The Student Room Group

Begginer to weight loss

So i need some help and thought this would be a pretty useful place to start after browsing through forums.
Basically I want to shift some weight and tone up for summer 2016. I'm 18 and around 5'6 weighing 140lbs. I wouldn't say I'm overweight but I do have a bit of a 'belly' and thigh fat I wouldn't mind losing. A few years ago I got my weight down to 130lbs due to restricting calories (don't want to go into the full story, i was in a bad place so don't want to resort to that method again)
Was just wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm at uni living in student halls in a city centre so am trying to buy healthyish foods and not binge eat - what i did before i moved out. i discovered the fitness blender youtube channel and have done one of their low impact beginner work outs but is that really enough?

any advice will be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Do some daily cardio such as running/jogging, cycling and rowing. As you get more advanced, going to the gym to work with free weights will help you tone your muscles, which will help you lose additional fat. Lifting weights will not get you big and brawny as most girls think so don't worry about the fear of looking like a bodybuilder! Complement your exercise with a good diet incorporating lean meats and veggies whilst cutting down on junk foods and sugars. In a nutshell, to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume.
Reply 2
Cut out all snacks, eat 3 healthy balanced meals a day.
Original post by caitliny15
So i need some help and thought this would be a pretty useful place to start after browsing through forums.
Basically I want to shift some weight and tone up for summer 2016. I'm 18 and around 5'6 weighing 140lbs. I wouldn't say I'm overweight but I do have a bit of a 'belly' and thigh fat I wouldn't mind losing. A few years ago I got my weight down to 130lbs due to restricting calories (don't want to go into the full story, i was in a bad place so don't want to resort to that method again)
Was just wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm at uni living in student halls in a city centre so am trying to buy healthyish foods and not binge eat - what i did before i moved out. i discovered the fitness blender youtube channel and have done one of their low impact beginner work outs but is that really enough?

Eat less, move more.
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Do some daily cardio such as running/jogging, cycling and rowing. As you get more advanced, going to the gym to work with free weights will help you tone your muscles, which will help you lose additional fat. Lifting weights will not get you big and brawny as most girls think so don't worry about the fear of looking like a bodybuilder! Complement your exercise with a good diet incorporating lean meats and veggies whilst cutting down on junk foods and sugars. In a nutshell, to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume.

thanks! i've started doing 20 minute workouts most days as they are low impact and are the only things i can manage at this stage.

This is the advice I gave someone else on tsr so hopefully you can find it useful too:
"I would start with keeping it simple. Go for calories in calories out, find out your BMR and see how much you can roughly consume to lose weight. Eat whatever you want but make sure you absolutely stay under / at the amount of calories you can consume to lose weight. Losing some weight initially whilst still eating foods that maybe aren't that healthy should hopefully motivate you as you realise that losing weight is a possible goal. Although do realise that it is highly likely that you will be counting your calories incorrectly at the start so don't get demotivated if you gain weight the first day, just adjust your diet and get better at counting calories / portion sizes accurately. I would suggest you keep doing that for as long as need be (possibly until you are at your optimum weight, or till your weight loss completely stagnates) and at that point start doing some exercise and substituting some foods for slightly healthier things. It worked for me anyway but it may not work for of course, it's just a suggestion anyway. Oh and I would suggest cutting back on carbs and increasing your protein intake as protein tends to be lower in calories and carbs can cause water retention if you, like me, don't drink that much water in a day (sounds a bit odd, I know, but it can be really annoying / demotivating if you don't know about it)"
weight loss = caloric deficit, calculate your TDEE and eat 500 less than it each day to lose 1 lb per week, obviously this is just an estimate and you will need to adjust your intake depending on how much you lose each week.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator

thanks! i've started doing 20 minute workouts most days as they are low impact and are the only things i can manage at this stage.

No worries, good luck with your goal
Do HIIT , much more effective for losing fat then regular cardio. Calculate your TDEE , eat less 250-400 less , better to reduce your intake gradually so your metabolism can adjust properly.

Also HIIT requires more than 20mins , and it will wipe you out. So make some time
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Do HIIT , much more effective for losing fat then regular cardio. Calculate your TDEE , eat less 250-400 less , better to reduce your intake gradually so your metabolism can adjust properly.

Also HIIT requires more than 20mins , and it will wipe you out. So make some time

She's a beginner, regular cardio will fine to start with.
She's a beginner, regular cardio will fine to start with.

Guess so , but best she transitioned earlier. HIIT in practice isn't that.
Guess so , but best she transitioned earlier. HIIT in practice isn't that.

HIIT should only last between 20-30mins if you're pushing
HIIT should only last between 20-30mins if you're pushing

Yeah i got confused for HIIT 30mins is enough , but for regular cardio not really.
Reply 13
Yeah i got confused for HIIT 30mins is enough , but for regular cardio not really.

so would you say around an hour of regular cardio plus the walking I do usually? e.g. to and from uni, taking the stairs in my flat instead of lift - I'm on the 6th floor.
so would you say around an hour of regular cardio plus the walking I do usually? e.g. to and from uni, taking the stairs in my flat instead of lift - I'm on the 6th floor.

I dont focus much on lifting , so not an expert. Research HIIT , its better than regular cardio. An hour cardio is pretty good tho.
How about a Personal Trainer?
Reply 16
Original post by affluentmakaveli

as a student, I really can't afford a personal trainer just now :frown: i would love one but it's just not possible
as a student, I really can't afford a personal trainer just now :frown: i would love one but it's just not possible

OK, How about the YouTube Page 'SixPackShortcuts', the exercising methods there really have helped me.
Reply 18
Why do you say you "don't want to resort to the method of restricting calories"? That's all weight loss is.

OK, How about the YouTube Page 'SixPackShortcuts', the exercising methods there really have helped me.

Are you ****ing serious?

Quick Reply

Latest