contrast humans evolved to sweat all over their body, to lose bodyhair to be able to lose heat quickly, if this wasnt important it wouldnt have been selected, so i think our ancestors probably did endurance hunt, or endurance was important to them in some other essential ways in order for these traits to have occurred.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Well what happened with me was I was just getting pulled out really far by the current and because I was a weak little kid I couldn't do anything about it. If it happened now I'd be able to swim back (I'm not really a good swimmer but I'd be able to just power through it lol). I ended up getting saved by some surfers lmao.

I think someone with a lot of muscles would be equally well equipped to fight off the cold though because one of the main mechanisms for generating heat is your muscles shivering. So if you have a lot of muscle mass it will be more effective. But ye, fat people do float lol.

Ye thats exactly what it was. I took the impact pretty much square on my shoulder and arm which I braced against my ribs. And that whole shoulder/back/chest area is the meatiest area of my body so it pretty much did absorb most of the shock. And because I don't weigh that much either I ended up getting thrown off and landed on my feet because (that agility :redface: . I was wearing rollerblades lmao). If it there wasn't any muscle mass there I'd probably have broken something tbh. (was a land rover btw)

oh well overall you're sounding fairly lucky right now haha.
0.7 to 0.75 hip to waist ratio is ideal imo for males
yeah i think we are more so designed for long distance walking, though I do know it's true that humans have more endurance than most animals, whilst they are faster than us they do tire quicker and we can out last most other animals on the planet in an endurance race, evolutionarily we are right up there at the top for endurance, and we did specifically evolve to be this way, so it's quite likely we did hunt by endurance running after animals at one point in our evoultion, for example dogs cant sweat and they lose all their heat from their mouth by panting, in contrast humans evolved to sweat all over their body, to lose bodyhair to be able to lose heat quickly, if this wasnt important it wouldnt have been selected, so i think our ancestors probably did endurance hunt, or endurance was important to them in some other essential ways in order for these traits to have occurred.

Have you ever tried to race an animal? Short race or long race, humans nearly always get tired first. Granted, most of us are not peak fitness, but I'm telling you that there is a great debate ongoing now about the reality of #endurance hunting. I certainly wouldn't say "we did specifically evolve to be this way".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_running_hypothesis#Against_persistence_hunting
I'd rather be a sexy dad.
Mmmmm:sexface:
I don't find skinny men attractive at all.
Reply 39
Original post by yo radical one
I'd rather be a sexy dad.

Oh yes :perv:

Mums will be jealous x

Quick Reply

Latest