The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I am an EU student moved here on 01/11/2014, in short last year. I am concerned about the application for student financial support. Many people told me that I could not apply for a student tuition fee loan because I have to have been living in UK for at least three years. Now, is it true? If yes, do UK universities offer any financial support to those student with no or low income?

Thank you
Original post by Student Money Week
Got a question about student finance? Ask us now!

Hello,Am in UK on spouse visa.I will be here in the UK for 3 years when I start my postgraduate course next September.I will not get my Indifinite leave to remain by that time because I will only obtain it after 5 years.my question is can I apply for a postgraduate student loan without ILR?(N.B my wife is British citizen)
Hi, ive been offered a place on a foundation course at Urdang Academy in London for 1 year on Musical Theatre. I have too pay for my tuition fees, and i need help getting funding for my maintenance, or possibly for my fees. Could any one help me with some advice or know any websites i can go on, any numbers or if im even eligible for any grants and funding. Thankyou
Reply 4
Hi, Im in my first year of Uni and living at home. But next year, I would like to live away from home, How do I change my Student finance, so I am able to get the larger loan amount.
Thank You
Joe Mansell
Original post by daniellenailx
Hi, ive been offered a place on a foundation course at Urdang Academy in London for 1 year on Musical Theatre. I have too pay for my tuition fees, and i need help getting funding for my maintenance, or possibly for my fees. Could any one help me with some advice or know any websites i can go on, any numbers or if im even eligible for any grants and funding. Thankyou

Your best source of advice on this in the first instance is the Academy itself. They'll be able to say if the qualification and themselves mean you are eligible for FE or HE student support of any sort.

If you aren't eligible for public funding then you'll need to investigate private and charitable funding options. I'm going to move this thread into the TSR Monday 8th February forum for Student Money Week to see if any of the experts in this week can help you with finding private/charitable funding.

CJ edit: Moved into general questions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello!

I will be applying for a student loan this year and wanted to know how the application process works if you live with a parent and their partner. They are not married and I am not financially dependant on my parents partner what so ever but will they still count as being part of the household income?

Thank you!
Hi, on the email I received about this student finance week it said those with a mental health condition can access non-repayable amounts. Could you explain what these are and the requirements? Thankyou
Reply 8
Hi,
I'm 23 and work full time. I'm hoping to get into university this year. I live at home with my parents. Even though I work and do not rely on my parents income at all, do I still need to provide the whole household income when applying for student finance?
Secondly, I should be eligible for a maintenance loan of £8000 and my rent could be anything from £113 - £150 per week. Could anyone estimate how much money I would have left over per month to spend on food etc?
Thanks!!

Is anyone going to answer any of these questions?
Reply 10

Hi I am going to be studying nursing have been offered a place I was wandering with a bursary what is the maximum student loan I can apply for
Original post by Afee_94
Hi I am an EU student moved here on 01/11/2014, in short last year. I am concerned about the application for student financial support. Many people told me that I could not apply for a student tuition fee loan because I have to have been living in UK for at least three years. Now, is it true? If yes, do UK universities offer any financial support to those student with no or low income?

Thank you

Hi Afee_94, as an EU national, as long as you have lived inthe EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of your course youshould be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan from us.From what you’ve told us, it sounds as though you areeligible but you can find out more about residency requirements at www.gov.uk/studentfinanceYou should also speak to your university to seeif it offers any financial support to students.
Original post by Faithfulheart123
Hello,Am in UK on spouse visa.I will be here in the UK for 3 years when I start my postgraduate course next September.I will not get my Indifinite leave to remain by that time because I will only obtain it after 5 years.my question is can I apply for a postgraduate student loan without ILR?(N.B my wife is British citizen)

Hi Faithfulheart123, to apply for a Postgraduate Loan youneed to meet the residency requirements. These will be available later in theyear. Even if you don’t have Indefinite Leave to Remain before your coursestarts you might still be able to apply.Make sure you follow us on Twitter - @SF_England– for information and news about Postgraduate Loans.
Original post by poil169
Hi, Im in my first year of Uni and living at home. But next year, I would like to live away from home, How do I change my Student finance, so I am able to get the larger loan amount.
Thank You
Joe Mansell

HiPoil169, when you re-apply for student finance for your second year you cantell us about any changes to your circumstances and apply for the larger loanamount.
Original post by PQ
Is anyone going to answer any of these questions?

Hi PQ,

We're posting replies twice a day at 12pm and 5pm, depending on when we receive questions. Thanks.
Reply 15
Hi, I'm currently studying on a one year acting course at drama school. I plan to go on and do a further 3 years. This would involve auditioning for other drama schools as well.

Does anyone know what I'd have to do, student finance wise? Would I be classed as a "continuing student" or a new student?

If I am classed as a new student, how would I send off another application for this coming September without it just telling me that I already have an application done for now?
Hi!

Sorry, it's me again, what sort of proof does Student Finance require regarding parental/guardian income? I live with my grandparents and they're both retired, what documents are needed as evidence?

Thanks

Rebecca
Are NHS students who are starting in Autumn 2016 ( therefore legible to have course fees paid by NHS still) entitled to apply for a loan off SFE to cover living costs or are we still capped ?

Original post by daniellenailx

Hidaniellenailx, as your course is not eligible for student finance from StudentFinance England, you should contact your college to speak to them about anyfunding you can get.
Original post by adarkin
Hello!

I will be applying for a student loan this year and wanted to know how the application process works if you live with a parent and their partner. They are not married and I am not financially dependant on my parents partner what so ever but will they still count as being part of the household income?

Thank you!

Hi adarkin, your household income does include your parent’scohabiting partner but we’ll only ask for their details if you’re applying fora higher amount of Maintenance Loan. If you’re only applying for the Tuition Fee Loanand the basic Maintenance Loan (the bits that don’t depend on your householdincome) you can fill in your application without your parent and their partnergiving any details.
If you are applying for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan we'll ask your parent and their partner to give us their financial details so we can check their income with HMRC. They can provide these online.
You can find out more about what evidence we need toprocess your application by downloading our detailed main guide ‘Student finance– new full-time students 2016/17’ from our student finance zone.

Latest

Trending

Trending