The Student Room Group

I've become addicted to Heroin after finishing University

Just over a year ago my long term (over 3 years) girlfriend who i'd met at uni and planned to marry dumped me for someone else with no warning whatsoever, not long after i'd completely re-located to be in the same City as her where I knew no one and had a fairly straightforward but boring job in an office. My life completely fell apart and I found myself post-uni in a city where I had no friends, living in awful accommodation doing a job I hated barely earning enough to save any money at all.

Anyway long story short I started taking drugs and within four months became addicted to Heroin, when I tell anyone they don't believe it as I come from a good "privileged" background, public school, well off parents etc. I've got no friends left and whenever i've tried talking to anyone about it they immediately want nothing to do with me or disown me completely.I still have a job that I do purely to maintain my habit and the only people I can talk to about any of this stuff are other junkies who are the only people who seem to have any level of understanding about the issue.

I've done it everyday for the past eight months and can't go 12 hours without a hit, i'm in my mid-twenties and am trapped completely and utterly at the mercy of this drug. I've not seen a doctor though am thinking about booking an appointment about it. If I mention it to a doctor will I get added to some kind of list or flagged on a database of any kind? I've never committed any crime to support my habit (besides purchasing drugs) and have no criminal record. I can't go on living this way, I'm not taking drugs at this point to get high or get over emotional pain any more, that's long since all been numbed out or me, just to feel normal and to function normally. Where can I go to get help?

Scroll to see replies

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope you see a doctor. I'm not a professional, nor do I know the best place for you to go. Maybe if you contact Samaritans they will be able to direct you to the right number or address to get help immediately?
Reply 2
Original post by FeatsOfStrength
Just over a year ago my long term (over 3 years) girlfriend who i'd met at uni and planned to marry dumped me for someone else with no warning whatsoever, not long after i'd completely re-located to be in the same City as her where I knew no one and had a fairly straightforward but boring job in an office. My life completely fell apart and I found myself post-uni in a city where I had no friends, living in awful accommodation doing a job I hated barely earning enough to save any money at all.

Anyway long story short I started taking drugs and within four months became addicted to Heroin, when I tell anyone they don't believe it as I come from a good "privileged" background, public school, well off parents etc. I've got no friends left and whenever i've tried talking to anyone about it they immediately want nothing to do with me or disown me completely.I still have a job that I do purely to maintain my habit and the only people I can talk to about any of this stuff are other junkies who are the only people who seem to have any level of understanding about the issue.

I've done it everyday for the past eight months and can't go 12 hours without a hit, i'm in my mid-twenties and am trapped completely and utterly at the mercy of this drug. I've not seen a doctor though am thinking about booking an appointment about it. If I mention it to a doctor will I get added to some kind of list or flagged on a database of any kind? I've never committed any crime to support my habit (besides purchasing drugs) and have no criminal record. I can't go on living this way, I'm not taking drugs at this point to get high or get over emotional pain any more, that's long since all been numbed out or me, just to feel normal and to function normally. Where can I go to get help?

Oh man that sounds rough! Go see your GP or to a drug treatment service

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/drugs/Pages/Herointreatment.aspx

You'll be most likely be prescribed methadone to help you withdraw from the heroin.

Best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Oh man that sounds rough! Go see your GP or to a drug treatment service

You'll be most likely be prescribed methadone to help you withdraw from the heroin.

Best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried withdrawing but I get too sick to even move (the worse pain in the world) and I can't miss any work as I don't get sick pay and in the city i'm in it takes ages to get an appointment i've found there's only one small window I can book an appointment and that's friday morning between 9 and 10am for the next week but i'm at work then, if I go to a walk in clinic at the weekend could they refer me somewhere?,
My life completely fell apart and I found myself post-uni in a city where I had no friends, living in awful accommodation doing a job I hated barely earning enough to save any money at all.

How do you go from that to taking hard drugs?

We've had a heroin addict in the family. Guy hanged himself after a 10 year struggle and ruining not just his life, but everyone else's around him. :s-smilie: How is your relationship with the family? They are the first ones you should turn to for help. You just have to be honest with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I've tried withdrawing but I get too sick to even move (the worse pain in the world) and I can't miss any work as I don't get sick pay and in the city i'm in it takes ages to get an appointment i've found there's only one small window I can book an appointment and that's friday morning between 9 and 10am for the next week but i'm at work then, if I go to a walk in clinic at the weekend could they refer me somewhere?,

Don't try withdrawing without medical intervention. I would tell your boss you have a dentist/doctors appointment (not exactly a lie) and go between 9 and 10 on Friday. Your health is more important.

Maybe consider moving back home as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zyzzyspirit
How do you go from that to taking hard drugs?

We've had a heroin addict in the family. Guy hanged himself after a 10 year struggle and ruining not just his life, but everyone else's around him. :s-smilie: How is your relationship with the family? They are the first ones you should turn to. Be honest with them.

I'm not in direct contact with anyone in my family currently as they emigrated from the UK to Canada over a year ago and I stayed as I had a life planned out.

I got onto "hard" drugs after taking codeine pills for an unrelated physical injury and started buying heroin off the internet in small amounts as I was having severe depressive episodes and opiates were the only thing that gave me any kind of mental relief. Stupid in retrospect, but you don't plan on getting addicted.

I buy off street dealers now though as it's cheaper.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey at least you aren't injecting. Can I ask how you are paying for your habit. I would say you want to get on a methadone programme so maybe the doctor will help you with that. Have you tried gradually reducing the amount you smoke. If you keep smoking it will get more difficult to quit.
Original post by karl pilkington
Hey at least you aren't injecting. Can I ask how you are paying for your habit. I would say you want to get on a methadone programme so maybe the doctor will help you with that. Have you tried gradually reducing the amount you smoke. If you keep smoking it will get more difficult to quit.

I pay for it with my paycheck ahead of food or clothes, haven't bought any new clothes in over a year and cook all my own food as cheap as I can, spend about £200 a week on Heroin.It's a status quo of living from paycheck to paycheck, the weekends and evenings are the only time I can spare to go to a doctors, I can't let myself get sick or miss work (if they find out i'd be fired and it would be a downward spiral from there, I also feel bullied and picked on a lot in the workplace by my office manager)
(edited 8 years ago)
I pay for it with my paycheck ahead of food or clothes, haven't bought any new clothes in over a year and cook all my own food as cheap as I can, spend about £200 a week on Heroin.

what do you actually work as also have you tried contacting a drug rehab centre or got onto a methadone programme? Also how do you pay your rent

Reply 10
I'm not in direct contact with anyone in my family currently as they emigrated from the UK to Canada over a year ago and I stayed as I had a life planned out.

I got onto "hard" drugs after taking codeine pills for an unrelated physical injury and started buying heroin off the internet in small amounts as I was having severe depressive episodes and opiates were the only thing that gave me any kind of mental relief. Stupid in retrospect, but you don't plan on getting addicted.

I buy off street dealers now though as it's cheaper.

I'd tell your family tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Does anyone ever manage to keep friends after university
what do you actually work as also have you tried contacting a drug rehab centre or got onto a methadone programme? Also how do you pay your rent

my rent is a standing order so that goes out as soon as my paycheck comes in, I earn around £14,000 a year and have savings I frequently draw upon. No one at my work knows or suspects I'm on drugs as I said it just makes me function and I think i'd have probably flipped and hit someone if I wasn't on it, I get constantly picked on to do the worst tasks where I work and have the worst shifts (assigned by my manager) who constantly belittles me because I seem quite shy and quiet at work where most people are loud and laddish, I'm actually just so numb in the head I can deal with it but have no social life at all. I'm aware that I've got serious mental health issues though with depression, which become 100x worse when I try to come off it, it's pretty horrible but it's the only thing that balances me out and allows me to get through the days.
(edited 8 years ago)
my rent is a standing order so that goes out as soon as my paycheck comes in, I earn around £14,000 a year and have savings I frequently draw upon. No one at my work knows or suspects I'm on drugs as I said it just makes me function and I think i'd have probably flipped and hit someone if I wasn't on it, I get constantly picked on to do the worst tasks where I work and have the worst shifts (assigned by my manager) who constantly belittles me because I seem quite shy and quiet at work where most people are loud and laddish, I'm actually just so numb in the head I can deal with it but have no social life at all.

you want to get yourself on a methadone programme
you want to get yourself on a methadone programme

Methadone looks like it would just make things worse, I don't know though I need to break this cycle somehow, I don't have anyone I can turn to in real life, my ex hasn't even spoken to me in as long a time and they completely blocked me on all social media when i tried to talk to them about how ****ty everything was with my work and everything, I daren't even mention drugs to them as they'd think i'd done it to myself to spite them, which isn't the case. Not that I can do that anyway as I have no way of contacting them bar approaching her at her work which would be awful for everyone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Methadone looks like it would just make things worse, I don't know though I need to break this cycle somehow, I don't have anyone I can turn to in real life, my ex hasn't even spoken to me in as long a time and they completely blocked me on all social media when i tried to talk to them about how ****ty everything was with my work and everything, I daren't even mention drugs to them as they'd think i'd done it to myself to spite them, which isn't the case

how would it makes things worse it would stop you spending all your money and help you quit you seem too negative
how would it makes things worse it would stop you spending all your money and help you quit you seem too negative

Most of the junkies I know are also on Methadone and most of them end up using both at the same time, i'm not trying to be negative I just don't know what to do and am going to go crazy if I keep going on as I am, just feeling very trapped.
Reply 17
Original post by Plutonian
Does anyone ever manage to keep friends after university

If you move to the same town perhaps, but people drift apart. Some people realise uni friends are only based on proximity rather than actual friendship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Methadone looks like it would just make things worse, I don't know though I need to break this cycle somehow, I don't have anyone I can turn to in real life, my ex hasn't even spoken to me in as long a time and they completely blocked me on all social media when i tried to talk to them about how ****ty everything was with my work and everything, I daren't even mention drugs to them as they'd think i'd done it to myself to spite them, which isn't the case. Not that I can do that anyway as I have no way of contacting them bar approaching her at her work which would be awful for everyone.

Take some of the advice on this thread mate, it's why you posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Take some of the advice on this thread mate, it's why you posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I'm going to try and get an appointment on friday, I needed to just talk somewhere, If I go to a walk in centre after work tomorrow will they be able to help me in any way? (I'm not talking about giving me drugs I mean in terms of doctors opinion) Or will they just tell me to see my GP and send me on my way

Quick Reply

Latest