The Student Room Group

Access to Higher education

Ok so I want to study languages (Korean/Japanese/Chinese) at SOAS London. I only have 240 point/MMM grade and their requirements are DDM.

I've contacted them and they suggested doing an Access to Humanities or access to Social sciences (or a combination of both.

Can anyone suggest how I can go about this? I haven't got a clue and I'm in between choosing 5 different universities so I can start September 2016 or taking a year to do an access so I can go to SOAS in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi @SophieMarieG

We hope you can come to SOAS in 2017. I'm not an expert at Access to HE courses but I know of a mate who did one at Bromley College (zone 4 of London) and for him to get in it was a 3 step process for him:

1. You will need to be proficient in written and spoken English and will be required to demonstrate this in rigorous pre-course e-diagnostic and face to face interview. It would be preferred that you already hold GCSEs in English and maths, however, each application will be assessed on merit.

2. Before being accepted on to Access you will need to pass all stages of our interview process.

3. On successful completion of the interview process you will be offered a conditional place on this course for the next academic year.

Obviously every Access to HE course will be different, but I thought maybe that would be a good start for you. If you're in London, here's a list of places who does it and of course, you can always check out bromley like I mentioned before:

http://www.kcc.ac.uk/courses/management-and-professional-studies/humanities/
http://www.south-thames.ac.uk/courses/access-to-higher-education/546-access-to-higher-education/4308-humanities-and-social-sciences-access-to-higher-education-diploma-level-3.html
http://www.harrow.ac.uk/courses/access-to-higher-education/access-he-courses.html

I hope it helps and best of luck!

~Mike
Original post by SophieMarieG
Ok so I want to study languages (Korean/Japanese/Chinese) at SOAS London. I only have 240 point/MMM grade and their requirements are DDM.

I've contacted them and they suggested doing an Access to Humanities or access to Social sciences (or a combination of both.

Can anyone suggest how I can go about this? I haven't got a clue and I'm in between choosing 5 different universities so I can start September 2016 or taking a year to do an access so I can go to SOAS in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your local college will probably do an Access to HE course. Read this thread for more information.
hi! I'm on access to he at the moment. I want to do Japanese at York sj. The college put me onto the combined pathway but it has nothing related to language study. So as you can imagine I'm a bit ticked off.

what did you do in the end??
Reply 4
Original post by kickingstitches
hi! I'm on access to he at the moment. I want to do Japanese at York sj. The college put me onto the combined pathway but it has nothing related to language study. So as you can imagine I'm a bit ticked off.

what did you do in the end??

I've applied to do a social science and humanities access at my local college but have yet to hear back. I'm considering doing one with the open university since they do an arts and languages type access, however I think it's only 30 credits ^^;

I'm still considering studying abroad but I just don't really know where to start aha but I thought at least if I take an access then it gives me a wider choice of universities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending