The Student Room Group

Can you be withdrawn because of poor attendance?

advice, I basically skipped the whole off frost term with the exception of a few lectures and tutorials but the amount of classes I attended was minor, the second term has just begun and I am now attending regularly, even while I was absent from school I was completed online assignments and did my presentation, however I did not attend classes at all and am likely to fail 3/4 of my modules, I haven't heard anything from the school about my attendance, do I have cause to worry or should I just forget about it and start attending classes
Original post by KX321
So earlier today I received an email from my course leader saying she wishes to speak to me about my attendance as it's not great.

Now I'm not going to lie I have missed more days than I should have some for genuine reasons and some not.

I'm getting very worried that I might be getting kicked out although i haven't had a warning or any kind of notice about my attendance before so how likely is this to happen?

Note that I'm not behind on any work and have always submited work on time.

you can be kicked out but I doubt you will be f this is the first time they have contacted you about it.
Reply 2
You won't be kicked out! In fact, once I had discussed my reasons for non-attendance in my situation (paranoia about a Maths multiple-choice practice paper which snowballed into missing several tutorials/sessions), it was actually the turning point where I knew deep down I was NOT going to drop out and I WAS going to complete the degree. So my experience of the meeting was extremely positive!
Reply 3
Original post by Jjisking
advice, I basically skipped the whole off frost term with the exception of a few lectures and tutorials but the amount of classes I attended was minor, the second term has just begun and I am now attending regularly, even while I was absent from school I was completed online assignments and did my presentation, however I did not attend classes at all and am likely to fail 3/4 of my modules, I haven't heard anything from the school about my attendance, do I have cause to worry or should I just forget about it and start attending classes

Failing 3 out of 4 modules would be a problem. It's up to each uni to decide how to handle it, but it would help your case if you were to start attending consistently. Each year at uni is landing you in over £10,000 of debt - you'll still owe it even if you fail or get kicked out. You might as well knuckle down and have something to show for it.
Original post by Wimbs
You won't be kicked out! In fact, once I had discussed my reasons for non-attendance in my situation (paranoia about a Maths multiple-choice practice paper which snowballed into missing several tutorials/sessions), it was actually the turning point where I knew deep down I was NOT going to drop out and I WAS going to complete the degree. So my experience of the meeting was extremely positive!

This thread is 3 years old
It amazes me how many people bang on about the struggle to get to the uni of their choice then not bother to turn up. Back in the day, your fees were paid and a grant was made for living expenses so some people could just "drop out" but now, it costs you about £300 a week to. Go to uni, just in fees. Why would you buy a cinema ticket and not go?

Different unis/ courses have different rules.
I know one person who didn't bother going to the H&s training as they were too cool for skool
Problem is that they then were unable to take part in the paractical module and failed the entire thing
Some lectures are 100's of people in a room. Some are not, and if a person is missing from a small group and participation is expected, don't be surprised to get a note.

Unis are scored on results, like schools. They want you to succeed but also want rid of lazy students who will bring down the scores.
Oops
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
This thread is 3 years old

The post we're replying to was made earlier today. That poster only started posting on TSR today.

If you think a thread needs closing, it's worth using the Report function at the top right of the post, and getting a Mod to check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by domonict
Unis are scored on results, like schools. They want you to succeed but also want rid of lazy students who will bring down the scores.

As long as you're getting them 2:1s, the uni does not care that you only attended 5 lectures and 4 seminars.
Original post by Klix88
The post we're replying to was made earlier today. That poster only started posting on TSR today.

If you think a thread needs closing, it's worth using the Report function at the top right of the post, and getting a Mod to check.

Okay :biggrin:
International students are liable to have their visas revoked and be told to leave the country if they don't attend regularly.

That's the law as set by the UKVI.

Most universities will try not to discriminate based on fee/visa status - which means lack of attendance at a level which would result in a visa revoke for an international student will generally result in an automatic withdrawal for an EU or UK student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending