The Student Room Group

Is it too late to dropout and reapply for 2016?

This is a throwaway account for obvious reasons.

I'm currently at a university I don't reaaaaally enjoy that much studying a course which is average at best. I've been toying with the idea for a while but I finally decided today that I'd like to drop out and do a different course at a different university.

I've already looked at places which I'd like to go to and courses I'd like to do that I meet the requirements for - however am I right in thinking that the UCAS application deadline has passed?

As I type this I've signed up for UCAS for 2016 entry anyway and I'm currently filling out my profile, plus I've already sent emails to the universities that I'm interested in telling them the position I'm in and how I should go about applying.

What other steps to I need to take? Other than dropping out of my current uni, obviously. That will probably be the last thing I do, when I know I can definitely get in somewhere for September 2016.
Original post by Throwaway123456

I'm currently at a university I don't reaaaaally enjoy that much studying a course which is average at best. I've been toying with the idea for a while but I finally decided today that I'd like to drop out and do a different course at a different university.

I've already looked at places which I'd like to go to and courses I'd like to do that I meet the requirements for - however am I right in thinking that the UCAS application deadline has passed?

As I type this I've signed up for UCAS for 2016 entry anyway and I'm currently filling out my profile, plus I've already sent emails to the universities that I'm interested in telling them the position I'm in and how I should go about applying.

What other steps to I need to take? Other than dropping out of my current uni, obviously. That will probably be the last thing I do, when I know I can definitely get in somewhere for September 2016.

The application deadline has passed, but that's only the deadline for equal consideration. Unis can accept applications after this date if they have spaces on their courses, but some courses may already have give out all the offers they plan to.

Another option might be to wait until UCAS Extra opens- this way you could see which courses have spaces, and target your application. Extra opens on 25th February, and while you can only add one choice at a time, unis have to give you an answer within 21 days, so you may actually get an offer more quickly this way.

However you apply to start with, using clearing in the summer might also be an option.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The application deadline has passed, but that's only the deadline for equal consideration. Unis can accept applications after this date if they have spaces on their courses, but some courses may already have give out all the offers they plan to.

Another option might be to wait until UCAS Extra opens- this way you could see which courses have spaces, and target your application. Extra opens on 25th February, and while you can only add one choice at a time, unis have to give you an answer within 21 days, so you may actually get an offer more quickly this way.

However you apply to start with, using clearing in the summer might also be an option.

Ah okay, I didn't realise that. All the way through sixth form I assumed it was (and my tutor made it out to be) a final deadline for all applications. How does UCAS Extra work? I'm guessing I just fill out all my information on UCAS like normal but then make no applications?

Is it safe to drop out of my course now then? Also what do I do about student finance, references and personal statements? I'm assuming I just need to write a new personal statement (especially since the course will be different), but how much of my old one can I use? Also can I get the same tutor from college to write me a reference?

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
Ah okay, I didn't realise that. All the way through sixth form I assumed it was (and my tutor made it out to be) a final deadline for all applications. How does UCAS Extra work? I'm guessing I just fill out all my information on UCAS like normal but then make no applications?

Is it safe to drop out of my course now then? Also what do I do about student finance, references and personal statements? I'm assuming I just need to write a new personal statement (especially since the course will be different), but how much of my old one can I use? Also can I get the same tutor from college to write me a reference?

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ucas_extra Here's the TSR guide to UCAS Extra, that should help you work out how extra works.

Obviously you're not guaranteed to find a place via Extra or clearing, but you can start talking to your uni about dropping out now. They will be able to talk you through what will happen with student finance.

You can reuse as much of your PS as you want, although admissions tutors will expect to see some reference to what you've been doing this year- but try not to talk too negatively about your current course. Your old college tutor could be a reference, or you could ask a member of staff at your current uni if they will be your referee.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ucas_extra Here's the TSR guide to UCAS Extra, that should help you work out how extra works.

Obviously you're not guaranteed to find a place via Extra or clearing, but you can start talking to your uni about dropping out now. They will be able to talk you through what will happen with student finance.

You can reuse as much of your PS as you want, although admissions tutors will expect to see some reference to what you've been doing this year- but try not to talk too negatively about your current course. Your old college tutor could be a reference, or you could ask a member of staff at your current uni if they will be your referee.

Cool, I'll have to give that a read, thanks!

Yeah, I'll have a look at the website to see what I need to do.

Okay that's good! I'd probably just reuse the bit about myself, and just rework my interests and why I want to study the new course. I feel like going back to college and asking for a reference would be better, since they know me better.

Quick question, since it's not clear in the guide, can I be eligible for Extra if I send off my application with no choices? Or do I have to make at least one before I send it off.

Also, RE the personal statement, what sort of stuff should I include then? Literally just mention the course that I was doing, why I want to change, and then any extra stuff I did whilst at uni?
Quick question, since it's not clear in the guide, can I be eligible for Extra if I send off my application with no choices? Or do I have to make at least one before I send it off.

Also, RE the personal statement, what sort of stuff should I include then? Literally just mention the course that I was doing, why I want to change, and then any extra stuff I did whilst at uni?

You can be eligible for Extra if you make an application at any time and don't hold any offers, you don't have to apply to a choice now to be eligible- I think you do have to pay the full fee though, not the reduced one choice fee.

A paragraph outlining the things you mention would be ideal, and you could work some things you studied at uni into the rest of your statement if there's somewhere it would fit well. You could also mention any ECs you started at uni. In general I would also re-read your PS and make sure there's no bits that massively make you cringe now.
You can be eligible for Extra if you make an application at any time and don't hold any offers, you don't have to apply to a choice now to be eligible- I think you do have to pay the full fee though, not the reduced one choice fee.

A paragraph outlining the things you mention would be ideal, and you could work some things you studied at uni into the rest of your statement if there's somewhere it would fit well. You could also mention any ECs you started at uni. In general I would also re-read your PS and make sure there's no bits that massively make you cringe now.

Okay cool. So I should just wait for Extra to open then? I don't think the course I want to apply for is that popular but I'd like to definitely get a response.

And that's decent, thanks. Yeah I've already re-read it...... It's so tragic haha. I actually posted it on TSR a few months ago in the PS examples section but I can't see it anywhere so I'm assuming it never got put online? Hopefully it didn't anyway because I would like to re-use a few sections of it.

Also managed to get a meeting with my tutor on Wednesday to discuss the course and dropping out so hopefully that should all go fine. Just need to get in contact with my Sixth Form College + tell my parents.... Most nervous about that to be honest haha.

No, dont dropout but apply for 2016, that would be wise just incase you dont get in.

What are you studying by the way and what would u like to change to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
No, dont dropout but apply for 2016, that would be wise just incase you dont get in.

What are you studying by the way and what would u like to change to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking I could do that, but I don't really want to stay here any more... I don't enjoy it.

I currently study sociology, looking to study German and do TESOL/TEFL alongside it as part of the degree, with a placement and study abroad.
I was thinking I could do that, but I don't really want to stay here any more... I don't enjoy it.

I currently study sociology, looking to study German and do TESOL/TEFL alongside it as part of the degree, with a placement and study abroad.

Well then if u don't feel at home, I would suggest u live immediately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending