The Student Room Group

Resitting 2nd semester of first year at Uni ... advice and help please.

Hey guys, this is my first student room question (I made the account so I could ask this) so please go easy on me! Bottom line is I'm having to resit a 20 credit module that I failed by 4%. I was really down at first because I enjoy my course, I was so close to passing, and outside of uni I do lots of further reading for fun. It's absolutely gutting seeing my friends go into year 2 without me, and seeing others simply quit after also failing. I do a dual honours degree and got a 1:1 in my economics side of the degree for first year - but in the language side I've failed a writing module and since it's a core component (all my modules are) my university is refusing to let proceed to 2nd year without resitting it. I've already asked if I could carry it forward into 2nd year and do it then but they are straight-up refusing. I've agreed reluctantly to resit this one module, and will be returning in January to attend lectures for it. My question (sorry for the long-windedness) is how do I bounce back? I'm coming to the point where I've lost confidence in myself and since I'm currently back home I'm pretty damn lonely :L I've got a job and bought new year one books but it's frustrating because I already know the content and feel that after years of being pushed through a prestigious high school and sixth form I'm suddenly stagnant. I am coming to terms with the ****ty situation I'm in, but I really could do with someone to advise me on how to not feel so depressed and perhaps tell me how I can make the best out of this situation ... because I'm finding it hard to put a positive spin on this. Thank you so much for anyone who takes time out of their day to help me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Orangearrow1
X

It seems strange that you're unable to resubmit the assessments, and having to wait out a whole year. Usually they'd give you the opportunity to resubmit over summer or at least let you progress if you missed the pass mark by 4% on the condition of retaking during the second year.

Who exactly did you speak to at the university? Is there absolutely no chance of joining still?

Seek advice from your tutor and the Students' Union.

(Sorry it took a few days to get back to you! :frown:)
Reply 2
Original post by Roving Fish
It seems strange that you're unable to resubmit the assessments, and having to wait out a whole year. Usually they'd give you the opportunity to resubmit over summer or at least let you progress if you missed the pass mark by 4% on the condition of retaking during the second year.

Who exactly did you speak to at the university? Is there absolutely no chance of joining still?

Seek advice from your tutor and the Students' Union.

(Sorry it took a few days to get back to you! :frown:)

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it's been made 100% clear I can't progress to second year by my tutors, teachers and university. They said it'd be too much work and pressure on me :L
Original post by Orangearrow1
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it's been made 100% clear I can't progress to second year by my tutors, teachers and university. They said it'd be too much work and pressure on me :L

That's a bit of a bugger, isn't it.

The good news is that you'll be able to mix in with the next cohort before progressing. Also you'll have your mates there for another year before they graduate.

I've had people join and leave throughout my four years of uni, people mix in pretty well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending