The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

I also received a rejection from Sheffield Hallam today because:

"Other candidates showed a better understanding of the breadth and depth of the professional role in their personal statements."

They also offered me a place on the physical activity, sport and health course which I think is just adding salt to the wound haha.

It's got me a bit down as I really liked this university and I do have understanding of the professional role, I probably just didn't make it seem like that in my personal statement.

Onwards and upwards though, still have 4 universities remaining, hopefully they will be more positive than Sheffield Hallam.
Hello everyone. I've seen quite a few people getting down but here is my advice (I've had a rejection too)

Sometimes set backs are good and have happened for a reason keep the heads up we will all get there!

SPS
Original post by louisemcnic
Hey everyone, this post was a god send to me last year so I figured I'd offer any help I can in return! I got 4 offers from Leeds Beckett, Sheffield Hallam, York and Teeside. I am now a Physio student at Leeds Beckett! If anyone has any questions or wants any advice feel free to ask!

Hi, well done on your offers from last year! I love Leeds Beckett, it's going to be my first choice and I really hope to get an interview! What did you include in your personal statement and how was the interview if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by SophieL1997
Interview at Sheffield Hallam so excited !! How is everyone else doing ?

Also got an interview at Sheffield Hallam! January 13th? Got my interview at Coventry on Wednesday!😁
I'm a gap year applicant with the grades. Currently working as a HCA in a rehab unit for the elderly and amputees. I've applied to MMU, Sheffield Hallam, Keele, Liverpool and York St John. Still haven't heard anything yet but so glad that I've finally found this thread!
Original post by maverick-01
I'm a gap year applicant with the grades. Currently working as a HCA in a rehab unit for the elderly and amputees. I've applied to MMU, Sheffield Hallam, Keele, Liverpool and York St John. Still haven't heard anything yet but so glad that I've finally found this thread!

Excellent choices of universities! When did you apply may I ask?
Reply 246
Original post by nadandfad
Hi guys,

I applied to Nottingham, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, Worcester and Keele last year and got 5 interviews - I got 4 offers (all apart from Northumbria). I now have an unconditional offer to study at Nottingham for Sept 2016.

If anyone wants any advice for interviews etc then feel free to ask - I wish I had help before my interviews, haha!!

Hiya. How was your interview with keele? I have one in 3 weeks!!😁
Hi guys,

I applied to Nottingham, Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, Worcester and Keele last year and got 5 interviews - I got 4 offers (all apart from Northumbria). I now have an unconditional offer to study at Nottingham for Sept 2016.

If anyone wants any advice for interviews etc then feel free to ask - I wish I had help before my interviews, haha!!

I've got an interview next Wednesday and am freaking out about it! Any help would be appreciated!

What sort of questions do they ask in interview? Is it mainly personal questions like expanding on my personal statement so I would sell myself to them in that way or will they be asking about what I already know about physiotherapy so they'd be judging me based on my knowledge? Also do you remember how long the individual generally lasted? Unsure of how much to prepare.

Also, what does the group task/interview consist of like what do they ask and what would you say is a good way to make myself stand out from others? Again, will I be expected to already have a basic understanding of physiotherapy in order to make myself stand out?
Original post by spshsha1
Excellent choices of universities! When did you apply may I ask?

My application went a week ago. Had a rejection from Liverpool today so feeling pretty disheartened but it just wasn't meant to be. The reasoning was down to lack of experience, I don't know how I could have shown more insight into the career. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other four. :smile:
Original post by cherry16
i was thinking of applying to both physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Is this possible?

No you need to pick one. They'll see you're not committed to the career if you apply for some OT and Physio courses.
Original post by maverick-01
My application went a week ago. Had a rejection from Liverpool today so feeling pretty disheartened but it just wasn't meant to be. The reasoning was down to lack of experience, I don't know how I could have shown more insight into the career. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other four. :smile:

I'm calling uni of liverpool tomorrow:

2 X NHS placements
8 weeks COPD CVD rehab
15 months at a premier league club
5 months as a volunteer

Response was: not enough experience
Original post by eks8991
Hiya. How was your interview with keele? I have one in 3 weeks!!😁

I found it to be the worst out of my 5, but that might have been because I generally didn't like the uni haha. Scenario based questions were asked so there's not much you can prepare for - just give it a good think before getting stuck into your answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlottedoddd
I've got an interview next Wednesday and am freaking out about it! Any help would be appreciated!

What sort of questions do they ask in interview? Is it mainly personal questions like expanding on my personal statement so I would sell myself to them in that way or will they be asking about what I already know about physiotherapy so they'd be judging me based on my knowledge? Also do you remember how long the individual generally lasted? Unsure of how much to prepare.

Also, what does the group task/interview consist of like what do they ask and what would you say is a good way to make myself stand out from others? Again, will I be expected to already have a basic understanding of physiotherapy in order to make myself stand out?

You sign a form saying you can't tell others explicitly but I'll try and help -

They're not gonna ask any ridiculous questions like what's the exact salary of a physio or something hahaha. But they could ask you what areas you expect a physio to work in (there's loads of info online), the qualities of a physio, etc...

Individual interviews usually last around 20-30 minutes, they have a set amount of questions and they have to record what you say

As I've mentioned above, get the right balance, not too shy but not overpowering. They hate bossiness so contribute cleverly. They can ask you to do tasks working with others relating to physio, or they could do unrelated physio stuff to gauge how well you work in a team - think about team building exercises/tasks at school you did with others

Basic knowledge is vital, but don't list off facts about physiotherapy - they want you to be genuine and know you're the right fit for the course & career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oliver_1_2
I also received a rejection from Sheffield Hallam today because:

"Other candidates showed a better understanding of the breadth and depth of the professional role in their personal statements."

They also offered me a place on the physical activity, sport and health course which I think is just adding salt to the wound haha.

It's got me a bit down as I really liked this university and I do have understanding of the professional role, I probably just didn't make it seem like that in my personal statement.

Onwards and upwards though, still have 4 universities remaining, hopefully they will be more positive than Sheffield Hallam.

At the risk of sounding stupid, can anyone shed some light on how exactly you are meant to display a knowledge of the profession/the professional role of a physiotherapist?
Hi guys has anyone applied for Salford and heard back?
Hi guys,

What was your interview from keele like??
Original post by jessjkc
What was your interview from keele like??

Look about 4 messages up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had an interview for brunel, I've got one in 2 weeks and just wondering???
Hi Everyone,

I should technically be in second year but I dropped out of uni because my course wasn't for me, and I'm taking a gap year, Currently reapplying for university to study physio.
Received a conditional offer from University of Hertfordshire today for physiotherapy! Such a good feeling after getting a rejection earlier on in the week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending