The Student Room Group

Student Loan - BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science.

We have been living overseas for the past 7 years.
My son will be 18 in August 2015 and is returning to study for a BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science - Starting in September 2015
(2 year full time course)

He will be resident for tax purposes and is in the process for applying for part time work - so he will be classified as a UK resident for the 2 years.

Questions:
1 - as he has just turned 18 - is he eligible for funding ?
2 - if not eligible for funding - is he eligible for a student loan ?
3 - is he eligible for any grant/funding towards accommodation expenses ?
4 - does anyone have any recommendations for student bank accounts (Not HSBC - bad experiences)

thanks in advance.

Si
Reply 1
Original post by simonp001
My son will be 18 in August 2015 and is returning to study for a BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science - Starting in September 2015

He will be resident for tax purposes and is in the process for applying for part time work - so he will be classified as a UK resident for the 2 years.

Questions:
4 - does anyone have any recommendations for student bank accounts (Not HSBC - bad experiences)

thanks in advance.

Si
As he has not been living here for the last three years, I'm afraid he probably isn't eligible for any kind of funding at this stage. You will need to consult with Student Finance England about his particular circumstances; if you can show that he was living abroad because you (his parents) were posted there by your employers (eg the army, diplomatic service) this may help.

As for student bank accounts - check out the consumer watch online forums would be where I'd start. All banks screw up sometimes, it's just a question of how often and how significantly they manage to do it.
Reply 2
Original post by simonp001

Questions:

thanks in advance.

Si
As he has not been living here for the last three years, I'm afraid he probably isn't eligible for any kind of funding at this stage. You will need to consult with Student Finance England about his particular circumstances; if you can show that he was living abroad because you (his parents) were posted there by your employers (eg the army, diplomatic service) this may help.

As for student bank accounts - check out the consumer watch online forums would be where I'd start. All banks screw up sometimes, it's just a question of how often and how significantly they manage to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending