The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offer, can I withdraw after my results?

I received an unconditional offer from University of Lincoln to study Computer Science but I am having some remorse months after firming the offer (I firmed in November 2015) as ridiculous as it sounds. I was going to place Lincoln on my insurance before receiving the unconditional offer and Leicester as my firm, but obviously that's changed.

Lets say I get much better grades than expected, can I withdraw from the University of Lincoln after results and try adjustment or reapply in 2017? It's not that I don't want to go to Lincoln, it's a case of going to a better University such as Leicester, I want to go to the best University I can. I understand it was stupid of me to accept the unconditional when I didn't completely want to 100% commit to it, but I liked the appeal of the security of in the scenario of screwing up my exams, still having a place at a reasonably good University.
(edited 8 years ago)
the withdrawal will take ages if you leave it until results day and you'll likely miss all the good clearing options. make your mind up now; if you want to go to a good university, withdraw.
Original post by JQLeitch
I received an unconditional offer from University of Lincoln to study Computer Science but I am having some remorse months after firming the offer (I firmed in November 2015) as ridiculous as it sounds. I was going to place Lincoln on my insurance before receiving the unconditional offer and Leicester as my firm, but obviously that's changed.

Lets say I get much better grades than expected, can I withdraw from the University of Lincoln after results and try adjustment or reapply in 2017? It's not that I don't want to go to Lincoln, it's a case of going to a better University such as Leicester, I want to go to the best University I can. I understand it was stupid of me to accept the unconditional when I didn't completely 100% commit to it, but I liked the appeal of the security of (in the scenario of screwing up my exams), I still have a place.

In order to enter adjustment, you need to exceed the requirements of your firm offer. As your firm is unconditional, you don't have any conditions to meet and are not therefore eligible for Adjustment. You can certainly withdraw and apply for 2017.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
In order to enter adjustment, you need to exceed the requirements of your firm offer. As your firm is unconditional, you don't have any conditions to meet and are not therefore eligible for Adjustment. You can certainly withdraw and apply for 2017.

Thanks for answering. I think that'll be my game plan, if I do exceed grade expectations. Do you think there'll be any fines for withdrawing so late?
Thanks for answering. I think that'll be my game plan, if I do exceed grade expectations. Do you think there'll be any fines for withdrawing so late?

Of course they can't fine you, there's no consequences at all :smile:

As claireestelle says, they don't work like that.
Original post by claireestelle
Of course they can't fine you, there's no consequences at all :smile:

Great, thanks for all your great help everyone, very quick replies :biggrin:
Reply 7

You need to be careful if you sign any accommodation contracts. You will need to read it carefully, as by signing you may be agreeing to pay a non refundable deposit, or to have to find someone to take over the contract. This is more common if you choose private accommodation but you should always be careful.
Original post by Juno
You need to be careful if you sign any accommodation contracts. You will need to read it carefully, as by signing you may be agreeing to pay a non refundable deposit, or to have to find someone to take over the contract. This is more common if you choose private accommodation but you should always be careful.

Thanks for answering, helpful advice.

I'm definitely going to Lincoln anyways now, so this thread is kinda irrelevant now for me. My Mum completely opposed the idea of me reapplying in 2017, unfortunately.
Thanks for answering, helpful advice.

I'm definitely going to Lincoln anyways now, so this thread is kinda irrelevant now for me. My Mum completely opposed the idea of me reapplying in 2017, unfortunately.

1. Part of growing up is learning when to tell your parents that you are not going to follow the path they have planned for you, and that you are going to do what you think is best for you. Don't ask, tell them what you are going to do. This is just one of those occasions. It is an expensive decision with long term consequences. Your mother cannot force you to go to Lincoln. Do not go if you don't want to.

2. If you withdraw, you will be eligible for Clearing. If you're sure you don't want to go to Lincoln, withdraw before results day. Withdrawing on results day can be a slow process, and time is of the essence when it comes to securing a place at a good uni through Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
1. Part of growing up is learning when to tell your parents that you are not going to follow the path they have planned for you, and that you are going to do what you think is best for you. Don't ask, tell them what you are going to do. This is just one of those occasions. It is an expensive decision with long term consequences. Your mother cannot force you to go to Lincoln. Do not go if you don't want to.

2. If you withdraw, you will be eligible for Clearing. If you're sure you don't want to go to Lincoln, withdraw before results day. Withdrawing on results day can be a slow process, and time is of the essence when it comes to securing a place at a good uni through Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that (great points) but my Mum is so disapproving on me reapplying in 2017 that she'll probably kick me out of the house, which is really depressing. My Mum just wants me to get a degree ASAP and a job ASAP, she has no concern for the potential differences if I do reapply. She also thinks I'll just be a layout in the gap year, which I won't be (work experience, learning skills), but she's stubborn. I'm stuck in a rut atm.

Also what do you think are the chances somewhere such as University of Leicester would offer Computer Science on results day via clearing? I'm assuming pretty low.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know that (great points) but my Mum is so disapproving on me reapplying in 2017 that she'll probably kick me out of the house, which is really depressing. My Mum just wants me to get a degree ASAP and a job ASAP, she has no concern for the potential differences if I do reapply. She also thinks I'll just be a layout in the gap year, which I won't be (work experience, learning skills), but she's stubborn. I'm stuck in a rut atm.

Also what do you think are the chances somewhere such as University of Leicester would offer Computer Science on results day via clearing? I'm assuming pretty low.

I think it's highly unlikely that your mum would kick you out. It's the sort of thing that parents threaten, but in reality she's not going to put you out on the streets. If she did want you to leave, then you find a job and rent a room in a house share - not ideal, but you'll have excellent money management and life skills by the time you get to uni - it's far from the end of the world.

As soon as you finish your A Level exams (don't wait for results day), start looking for a job - intensively. When I started looking for a job at the same point in my life, it took me 150 applications in 2 weeks before I got a job. That way, you will either have a nest egg to take to uni, or a job that will carry you through your gap year. Play your cards right and do all the hours you can lay your hands on and you'll have enough money to go travelling.

However, it's unlikely to come to that. Clearing has been nothing less than bountiful over the last few years, and plenty has come up. There's no guaranteeing that any individual course at any individual uni might come up - no one (not even the admissions staff themselves) will be able to guarantee or rule out that Computer Science at Leicester will be in Clearing this year at this stage. However, you're likely to find that even if that one course isn't available, other equally good options are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending