The Student Room Group

Cutting to 10% bf

Hi all, just want to ask, I have been cutting since August and have made a lot of progress. I am around 18-20% bf I think now and I want to get to 10% bf. I weigh 167 pounds. My pictures are attached.

My fear is that I will end up looking like the person on the middle of the bodyfat pictures link. My long term goal is the guy on the right. My longer term goal is even leaner than that with the size too. How do I get to that level , do I keep cutting until I am 10% and then bulk slowly?

If i cut down to 10% bf I will be in the 140's, which is pretty light.

Here are the pictures:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there,

First of all, I'd like to say well done! Hard work deserves to be recognised and praised :congrats:

Although I don't know that much about weightlifting/body building, I'd suggest that you focus on using equipment in the gym that aims to tone the desired parts of your body.

@WoodyMKC may be of more help in this matter :biggrin:
Well done on your progress so far mate, lost a lot of chub :smile: You WILL end up looking like the middle guy if you cut down to 10% truth be told, but I'd still recommend it as it's only temporary, and if you're gonna start lifting to build muscle then it's best to start from a lean base. You can then slow-bulk from there which is all that's needed for the first year or two - it'll hardly be slow if you're still new to lifting anyway, you'll gain a lot of muscle and little to no fat if you get your caloric intake right.
Follow a HCLF vegan diet and buy a bike and cycle regularly (be it for commuting). I'm a nutritionist so ask away any questions
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hey there,

First of all, I'd like to say well done! Hard work deserves to be recognised and praised :congrats:

Although I don't know that much about weightlifting/body building, I'd suggest that you focus on using equipment in the gym that aims to tone the desired parts of your body.

@WoodyMKC may be of more help in this matter :biggrin:

'Toning' isn't a valid concept, and spot fat reduction sadly isn't possible.
Original post by Mactotaur

I repeat, I don't know much about exercising in general so I handed this over to Woody who knows what he's talking about :u:

Yeah it is scientifically proven. You cannot spot fat reduce. What else do you want to know?
Original post by WoodyMKC
Well done on your progress so far mate, lost a lot of chub :smile: You WILL end up looking like the middle guy if you cut down to 10% truth be told, but I'd still recommend it as it's only temporary, and if you're gonna start lifting to build muscle then it's best to start from a lean base. You can then slow-bulk from there which is all that's needed for the first year or two - it'll hardly be slow if you're still new to lifting anyway, you'll gain a lot of muscle and little to no fat if you get your caloric intake right.

Gotta be honest, before my cut I had been lifting for 23 months but I really lost track with my diet. I have always had a problem with losing track of my eating, and I bulked continuously for way too long.I started in Feb 2014 at 143 pounds and 18-20% bodyfat, I was very skinny but also fat. So, my lbm at that point was around 117 pounds. I looked like this:http://postimg.org/image/pmdqi9f99/At 11 months I looked like this:http://s13.postimg.org/60ytxp2fb/chest_and_front_work_in_progress_at_11_months.jpgI lost discipline, I was not gaining enough strength and just kept eating at 500 cals surplus with all the stalling. I ended up at 195 pounds with a lot of fat, I was bulking with too many calories as I was too invested in powerlifting instead of gaining lean body mass. I ****ed up.I ended up in this state at 195 pounds, I could bench 90kg for 6 reps and deadlift 160kg 1x5, squat 140kg 1x5. I got too into lifting for the numbers and forgot about how I looked... http://s17.postimg.org/sgii3uqbz/July_15.pngI was an ego lifter and forgot the reason i started lifting... to look good. I used my training as an excuse to bulk too long without going slower to avoid fat gains. I was gaining size so that inflated my ego, as it made me lift more in the gym. But it was making me look more and more **** in the end.So, what happened was actually pretty funny, i gained minimal lbm, I got a lot of fat, my lifts went up a lot. I was essentially taking powerlifting way too seriously. I stayed on rippetoes and strength routines for way too long. I don't think that way of training worked for my goals. This is why I should have really given my training style a lot more thought, i didn't do enough traditional bodybuilding excercises.
Good work so far mate, listen to Woody, he knows what he's doing. Angry Cucumber also knows, I am trying to cut too.
Original post by GeologyMaths
Yeah it is scientifically proven. You cannot spot fat reduce. What else do you want to know?

Toning is just reducing body fat, and you can't reduce the body fat from one part of your body in particular and not the others.
Toning is just reducing body fat, and you can't reduce the body fat from one part of your body in particular and not the others.

OK I know that.
Follow a HCLF vegan diet and buy a bike and cycle regularly (be it for commuting). I'm a nutritionist so ask away any questions

Firstly, no need to go vegan to get in shape, stop pushing your vegan agenda. Secondly, as I've already said to you previously, simply reading a lot about nutrition does NOT make you a nutritionist, you've already admitted that you have no formal qualifications. Not to blow my own trumpet but I'd say I know more than yourself about nutrition and have used my knowledge to not only transform my body, but watched others do well off my advice - I have no formal qualifications, however, so I do not claim to be a nutritionist, bodybuilding coach or anything of the sort.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Firstly, no need to go vegan to get in shape, stop pushing your vegan agenda. Secondly, as I've already said to you previously, simply reading a lot about nutrition does NOT make you a nutritionist, you've already admitted that you have no formal qualifications. Not to blow my own trumpet but I'd say I know more than yourself about nutrition and have used my knowledge to not only transform my body, but watched others do well off my advice - I have no formal qualifications, however, so I do not claim to be a nutritionist, bodybuilding coach or anything of the sort.

Veganism is the most efficient dieting lifestyle for anyone interested in health and fitness. You can disagree with me, but you'll still be wrong. If you want to advise someone to lose Xlbs by following an unsustainable diet plan that will subsequently damage their long term metabolic health, then go for it. I'm a semi-professional cyclist and train with TdF level road cyclists: if you claim you know more about nutrition that me, why not coach me then? Looking through some of your posts, it transpires clearly evidently you don't know much about fitness.
Veganism is the most efficient dieting lifestyle for anyone interested in health and fitness. You can disagree with me, but you'll still be wrong. If you want to advise someone to lose Xlbs by following an unsustainable diet plan that will subsequently damage their long term metabolic health, then go for it. I'm a semi-professional cyclist and train with TdF level road cyclists: if you claim you know more about nutrition that me, why not coach me then? Looking through some of your posts, it transpires clearly evidently you don't know much about fitness.

Well, for a start, by avoiding meat and dairy products, you're avoiding the highest quality sources of protein and settling on lower quality sources, with fewer bioactive peptides and essential amino acids. I also don't see what's unsustainable or damaging about simply reducing caloric intake - you'd be doing exactly the same thing if you were losing weight on a vegan diet, and I don't see what's sustainable about cutting all animal products from your diet if you enjoy them. Also, HCLF as you suggested, meaning high carb low fats, isn't exactly the healthiest of diet plans now, is it?

So you're a cyclist... this means you also automatically become an expert nutritionist??? Seems logical. Oh, yeah mate, I know sweet FA about fitness and dieting. Point me to these posts that apparently show my lack of knowledge, I'm intrigued :lol:
Reply 14
Original post by James.Carnell

is the positioning of the hands in some of these pictures suggestive or is it me?

I'm a geologist. I saw a rock once.

You have the qualifications of a peanut in nutrition. Stop lying.

Veganism is the most efficient dieting lifestyle for anyone interested in health and fitness.

Really though? That would be why all athletes are vegan then? Please.

You can disagree with me, but you'll still be wrong. If you want to advise someone to lose Xlbs by following an unsustainable diet plan that will subsequently damage their long term metabolic health, then go for it.

Metabolic health? Like how? Brb destroying my thyroid gland by becoming hungry and bear ripping my thyroid out

I'm a semi-professional cyclist and train with TdF level road cyclists: if you claim you know more about nutrition that me, why not coach me then? Looking through some of your posts, it transpires clearly evidently you don't know much about fitness.

Durianrider is that you bro? :lol: Please, by your nutritionist claims; you've ridden a bit of the Tdf course in Yorkshire or similar.
Original post by James.Carnell
Hi all, just want to ask, I have been cutting since August and have made a lot of progress. I am around 18-20% bf I think now and I want to get to 10% bf. I weigh 167 pounds. My pictures are attached.

My fear is that I will end up looking like the person on the middle of the bodyfat pictures link. My long term goal is the guy on the right. My longer term goal is even leaner than that with the size too. How do I get to that level , do I keep cutting until I am 10% and then bulk slowly?

If i cut down to 10% bf I will be in the 140's, which is pretty light.

Here are the pictures:

Before my cut:

Cut progress today:

Bodyfat pictures

http://postimg.org/image/y6ovigr19/

A good place to start when talking lifting is to read the FAQ - read all of it, if you have more qs after reading it, feel free to ask http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

A TwinsUK study looked at the eating habits of 122 identical twins. One twin ate meat while the other was a vegan or vegetarian. The latter were on average 1.3 kg lighter than the twins who ate meat. Which is a fairly insignificant finding. When you do not control for genes and upbringing, it is very easy to exaggerate the benefits of certain diets.

WoodyMKC is right to point out that a calorie controlled diet is just as effective (and that is what Cochrane reviews show). They are also right to highlight the disadvantages of removing dairy products and meat from your diet.

It is just not that simple I am afraid...
Original post by evantej
A TwinsUK study looked at the eating habits of 122 identical twins. One twin ate meat while the other was a vegan or vegetarian. The latter were on average 1.3 kg lighter than the twins who ate meat. Which is a fairly insignificant finding. When you do not control for genes and upbringing, it is very easy to exaggerate the benefits of certain diets.

WoodyMKC is right to point out that a calorie controlled diet is just as effective (and that is what Cochrane reviews show). They are also right to highlight the disadvantages of removing dairy products and meat from your diet.

It is just not that simple I am afraid...

Cite where you got this information from, and if the duration of the tests are anything less than a month, then I'm not interested. What is weight loss? Fat? Water from glycogen stores?

Notwithstanding the fact controlled test give no correlation to a standard British male looking to lose weight healthily.

If you're one of those depressed 16 girls wanting to lose weight to fit in their prom dress, then yes, restrict your calories abnormally, but no experienced athlete would tell someone to calorie restrict. As I said, buy a bike, significantly increase activity [assuming you sit at home all day], and eat a HCLF diet
Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm a geologist. I saw a rock once.

You have the qualifications of a peanut in nutrition. Stop lying.

Really though? That would be why all athletes are vegan then? Please.

Metabolic health? Like how? Brb destroying my thyroid gland by becoming hungry and bear ripping my thyroid out

Durianrider is that you bro? :lol: Please, by your nutritionist claims; you've ridden a bit of the Tdf course in Yorkshire or similar.

"peanut", I would say that. I'm at 10% bf, and manage to bodybuild and cycle at the same time. Wbu?

Well ofc not all athletes are on vegan diets, but I'll tell you that a HUGE majority are on HCLF diet [restricting meat to a low]. Yes I train with pro endurance cyclists, and their diets consitits of corn, bananas and refined sugar carbs. Of which most of them are sub 20 bmi.

Quick Reply

Latest