The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Applied to UCL, Manchester, Sheffield and Edinburgh
Predicted IB grade: 44 with a 7 in Art, DT and Math
Already got an offer from Edinburgh for 34 and 655 at HL but still stuck as to what to include in my UCL task which is due 3rd of December :"(
Original post by hieveryonexd
Yep, I've gotten an offer (for 34 in the IB). I think I got it about 6 weeks after I applied. I'm sure you'll get it soon if your personal statement and grades are good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
when did you send your application off? I sent mine off in the third week of october! so it'll be six weeks this week haha just hoping I'll hear from them soon, I know applicants from last year that didn't hear from them until march!
Does anyone know what size the sheets are for the Sheffield portfolio (A4, A3, as big as you like)?

I haven't sent my application yet but I can't find it on the website or the guidance sheet, although this might be my incompetence rather than it not being there... :smile:
Hi guys! Has anyone applied to Manchester?

Have you heard anything and what were your predicted grades?
Original post by SJB215
I am in year 12, by A2 I'm hoping to achieve an A in Maths, B in Further Maths, B in Physics and a B in Product Design.

What universities would I be able to get into? My dream has always been bath but highly doubt I would get accepted!

Recently, I have been thinking that I need to start my portfolio for applications, would this be needed/helpful?

Sorry for all the questions and I thank anyone in advance. Any advice at all would be amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm in year 12 too! I'm taking art, maths, history and Product Design!! I want to go to bath too but doesn't everyone? haha message me please!!
Reply 105
Original post by Banterlopes
Does anyone know what size the sheets are for the Sheffield portfolio (A4, A3, as big as you like)?

I haven't sent my application yet but I can't find it on the website or the guidance sheet, although this might be my incompetence rather than it not being there... :smile:

A4 sheets
Original post by Grewsters
A4 sheets

Thank you so very much!

Also, are we able to use the 'My Street' task in other portfolios sent to other universities? It seems a waste to only use it in one!
Hi everyone, thought I'd join in now I've finally sent off my application,

I've applied to Bath, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield and Brighton and am predicted AAA in Fine Art, Maths and French and an A in EPQ so Bath is a bit of a long shot but I've got my fingers crossed!

I got the email today about the portfolio for Sheffield and I was wondering what kind of things others included, like should it be entirely arty stuff or is it worth including some design ideas and models I've made for EPQ?
Reply 108
I need help! I'm trying to upload my Portfolio to the Sheffield Undergraduate Document Upload site, and there is a limit of 6MB. Currently, the 10 pages amount to 95MB apparently, so how am I supposed to reduce it that much? Other than just compressing images - which is doing nowt good.
Reply 109
Original post by Banterlopes
Thank you so very much!

Also, are we able to use the 'My Street' task in other portfolios sent to other universities? It seems a waste to only use it in one!

It's art you've done so ofc you can!!! Unis won't be discussing your artwork between them and plus you should have a lot to say about it now you've designed it to Sheffield's brief
Reply 110
Original post by archizzy
Hi everyone, thought I'd join in now I've finally sent off my application,

I've applied to Bath, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield and Brighton and am predicted AAA in Fine Art, Maths and French and an A in EPQ so Bath is a bit of a long shot but I've got my fingers crossed!

I got the email today about the portfolio for Sheffield and I was wondering what kind of things others included, like should it be entirely arty stuff or is it worth including some design ideas and models I've made for EPQ?

100% include 3D work especially if it was part of your independent EPQ project and not part of your internal school subjects. If by design ideas you mean initial sketches then again YES! I'd definitely recommend thoughtful sketches over finished pieces.
Reply 111
Original post by smbeech
I need help! I'm trying to upload my Portfolio to the Sheffield Undergraduate Document Upload site, and there is a limit of 6MB. Currently, the 10 pages amount to 95MB apparently, so how am I supposed to reduce it that much? Other than just compressing images - which is doing nowt good.

Are you definitely sure you've compressed the images? I had 20 images taken on a DSLR and it managed to compress to circa 4MB. How many images have you included?
Reply 112
Are you definitely sure you've compressed the images? I had 20 images taken on a DSLR and it managed to compress to circa 4MB. How many images have you included?

There's roughly 30 in there, of varying sizes. Is that too much? Should I think about trimming it down?
Reply 113
Original post by smbeech
There's roughly 30 in there, of varying sizes. Is that too much? Should I think about trimming it down?

30 images definitely isn't too much as long as you could give a valid, unique and interesting reason for including and creating each one. If you can do this with only 5 or even 40 images then it would still be fine. However if it starts going over the size limit then that's when you need to start being more selective.
Reply 114
Original post by smbeech

Don't trim anything down!! There's an editing tool that compresses all images to lower definitions! Google, or just have a quick look for it!
100% include 3D work especially if it was part of your independent EPQ project and not part of your internal school subjects. If by design ideas you mean initial sketches then again YES! I'd definitely recommend thoughtful sketches over finished pieces.

Thank you! This has really reassured me :')
Reply 116
Has anyone received an offer from Sheffield or Nottingham or received an interview from UCL yet??
No interview, just been given the task.
Reply 118
Yes. Got an offer, after a week since I submitted the portfolio. I am an international student, but the offer is the equivalent of A*/AAA. It is almost the same as the one from Bath, which is quite interesting.
Is anyone going to the applicant selection day at Liverpool university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending