The Student Room Group

Meritocracy vs Positive Discrimination

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Indemnify my country then we will leave.

Interesting. Did you know that little of the wealth of a country is more than 25years old? Germany was virtually obliterated in 1945 but by 1970 it was a vigorous, prosperous country.

The current population of the UK cannot be held responsible for any economic effects anywhere before about 1980-90. That said, the nineteenth century ancestors of most modern white British were as much victims of industrialisation and trade expansion as any people in other countries, have you studied English social history?

If your country is poor, blame its government and people.
Original post by newpersonage
Interesting. Did you know that little of the wealth of a country is more than 25years old? Germany was virtually obliterated in 1945 but by 1970 it was a vigorous, prosperous country.

The current population of the UK cannot be held responsible for any economic effects anywhere before about 1980-90. That said, the nineteenth century ancestors of most modern white British were as much victims of industrialisation and trade expansion as any people in other countries, have you studied English social history?

Although you're correct Germany is s bad example. Cough Marshall plan cough- also Germany had already been industrialised etc do the results for say Uganda are bound to be different.

I would like to see a law against postmarxism - perhaps a public flogging for anyone who poses as a saint.

Nothing like public flogging to bring communities together against the neo Marxists and build a healthy society.

Just ask the Iranians.
Original post by Wave of Wisdom
Do you care to explain how this is at all possible? So, your tribe can attack the natives, plunder private property and rape their women- and if it's distinctly foreign tribe vs. native tribe: there is no racial motivation involved and they can't be accused of racism?

I'm done here

Whether POCs can be racist to each other is another conversation, but i suppose it is possible. nevertheless, in the context of the UK, BMEs cannot be racist to brits

You may be done here but you are not fully informed on this issue
Original post by paul514
Compensate which country? Why? Isn't this your country?

Very very odd person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this my country though? i was certainly born here and i speak the language but the issues that come with integration and the implicit sense of superiority held by whites that is imposed on to POCs certainly makes some POCs, including myself, question their acceptance in this country.

You have not explained your reasoning, nor have you considered the hypocrisy. If racism is supposed to be bad, then it should be bad across the board.

My own position is that racism is natural and it exists to protect the group from infiltration. We don't need positive discrimination because it does not benefit the native population whatsoever. "Women" are not a minority; blacks and minority ethnic groups can struggle along with the rest of us, without preferential treatment.

You go to a supermarket and look who is employed. Black or White: are either of them "privileged"? You are using buzzword terms that you clearly heard on Tumblr or sociology class. This is being told to you by someone you consider an authority and so take it as read. You have to be a little bit more sceptical than that.
Original post by Davij038
What about in places in England where say whites are a minority? Hackney for instance? If a white person was stabbed by a black person in that area for being a 'Whitey' would that not be a racist assault?

Being a minority does not necessarily deprive you of the benefits of institutional power and white privilege. even in African countries white people hold influence due to the history of colonialism

A Black person may be prejudiced in their reasons for stabbing a white person but they're not engaging in a system of racism which tells them they're better than a white person. thus it is not racism, but a racially aggravated offence. if i call you a "whitey" i may be saying something to hurt you but it has no historically oppressive,brutally violent negative connotation.

a black person (in england at least) has no historic basis in which he can feel superior to white person, and so cannot reasonably believe he is superior to a white person, and so cannot be racist

Britain also was demolished by the war but what helped it rebuild? people coming in from the colonies. Loans from the US. White privilege and preference

Germany still had its science and intellectual prowess. it still had the history and knowledge needed to rebuild a country of new philosophies and economic practices post-Nazism.

Conversely Africa was brutally stripped off its progress, of its on way of doing things due to slavery and colonialism and foreign political intrigue. Africa lost its foundation and was made to convert to a western one. huge difference

yeah sure british people suffered in the industrial revolution but due to the gains made from exploiting other countries the majority of the populace now have a better standard of life.

True every country must take the blame for their issues but the disadvantage imposed by the west on to developing countries should not be ignored or swept under the rug
You have not explained your reasoning, nor have you considered the hypocrisy. If racism is supposed to be bad, then it should be bad across the board.

My own position is that racism is natural and it exists to protect the group from infiltration. We don't need positive discrimination because it does not benefit the native population whatsoever. "Women" are not a minority; blacks and minority ethnic groups can struggle along with the rest of us, without preferential treatment.

You go to a supermarket and look who is employed. Black or White: are either of them "privileged"? You are using buzzword terms that you clearly heard on Tumblr or sociology class. This is being told to you by someone you consider an authority and so take it as read. You have to be a little bit more sceptical than that.

Lol

Well if you think that you surely do not believe in equality.

I mean of course YOU wouldnt consider positive discrimination.

The mere thought of a black person overstepping their rank? The idea of a "negro" in a position of influence in a FTSE 100? My, the idea must send you mad
Original post by BobbyFlay
So much irony...
Please address my argument.

What argument? You are confused on the subject of racism. i merely seek to educate you
Lol

Well if you think that you surely do not believe in equality.

I mean of course YOU wouldnt consider positive discrimination.

The mere thought of a black person overstepping their rank? The idea of a "negro" in a position of influence in a FTSE 100? My, the idea must send you mad

It doesn't send me mad, but it seems like not being in a position of power and influence of my country makes you angry.

If you are black, then you should seek power and influence in your country. In the UK, you are a worker and nothing more. You cannot be a part of our political system, in my opinion, because you have an allegiance to two nations. This dual allegiance is especially dangerous with Jews, who are tied to Israel+1.

Of course I don't "believe" in equality. I am a sceptic. I seek truths, whether it hurts or not. Biology and evolution doesn't stop at the neck. Everybody is unique; we cannot be replaced. When all the Japanese people are gone from Japan, Japan will cease to exist. Likewise, when Britain becomes a majority Asian/African/Middle-Eastern country, it ceases to be Great Britain. We are no longer a nation because of agitators like you.

I do not believe in positive discrimination because it holds back the very people who this nation used to exist to protect. It is evil and destructive.
Whether POCs can be racist to each other is another conversation, but i suppose it is possible. nevertheless, in the context of the UK, BMEs cannot be racist to brits

I'm a BME and I think most white people are lazy good-for-nothings with terrible morals who will often expect the government to do everything for them.

Now, am I being racist?
What argument?

Refer to my original comment. If you do not understand refer to the link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense
You are confused on the subject of racism. i merely seek to educate you

I've pointed out the problem with YOUR definition of racism, please address this.
Here are some more problems with it:
1- What defines who has power?
2- By your definition white people in Pakistan or any other POC majority country cannot be racist - see the problem with that?
3- It is a means of silencing all arguments from white people and putting the opinions of POC's above that of white people. It is inherently against freedom of speech.
4- If I encounter a racist homeless white person, can he be racist?
As per your definition?
I could go on...
It doesn't send me mad, but it seems like not being in a position of power and influence of my country makes you angry.

If you are black, then you should seek power and influence in your country. In the UK, you are a worker and nothing more. You cannot be a part of our political system, in my opinion, because you have an allegiance to two nations. This dual allegiance is especially dangerous with Jews, who are tied to Israel+1.

But if they're being brainwashed by cultural Marxism it doesn't matter- for instance in the U.S. A majority of Jews actually condemn Israeli state practice.

Of course I don't "believe" in equality. I am a sceptic. I seek truths, whether it hurts or not. Biology and evolution doesn't stop at the neck. Everybody is unique; we cannot be replaced. When all the Japanese people are gone from Japan, Japan will cease to exist. Likewise, when Britain becomes a majority Asian/African/Middle-Eastern country, it ceases to be Great Britain. We are no longer a nation because of agitators like you.

I do not believe in positive discrimination because it holds back the very people who this nation used to exist to protect. It is evil and destructive.

I actually agree with you to an extent- racism is or at least was a natural system to allocate scarce resources. In modern times we need not suffer from scarcity.

Human beings can act above nature in any case- modern medicine, flight, nuclear weapons, telecommunication oh and marriage which you're keen on isn't confined by the laws of nature.

At least you can admit you're racist
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I'm a BME and I think most white people are lazy good-for-nothings with terrible morals who will often expect the government to do everything for them.

Now, am I being racist?

No because you dont have the power to properly put those beliefs into practice.

for eg if you were the boss of a business say an accountancy firm and you didnt hire whites for reasons of the above. there are enough around that your racial prejudices will not bar white people from entry to that field. even more so the race laws in this country will stop you from enacting on that racism if you were a boss. plus socially your views are not enforced by the media or wider society (so the daily mail wont contribute a stereotype that whites are scroungers but will contribute toe a stereotype that all muslims are terrorist) lastly there is no historical basis or grounding for your belief. propaganda throughout the years propagated by the powers that be do not show that white people are lazy, good for nothings
Original post by TheNote
Positive discrimination is dumb as **** and should never be implemented.

"Hurr durr I can't into educate"

Work hard enough and you will get into oxbridge or other high tier universities, or get training in plumbing, building or metallurgy, there is nothing holding you back except if your parents are horrible people in which case would you suggest that we remove all children from their parents at an early age to make everyone equal? no, of course not.

Equal opertunity lets the best rise to the top and the worst stay at the bottom where they belong.

Except equal opportunity does not exist. Regardless of what you believe, we live in a society in which is dominated predominantly by white males. This means most institutions, business and conglomerates are controlled by white males. for what ever reason, white males are more likely to employ white males or white females. whether or not this is due to them being able to relate to white peers more adequately or racism, i do not know. This is where affirmative action is needed, to broaden the opportunities of ethnic minorities.
Original post by BobbyFlay
Refer to my original comment. If you do not understand refer to the link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

I've pointed out the problem with YOUR definition of racism, please address this.
Here are some more problems with it:
1- What defines who has power?
2- By your definition white people in Pakistan or any other POC majority country cannot be racist - see the problem with that?
3- It is a means of silencing all arguments from white people and putting the opinions of POC's above that of white people. It is inherently against freedom of speech.
4- If I encounter a racist homeless white person, can he be racist?
As per your definition?
I could go on...

1- colonialism
2-except white influence stems to former colonies. eg language preference. so whites can still be racist in pakistan unless pakistan decided to go on a campaign of eliminating western ideals and things associated with white people for centuries
3-you can say what you want. im just gonna correct you.
4-sure. this was a common problem in the american south even. poor whites felt better than middle class blacks because they were taught that they came from socrates and plato, but blacks were made to feel like **** and feel like they deserved their harsh treatment. thats how racism works. prejudice and implementing that prejudice. its not enough to be a dick. youve got to get to a position of power to impose your dickiness and do it consistently for centuries. thats why POCs cant be racist.
At least you can admit you're racist

But the term has no bite against me. That doesn't win you the argument because I reject any negative connotations to the word. Try again.
No because you dont have the power to properly put those beliefs into practice.

for eg if you were the boss of a business say an accountancy firm and you didnt hire whites for reasons of the above. there are enough around that your racial prejudices will not bar white people from entry to that field. even more so the race laws in this country will stop you from enacting on that racism if you were a boss. plus socially your views are not enforced by the media or wider society (so the daily mail wont contribute a stereotype that whites are scroungers but will contribute toe a stereotype that all muslims are terrorist) lastly there is no historical basis or grounding for your belief. propaganda throughout the years propagated by the powers that be do not show that white people are lazy, good for nothings
You are completely deluded. Go back to Tumblr where you belong. Or school.

And if you read the Daily Mail you'll very well know it's stance against Northern White scroungers.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending