The Student Room Group

Arnold blueprint to mass

Hi,
I've been looking for a new workout plan because quite frankly I'm too lazy to make my own and I stumbled across Arnold's blueprint to mass. Has anyone completed the program? If so, what were the results?

Also... Does anyone know of any other good programs out there? Pls share 😄

Cheers.
Sacred

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I would honestly not recommend doing one of those arnold/bodybuilding routines unless you've been lifting for a while
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I would honestly not recommend doing one of those arnold/bodybuilding routines unless you've been lifting for a while

Around 2 years now, started when I was 16 - is that not long enough do you reckon?
Original post by Sacred Ground
Around 2 years now, started when I was 16 - is that not long enough do you reckon?

I'm in the same position as you. I personally don't do a bodybuilding routine but train more for strength and conditioning so therefore focus on full body compound movements in the gym. I'm happy so far with the aesthetic results, but more importantly I'm getting stronger and fitter, which is what I'm more interested in. My trainer advised me to stay away from a bodybuilding routine because I'd lose all my strength and athleticism, and replace it with functionless muscle. So tbh mate, if you're training purely to look good then I think with your experience you'll be okay and make some gains with that routine, however I still would recommend you train my way. But it's just advice - do whatever the **** you wanna do! :wink:
I'm in the same position as you. I personally don't do a bodybuilding routine but train more for strength and conditioning so therefore focus on full body compound movements in the gym. I'm happy so far with the aesthetic results, but more importantly I'm getting stronger and fitter, which is what I'm more interested in. My trainer advised me to stay away from a bodybuilding routine because I'd lose all my strength and athleticism, and replace it with functionless muscle. So tbh mate, if you're training purely to look good then I think with your experience you'll be okay and make some gains with that routine, however I still would recommend you train my way. But it's just advice - do whatever the **** you wanna do! :wink:

Cheers mate, I appreciate the advice! Are you a sprinter by any chance? When I competed in athletics, my trainer would also incorporate compound exercises for the exact reasons you've stated. But now that I've steered away from athletics I'm predominantly into the aesthetic side of things.
Iv been training for just over 2 years using the bodybuilding rep range of 8-15 reps mostly. Strength is greater than most people iv spoke to for the time iv trained, both for reps and 1 RPM. Also we just look so much better than a lot of powerlifters :tongue: Bodybuilding ftw.

Still wouldn't recommend Arnold's blueprint to mass if you're still natural though.
Cheers mate, I appreciate the advice! Are you a sprinter by any chance? When I competed in athletics, my trainer would also incorporate compound exercises for the exact reasons you've stated. But now that I've steered away from athletics I'm predominantly into the aesthetic side of things.

Rugby player. I also incorporate sprints and plyometrics as well as weights. Fair enough, I have no experience in training bodybuilding style so I guess the only thing you can do is give it a try and see what you think. After all, everyones body is different and there's no 'right' workout!
Original post by HappyLifting
Iv been training for just over 2 years using the bodybuilding rep range of 8-15 reps mostly. Strength is greater than most people iv spoke to for the time iv trained, both for reps and 1 RPM. Also we just look so much better than a lot of powerlifters :tongue: Bodybuilding ftw.

Still wouldn't recommend Arnold's blueprint to mass if you're still natural though.

How old are you mate? Post your lifts :tongue:
How old are you mate? Post your lifts :tongue:

20 :tongue:

Bench: 130
squat 165
deadlift 205

Heaviest weights iv done so far.....Apart from squat they seem to decent. Think I could get a better deadlift. Will get some PBs soon and post back :biggrin:
That squat though 😦

Yeh that's like 3-4 months of squatting :tongue: Gimme another 4 months and il get a lot higher, still getting noob gains with my legs. Hitting 100kg for 20-25 reps though last set.
Its just a standard bro split lol
Original post by Angry cucumber
Its just a standard bro split lol

Yessir, I'm aware what the program consists of, I was merely asking if anyone had completed it and how they found it
20 :tongue:

Bench: 130
squat 165
deadlift 205

Heaviest weights iv done so far.....Apart from squat they seem to decent. Think I could get a better deadlift. Will get some PBs soon and post back :biggrin:

Solid bench mate (presume kg?). Rest are pretty good too but that one stands out the most for me. Sorry about the late reply btw :biggrin:
Solid bench mate (presume kg?). Rest are pretty good too but that one stands out the most for me. Sorry about the late reply btw :biggrin:

Yeahh kg, my chest is just genetically better than back I think. Put up a 210kg Deadlift yesterday. 230kg is my goal for next 8 weeks.
Original post by HappyLifting4.0
Yeahh kg, my chest is just genetically better than back I think. Put up a 210kg Deadlift yesterday. 230kg is my goal for next 8 weeks.

Haven't pulled 200 yet but hopefully sometime in the next month or two. My squat is by far my best lift and my bench is weak af in comparison.
Haven't pulled 200 yet but hopefully sometime in the next month or two. My squat is by far my best lift and my bench is weak af in comparison.

My bans just been reversed on this account :smile:

What you squatting ? I find you can get more on the Deadlift than you think, my PB jumped from 140kg to 205kg within like 4 weeks of deadlifting, then again I used straps since I'm not into powerlifting.

Spot on mate, gaining strength is mostly about approach. If you train in a moderate or higher rep range then you have to start training closer to failure to get strength gains, but that's fine with me. Just gotta make the effort to progress, I tend to just try and squeek out one more rep than the previous workout and then add weight when the reps get too high, I've pretty much doubled all the weights I used to lift and gotten much bigger in the process.
My bans just been reversed on this account :smile:

What you squatting ? I find you can get more on the Deadlift than you think, my PB jumped from 140kg to 205kg within like 4 weeks of deadlifting, then again I used straps since I'm not into powerlifting.

Haha why were you banned? Tbf if you speak your mind on this site that usually does the trick :biggrin: I did 185 x 3 today. Currently deadlifting similar weight albeit for more reps; ngl am a bit apprehensive of that exercise as whilst it's an awesome strength builder, mess around with too heavy weight and it can snap your **** up! Can't bench 100 yet :frown: gonna force my body to in the next few weeks, push is the bane of all my lifts. Neither; am more into S and C
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha why were you banned? Tbf if you speak your mind on this site that usually does the trick :biggrin: I did 185 x 3 today. Currently deadlifting similar weight albeit for more reps; ngl am a bit apprehensive of that exercise as whilst it's an awesome strength builder, mess around with too heavy weight and it can snap your **** up! Can't bench 100 yet :frown: gonna force my body to in the next few weeks, push is the bane of all my lifts. Neither; am more into S and C

Goodness gracious me pip pip pip what what 185 x 3...... Gimme till the end of the New years transformation contest and il be hitting some decent squat weight.

Well I was banned for swearing, didn't swear so got the yellow and red card reversed but the mods took a day to undo the ban.

I only really started deads n squats in the last few months. Was a chest brah for 2 years, benched more than I could squat.......
(edited 8 years ago)
No programme is worth 3hours training lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest