The Student Room Group

New to Gym/ Gym Routine Advice

Hi,

I've been unhappy with my body for quite a while. Over the last year or two I've gained a noticeable amount of weight. I'm not fat fat, and my BMI is in the normal range (just), but I am unhappy. Also, I realize health and fitness are really important.

So I have decided to do something about it and join the gym. The problem is I have never been before and have no idea what to do.
I had a short induction, but it wasn't particularly helpful, and was more a sales effort to get me to have a personal trainer (Which I 100% can't afford).

I am a young guy in my mid 20s. I don't know anyone well who goes to gym, and actually prefer to go alone haha. It's a bit embarrassing really, seeing all the ripped guys, and I feel I have the strength of an old woman.

Does anyone know of a good routine or a place where i can learn what to do?

My focus is on toning, gaining a little muscle mass and losing weight. A mix of static weights and cardio preferably. I have no idea about bench presses/ squats and similar, and wouldn't be comfortable doing that stuff.
Google Starting Strength, great routine for beginners. Eat a lot and get enough sleep and you're all set.
Reply 2
http://www.intense-workout.com/tone_definition.html
look at this website to get the basics, i can tell you're motivated, but be careful. Don't go into things to fast (to get your body used to it). You may be motivated know but everyone has bad days, the only way you're gonna reach your goal is through persistance. In terms of a routine there is tonnes of free routines on websites and you can also make your own. i recommend going to a website or many and making a routine your comfortable with on excel . the thing is you can plan it out as much as you want but actually doing it is another matter
good luck!!!
Reply 3
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Google Starting Strength, great routine for beginners. Eat a lot and get enough sleep and you're all set.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't think it's a programme for me though. It's very much focussed on lifting weights, which isn't mine.

Also, as I said I do not feel comfortable using free weights.
Lose weight by counting calories. Do more cardio too.. You'll see differences within a few weeks depending on the amount of your caloric deficit.
Original post by Sun!

Also, as I said I do not feel comfortable using free weights.

Well, unless you have a medical condition I don't see why you'd feel uncomfortable?

As a beginner you'll be playing around with light weights so you're under very low risk of (long-term) injury and the exercises don't require a great deal of skill. If all else fails you can ask someone big to spot you.

You'll need to do compound lifts to gain strength and muscle, if you want to just lose weight then cardio (running, skipping rope etc.) is fine.

Alternatively you could do bodyweight exercises (pushups and pull-ups definitely help), joining a martial arts gym is great in this regard since alongside getting healthier you learn self-defense.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck. :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
You need to use free weights if you want to see any good gains. You're also going to have to learn the form for bench and squat these are staples for anyone lifting weights for a reason
First of all don't worry about other people when you train. It really should always come down to 'you vs you.' Ignore how other people look, as difficult as that does sound.

The more time you spend in the gym, the more comfortable you'll begin to feel so make consistency your first goal. After that you'll feel comfortable doing anything.

In regard to what to do losing weight comes from eating less and moving more.

What are you doing now in terms of cardio?
Reply 8
My diet isn't too bad. I've tried to add a few more veggies this week though. I don't eat much meat though.

Original post by alexorlandocross
First of all don't worry about other people when you train. It really should always come down to 'you vs you.' Ignore how other people look, as difficult as that does sound.

The more time you spend in the gym, the more comfortable you'll begin to feel so make consistency your first goal. After that you'll feel comfortable doing anything.

In regard to what to do losing weight comes from eating less and moving more.

What are you doing now in terms of cardio?

I went to the gym three times last week. Doesn't feel too bad as I go in the morning and it isnt that busy.

I did a 40 minute power walk (6km/h) on the treadmill - with heartbeat aim of 140. and did 20 minutes on the cross-trainer twice.

I had a look at some of the static weight equipment. There are like 100 things, I wouldn't know where to start.
Plus there are really 'creepy' guys just doing bicep curls haha. I mean creepy as in I find it really strange :P
Read the FAQ at the top of the fitness page. It will answer just about all your questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest