The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to watch bullying and not intervene

Poll

Is it wrong to witness bullying and do nothing?

I find myself doing this frequently. I usually think it's none of my business as there are two sides to every story. I don't know what the kid has done so I usually leave it. Morally I have mixed feelings about it but at the end of the day it's often hard to tell what to do and intervening will often make things worse especially if you can't tell if it's actual bullying or just kids having a bit of fun. Plus I'm not exactly sure how to intervene especially if it involves threatening kids way younger than me.

I was bullied in year 7 and although it hurt at the time it helped make me a better person and stopped me being so weird so I'm kind of inclined to let kids sort out their own problems without needing people to babysit them.

What do you think about this? Have you ever been a bystander in a bullying situation? Would you say it's wrong to just sit and watch?
Reply 1
Tricky one, if it's blatant bullying I'd step in and bully the bully. But if I didn't see it start, I'd stay out of it because for all I know they're just mucking around
If you don't think you can win then there is no point putting yourself in harms way just to become another victim.

It would be better to note it down and bring a cricket bat to school the next day.
Reply 3
Yes tbh, if you can see the person cant defend themselves you should intervene. I'd step to anyone providing they didn't have a gun or knife.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's wrong. As a general rule in life, if you see any kind of conflict or violence, it's best not to get involved because you can end up causing trouble for yourself. Walk away and let them sort out their own problems.
To watch it and not say anything is probably worse than actually bullying the person becasue u have done nothing to prevent it. I would probably try to stop it because it's better to be sure than sorry later on as u have done nothing if the victim started hurting themselves.
yes good idea cold 187 um
Original post by Cold 187um
I don't think it's wrong. As a general rule in life, if you see any kind of conflict or violence, it's best not to get involved because you can end up causing trouble for yourself. Walk away and let them sort out their own problems.
What DiddyDec said, if you are not at risk then what harm can getting involved possibly do? And it's easy to tell if they're mucking around, if it's all one way then it's bullying, if it's not it isn't. Even more so when it's violent bullying.

If you've been bullied yourself you should know better than to just do nothing cos it's not your business.
Original post by Wilfred Little
What DiddyDec said, if you are not at risk then what harm can getting involved possibly do? And it's easy to tell if they're mucking around, if it's all one way then it's bullying, if it's not it isn't. Even more so when it's violent bullying.

If you've been bullied yourself you should know better than to just do nothing cos it's not your business.
Ah but being bullied made me stronger and meant I learned to stand up for myself as well as to stop being weird. At the end of the day it was an overall good thing. So this is partially my reasoning for not intervening.

Quick Reply

Latest