The Student Room Group

Failed my A-levels... AGAIN!!! What do i do now??

Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Waz123
Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

Clearing at Universities duhh
I took both AS and A2 this year for bio, chemistry and physics, and was self-taught. You just need to really focus on how you do things!

And just be patient! They can still accept you!
Reply 3
Clearing or how about the Open University?

An OU degree, whilst not the conventional/traditional way of getting a degree, is appreciated by employers because it shows commitment to better yourself, self-motivation and being a self-starter because you have to do it alone and away from any learning environment.

I've studied at both a traditional university and at the OU. BTW my OU degree was Economics and Maths so kind of similar to what you want to do.
Reply 4
The OU also has a normal BSc Maths degree as well.
Reply 5
Original post by nucdev
Clearing or how about the Open University?

An OU degree, whilst not the conventional/traditional way of getting a degree, is appreciated by employers because it shows commitment to better yourself, self-motivation and being a self-starter because you have to do it alone and away from any learning environment.

I've studied at both a traditional university and at the OU. BTW my OU degree was Economics and Maths so kind of similar to what you want to do.

But would I struggle if I have never taken economics or finance at a levels, because thats how I feel about something like computer science in that I have never programed, is it going to be similar in an economics or accounting degree ??
Reply 6
Original post by Waz123
But would I struggle if I have never taken economics or finance at a levels, because thats how I feel about something like computer science in that I have never programed, is it going to be similar in an economics or accounting degree ??

The OU have gentle start courses so if you haven't ever studied that subject or you haven't studied for a long time in general, then you can get into those subjects.

However, the first year for that course is more like an introduction to economics rather than actually getting stuck in. The proper stuff comes in the second and third years of the course.
chemical engineer here.

and didn't do physics.

I defiantly wouldn't worry if you haven't done physics. Its more maths.
Hi Waz123,

Have you considered other degrees which are linked to your A Level subjects, but don't focus on maths or computing, like Geology? Geology has elements of science and maths but is not overly complex, so it might be more manageable for you than an engineering or maths degree. Also, after completing a BSc in Geology, you can then do an MSc in something like Engineering Geology or Geotechnical Engineering, to incorporate your interest in engineering. I'm sure there are Geology degrees out there with foundation years to help you improve your science and maths to the appropriate standard, which might be worth looking into.

I hope that this helps in some way, good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Proxenus
chemical engineer here.

and didn't do physics.

Doesn't thermodynamics and fluid mechanics involve physics or is it mostly mechanics
Original post by Waz123
Doesn't thermodynamics and fluid mechanics involve physics or is it mostly mechanics

Its just very basic physics. If you have done maths A level its np
Reply 11
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Waz123,

Have you considered other degrees which are linked to your A Level subjects, but don't focus on maths or computing, like Geology? Geology has elements of science and maths but is not overly complex, so it might be more manageable for you than an engineering or maths degree. Also, after completing a BSc in Geology, you can then do an MSc in something like Engineering Geology or Geotechnical Engineering, to incorporate your interest in engineering. I'm sure there are Geology degrees out there with foundation years to help you improve your science and maths to the appropriate standard, which might be worth looking into.

Thank you I will look into it. Do you have any experience with studying geology ? if so what is the course about?
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Waz123,

my mate dropped out of doing geo. I asked him why and he says

"We just describe pebbles everyday"
Original post by Proxenus
chemical engineer here.

and didn't do physics.

*definitely

And OP, that's the reason why clearing is there. You may not get into the uni you want, but if you want to get into a uni then clearing will need to be your option. Unless you want to spend another year retaking? (But you'll be put at a disadvantage if you do so, because it's taken over 3 years to get your necessary grades)

Good luck!
Hiya,

I've pulled this out of the Chat forum into a much more suitable forum.

Are you feeling as if you have failed or actually know? You say that you starting revising earlier this year, so I can only assume that you're still waiting for results?

Also, :hand: you can actually work your way up to a high paid job in Asda! Never say no to an opportunity.
Reply 15
Original post by Roving Fish
Hiya,

I've pulled this out of the Chat forum into a much more suitable forum.

Are you feeling as if you have failed or actually know? You say that you starting revising earlier this year, so I can only assume that you're still waiting for results?

Also, :hand: you can actually work your way up to a high paid job in Asda! Never say no to an opportunity.

I think I have failed, but the frustrating this is that after my first exam I felt as if I may have full marked that paper but after that exam I kinda just froze up in all the exams for no reason even tho I felt that I knew the answers for everything. I just went blank that's why im asking for peoples opinion in what I should do....As in go uni or which school leavers I should look into or if I just revised wrong.

And trus me I have had a look and one of my aunties works in the main asda in Wolverhampton and told me its all about luck in places like that
I'm going seem unsympathetic harsh mostly because I am.

Its your own fault. I managed I think 6 GCSE`s. I failed my first set of a-levels. But now I'm 24 I'm sat on a HNC in Mechanical engineering at distinction grade. An extended diploma in engineering D*D*D* and 3 A-levels at A* grade. Maths, further maths and physics.

I made it happen. You can too.

Your options are to go to a piss poor university through clearing. Heck you even picked Aston as where you wanted to go as your first choice. Have some level of aspiration.

You can go back into education, make no excuses and get the job done and go to a good university. Ultimately you are going to put yourself in a lot of debt. Don't you want something decent in return for that?
Original post by Waz123
Thank you I will look into it. Do you have any experience with studying geology ? if so what is the course about?

I've just finished A Level geology, and I have applied to study it at degree level (I originally applied to study a combined geology and physical geography course, but now I've decided to just do geology so will likely have to reapply in September).

It's true that geology does involve studying rocks, but there are many other interesting topics too. Typical topics include structure of the Earth, plate tectonics, rocks and minerals, fossils, geochemistry, geophysics, economic geology (coal, oil, gas, metals etc), sedimentology, natural hazards, volcanic processes and hazards, climate change, engineering geology (the impact of geology when constructing roads, dams, tunnels etc), and making and interpreting geological maps.

There are many different areas you can get jobs in with a degree in geology, including volcanology (studying volcanoes and predicting eruptions), seismology (studying earthquakes and earthquake engineering), mineralogy (studying minerals - their properties, chemistry etc), geophysics, geochemistry, hydrology, mining, oil and gas exploration, civil/geotechnical engineering etc. Basically, geology opens up many employment opportunities :smile:
Maybe try an engineering apprenticeship or something similar?
Original post by Waz123
I think I have failed, but the frustrating this is that after my first exam I felt as if I may have full marked that paper but after that exam I kinda just froze up in all the exams for no reason even tho I felt that I knew the answers for everything. I just went blank that's why im asking for peoples opinion in what I should do....As in go uni or which school leavers I should look into or if I just revised wrong.

And trus me I have had a look and one of my aunties works in the main asda in Wolverhampton and told me its all about luck in places like that

I'm not sure that I can advise that much based on the fact that we don't know what your situation will be come Thursday morning.

Have you thought about looking at alternative courses with lower requirements or with course content that you're interested in?

You can have a look at courses and research them now to avoid stresses and use my handy guide to be able to find the correct option for you.

Once we know what you've got, we can look at more options for you - do pop on during Results Day for some advice!

RE:The trouble is that you have to work your way up from the bottom... Store managers earn a lot and it can take about 7 years to work up from bottom to top. Personally I'm just about to finish working part time at Asda but have been suggested to go for the grad programme and that'll switch me into a job that I'm interested in and is actually quite well paid. The job is what you make of it - if you put lots in and go for development then you'll do good. We've got a few section managers in their early 20s and they're salary paid. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending