The Student Room Group

long distance

hi, i'm in a long distance relationship at university and i am struggling! a lot! any tips? (other than the usual skype, get on with work)
I currently am too :smile: the best advice I can give is talk to each other regularly and be open and honest. If you're insecure about something, tell them. That way you can work together to sort it out. My boyfriend often tells me how much he loves me, and it helps more than I could say. Just communicate, and stay affectionate
I also regularly see his family, although I appreciate that you may not b able to do this
Reply 2
Original post by georgiaswift
I currently am too :smile: the best advice I can give is talk to each other regularly and be open and honest. If you're insecure about something, tell them. That way you can work together to sort it out. My boyfriend often tells me how much he loves me, and it helps more than I could say. Just communicate, and stay affectionate
I also regularly see his family, although I appreciate that you may not b able to do this

so nice to hear someone in the same situation! can i ask distance and position of both of you? i actually do see him quite a lot (once every 10 days ish) but i still find it hard. what university do you go to?
Original post by mj1g15
so nice to hear someone in the same situation! can i ask distance and position of both of you? i actually do see him quite a lot (once every 10 days ish) but i still find it hard. what university do you go to?

I'm at Queen Mary University of London, and he's over in New Zealand working. So we don't see each other in person at all. You're very lucky you get to see him, I'm very jealous! Where do you go to university?
Reply 4
I'm at Queen Mary University of London, and he's over in New Zealand working. So we don't see each other in person at all. You're very lucky you get to see him, I'm very jealous! Where do you go to university?

oh my goodness you're very very strong!!! when will you get to see him? when did you last? i am at uni of southampton!
Original post by mj1g15
oh my goodness you're very very strong!!! when will you get to see him? when did you last? i am at uni of southampton!

Thank you! It is difficult, I won't lie, but we love each other and I can't imagine being without him, so we make it work.

I last saw him at the beginning of October, and he'll be home in late January/early February. So although it's not as long as yours, seeing as yours is throughout uni, it's very difficult as we can't see each other at all for a long time.

Ah cool, what are you studying? and how far away are you from your partner?
Reply 6
Thank you! It is difficult, I won't lie, but we love each other and I can't imagine being without him, so we make it work.

I last saw him at the beginning of October, and he'll be home in late January/early February. So although it's not as long as yours, seeing as yours is throughout uni, it's very difficult as we can't see each other at all for a long time.

Ah cool, what are you studying? and how far away are you from your partner?

well, i am studying criminology and psychology and im an hour and a half train from him. but looking to transfer closer to him for the 2nd year so we can live together as thats what we have been discussing. but yes yours will go very quick and then will he be back in london near you?
Original post by mj1g15
well, i am studying criminology and psychology and im an hour and a half train from him. but looking to transfer closer to him for the 2nd year so we can live together as thats what we have been discussing. but yes yours will go very quick and then will he be back in london near you?

Thats cool :smile: That's really not a bad length of time at all, I'd give anything to only be an hour and a half away instead of a 30 hour plane journey. Ah I see, as long as it's the best thing for you then go for it, but don't compromise your education for him!

We say it'll go quick but it really feels like forever, every day feels like a bloody week :/ we actually both live in Hertfordshire and I commute into London every day. We live about 15 minutes away from each other by car
Reply 8
Thats cool :smile: That's really not a bad length of time at all, I'd give anything to only be an hour and a half away instead of a 30 hour plane journey. Ah I see, as long as it's the best thing for you then go for it, but don't compromise your education for him!

We say it'll go quick but it really feels like forever, every day feels like a bloody week :/ we actually both live in Hertfordshire and I commute into London every day. We live about 15 minutes away from each other by car

it will all be worth it i promise!!! id give anything to be able to look forward to being back with my boyfriend for good. so i am hoping i am able to transfer smoothly and it will all be accepted so i can look forward to starting next year together but its been a big struggle and i cant imagine continuing like this for 3 years and succeeding my best!!! have you ever heard of how easy it is to transfer?
Original post by mj1g15
it will all be worth it i promise!!! id give anything to be able to look forward to being back with my boyfriend for good. so i am hoping i am able to transfer smoothly and it will all be accepted so i can look forward to starting next year together but its been a big struggle and i cant imagine continuing like this for 3 years and succeeding my best!!! have you ever heard of how easy it is to transfer?

Yeah I can't wait, I'm counting down the days :smile: I'm sure it's been difficult, but if you're sure it's worth it then go for it! No I haven't, I assumed transferring would be really hard?
Reply 10
Yeah I can't wait, I'm counting down the days :smile: I'm sure it's been difficult, but if you're sure it's worth it then go for it! No I haven't, I assumed transferring would be really hard?

most people make it sound quite easy but im not sure i have emailed the new uni to see. good luck im excited for you!
Original post by mj1g15
most people make it sound quite easy but im not sure i have emailed the new uni to see. good luck im excited for you!

PM me to let me know how you get on! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending