The Student Room Group

I gave her my number. Did I do the right thing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by believeteam22
Update.

The 1st girl I did not see today. I don't think she was working today. As for the 2nd girl, as soon as I got in, she was there. She looked at me smiled and said hey.

Later, when I started work, she came over to my section and started talking to me. Briefly then I got called away to help with something else.

Then throughout the day, whenever I looked in her direction, I saw her looking at me and smiling, not just once, but plenty of times.

I thought to myself ok just go for it. So I went and ask her for her number. She said noo, she started to laugh and she walked away.

Well..that was unexpected and I was pretty disappointed but oh well. I don't understand. Unless there is something wrong with me understanding signs, but I felt she interested.

Anyway it's done now. I don't care now to be honest. But I want to know did I do something wrong or should I just take it that she was simply not interested, and that her constant looking at me, smiling, talking to me was nothing as what I perceived it to be?

I need a break to reevaluate my approach and game before talking to another girl.

Any advice in general would be great.

Well there were no signs she was ever interested. If a girl smiles at you or catches your gaze that could mean anything. I told you earlier it's stupid to ask for a number without context. Much better to ask out directly. Judging from her surprised reaction, either you didn't convey your interest in her properly when you spoke (i.e didn't flirt) or more likely she just finds you unattractive.

Personally I don't think the outcome would have been any different if you acted otherwise. There just isn't any mutual interest.
Original post by chikane
Omg why not just ask her out for a coffee then ask for her number?

I know right that makes so much more sense.
Original post by frozen_fire
I know right that makes so much more sense.

Some boys are bloody idiots
Well there were no signs she was ever interested. If a girl smiles at you or catches your gaze that could mean anything. I told you earlier it's stupid to ask for a number without context. Much better to ask out directly. Judging from her surprised reaction, either you didn't convey your interest in her properly when you spoke (i.e didn't flirt) or more likely she just finds you unattractive.

Personally I don't think the outcome would have been any different if you acted otherwise. There just isn't any mutual interest.

It wasn't just once, she kept looking and smiling all day! Actually, it's quite normal to ask a girl for her number. I asked another girl for her number last week and she gave it.
Well, I don't know.

I guess she is not interested. Oh well. It's alright, I'm over it already. On to the next one.
Original post by chikane
Omg why not just ask her out for a coffee then ask for her number? Or ask if she has fb.
She probably said no to you having her number as she thinks you might constantly text or call her so dont blame her saying no
Facebook was safer thing to ask for.

Asking for fb is not right lol, who even does that? I asked another girls number and got it without any problems. Anyway, it's done now.
Asking for fb is not right lol, who even does that? I asked another girls number and got it without any problems. Anyway, it's done now.

Mate... Its 2015, people do this all the time. Its an easy way to make contact with a potential love interest. You ask to add them, start messaging them to gauge their interest and then ask for their number. Far too many women are cautious about who they give their number to (me included). I'd much prefer to add someone to social media first and take it from there if I met them at work especially. You also avoid the awkwardness to follow if you get rejected if you go down this route. I've added plenty of work colleagues on social media.

Atleast you could message her on it and its normal to ask that btw. I would rather have someone add me on fb then get my number as its easier to block them on fb if they go all creepy.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Mate... Its 2015, people do this all the time. Its an easy way to make contact with a potential love interest. You ask to add them, start messaging them to gauge their interest and then ask for their number. Far too many women are cautious about who they give their number to (me included). I'd much prefer to add someone to social media first and take it from there if I met them at work especially. You also avoid the awkwardness to follow if you get rejected if you go down this route. I've added plenty of work colleagues on social media.

Exactly this plus easier to block weirdos on fb lol.

Ahh. I could have done that. Ok from now on, I won't ask a girl for her number, I'll go the social media route. But still, should I take it since she said no when I asked for the number, she is just not interested? Also, another thing, when I asked for her number, she said no and she was laughing as though it was funny (lol) that was rather annoying. Anyway, I tried.

Original post by chikane
Atleast you could message her on it and its normal to ask that btw. I would rather have someone add me on fb then get my number as its easier to block them on fb if they go all creepy.

Ah ok that's true. But what if she said no she doesn't have fb?

Anyway, whenever I see her next, it will be rather interesting lol.
Original post by chikane
Exactly this plus easier to block weirdos on fb lol.

It's true! I've regretted giving out my number so many times.
It's true! I've regretted giving out my number so many times.

Ah ok. No more asking for numbers then.
It wasn't just once, she kept looking and smiling all day! Actually, it's quite normal to ask a girl for her number. I asked another girl for her number last week and she gave it.
Well, I don't know.

I guess she is not interested. Oh well. It's alright, I'm over it already. On to the next one.

Your problem believeteam is you ask for advice but don't listen. Getting a girl's number isn't some magic golden ticket. For you to go up to her, randomly ask for her number with ZERO context and EXPECT her to give it to you is frankly delusional! All cos she was staring at you repeatedly and smiled. The girl was surprised and embarassed.
But still, should I take it since she said no when I asked for the number, she is just not interested?

What seriously? Does she need to spell it out for you in black and white?
Your problem believeteam is you ask for advice but don't listen. Getting a girl's number isn't some magic golden ticket. For you to go up to her, randomly ask for her number with ZERO context and EXPECT her to give it to you is frankly delusional! All cos she was staring at you repeatedly and smiled. The girl was surprised and embarassed.

But getting her number is a step in the right direction, no? She should understand why I am asking for her number. Anyway ok whatever. I wasn't going to see her anymore now as we work different days and I just wanted to talk to her another time.

Anyway I need to change some things it seems. I am 0-2 now and so I am going to stop for now and evaluate what has gone wrong.
But getting her number is a step in the right direction, no? She should understand why I am asking for her number. Anyway ok whatever. I wasn't going to see her anymore now as we work different days and I just wanted to talk to her another time.

Anyway I need to change some things it seems. I am 0-2 now and so I am going to stop for now and evaluate what has gone wrong.

Are you keeping a cricket score now? If so you really need to step up on the batting front.
Are you keeping a cricket score now? If so you really need to step up on the batting front.

haha no, but just saying lol. I just feel a little down to be honest. And my confidence has taken a hit too. I don't even know what to do when the next girl comes around.
For many, (including me) I won't give out my number unless there's a reason to do so. So, if you say "because I would like to go for a coffee with you sometime" I'm more likely to give you my number than if you don't give me a reason.

As someone said, first impressions really count.
Believeteam has to build his confidence and self-esteem before attempting to get a date. It's pretty obvious. No girl will want to date him until he fixes it.
Original post by Tiger Rag
For many, (including me) I won't give out my number unless there's a reason to do so. So, if you say "because I would like to go for a coffee with you sometime" I'm more likely to give you my number than if you don't give me a reason.

As someone said, first impressions really count.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Original post by Vaginal_Rights
Believeteam has to build his confidence and self-esteem before attempting to get a date. It's pretty obvious. No girl will want to date him until he fixes it.

Ok so how do I do this?
Hows it going with 2nd girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending