The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello
I am a Belgian student ,I came in the UK one year ago and I am actually studying an access to higher education course .
In September I will start uni, but I've read that as an European student I can only get a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.
I have also read that migrant workers can benefit of a maintenance loan , I am actually working part time at the same time I study . Will I be considered also as a migrant worker ?
Which student finance can I get ?
Thank you
Hi,

I am an EU student and I've been living in the UK for 2 years. However, in the last 3 years I have had 6 different addresses. For 2 of these addresses I've only spent there a month each.

Do I need to add an address even if I've only lived there for a month?
Doesn't it look "odd" that I have had so many addresses?
Reply 3
I am a German, a Nurse, a single parent with three dependent children all in school I intend to do Mental Health Nursing and I have lived in the UK since 1.11.14. My question is as an EU citizen, am i eligible for Loan, Grants and Bursuries while studying?
Reply 4
If you are a permanent UK resident and apply for a fee grant for distance learning, then physically stay elsewhere in Europe.... are you acting illegally? When you apply, you are required to be resident or "in" the UK from the first day of your course. But I want to technically "be" abroad. Am I breaking a rule this way?
Hello there!!

I am a EU citizen who wants to study a postgraduate degree in biodiversity and evolution. I finished my degree outside uk one year ago and I have been working in uk for one year and a half. In september 2016 I will turn two years in uk.

As I said I would like to study a postgraduate degree but I have some unanswered questions.

Am I eligible for a postgraduate loan?
If so, I read the loan is up to 10.000 £. But is this money would be for everything or just for the maitenance?
If I am not, is there any other way to finance my master?

Thank you very much for your time.

Guillermo
Hello,

I`ve been living in UK for three years (EU citizen) and I want to start my Undergraduate Uni course this September. I am 29 year old and I plan to study outside London. I`ll have no income when I`ll begin my studies, no family, dependants, disabilities or whatsoever. I know if there is no income, I can qualify for 8200 pounds maintenance loan, but that`s pretty tight budget for a year. Can I qualify for some income support?

Regards,
Ash
Hello. I got a loan for first year as migrant worker. I wanted to find out how I need to apply for second year as migrant worker, Do i need to send another PN1 paper application or will student finance contact me and tell me what to send

Thanks
Vytautas
Reply 8
Hello,

I'm an EU student, studying full-time undegraduate Masters in London. As I am working here, I am eligible to student support from student finance (grant and loan for my living costs). However, I can't find any application form for that, could you please indicate me how to apply?
And is there any requirement for my work - does it matter if it is part time less than 20 hours?

Also, I wonder if I can get any extra help based on household income less than 25,000£?

Thank you!

Madiha
Reply 9
Hello,

does anyone knows is it possible to get some housing benefits as Erasmus student on work placement / training in the UK?
For those unaware:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6854/sfe_pgl_qg_1617_d.pdf

I'm pretty gutted over the wishy washy eligibility section, I mean things like 'normally' and 'ordinarily', what a handy wavey thing to say.

I'm from Northern Ireland, but been living in England for the last 3 years (will be 4 by the time I graduate) for my undergrad degree. Does this count as 'normal' or 'ordinary'? It also states that EU students can also apply, what what about RUK students? Or are we getting screwed over as usual?
Reply 11
Hi I am an EU student moved here on 01/11/2014, in short last year. I am concerned about the application for student financial support. Many people told me that I could not apply for a student tuition fee loan because I have to have been living in UK for at least three years. Now, is it true? If yes, do UK universities offer any financial support to those student with no or low income?

Thank you
Original post by Fionatrtz
Hello
I am a Belgian student ,I came in the UK one year ago and I am actually studying an access to higher education course .
In September I will start uni, but I've read that as an European student I can only get a tuition fee loan but not a maintenance loan.
I have also read that migrant workers can benefit of a maintenance loan , I am actually working part time at the same time I study . Will I be considered also as a migrant worker ?
Which student finance can I get ?
Thank you

Hello

you are correct that most European students can access only Tuition fee loans, as long as they have not had these before.
As long as you have been working legally, and for a significant amount of hours each week (there is no exact figure for this, but generally 16 hours is accepted), you could apply for funding as a migrant worker. To be eligible for this, you will have to continue working for at least the number of hours quoted above, throughout the whole of your degree course, and you will have to send evidence of your continual work to Student Finance England at least 3 times a year, at the loan payment times. The work would have to be legitimate and your payslips and contract would have to be shown. The amount of maintenance loan you might receive would depend on your age and circumstances - either based on your parent's income or on your partner's income.
Original post by lawlieto
Hi,

I am an EU student and I've been living in the UK for 2 years. However, in the last 3 years I have had 6 different addresses. For 2 of these addresses I've only spent there a month each.

Do I need to add an address even if I've only lived there for a month?
Doesn't it look "odd" that I have had so many addresses?

Hello

You should add an address for each of the addresses you have lived in, regardless of how long for, as it will be important for Student Finance to assess where you have been living.
Original post by Finda1963
I am a German, a Nurse, a single parent with three dependent children all in school I intend to do Mental Health Nursing and I have lived in the UK since 1.11.14. My question is as an EU citizen, am i eligible for Loan, Grants and Bursuries while studying?

Hello

This is a complex question and more information is needed to give a full answer.
If you are a nurse registered in Germany and would like to register for the first time as a nurse in England, you might be eligible for a bursary from the NHS and a reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance in the 16/17 academic year, if you qualify as a migrant worker.
To qualify as a migrant worker you would have to have worked in the UK and continue to work for a significant number of hours per week throughout your course.
However, if you are a registered nurse in England already, then you would not be able to apply for a bursary, as this is for the first registration as a nurse in the UK. I suggest you should contact the NHS bursaries for advice as they look at each individual case based on personal circumstances.
Original post by Guillerm07on
Hello there!!

I am a EU citizen who wants to study a postgraduate degree in biodiversity and evolution. I finished my degree outside uk one year ago and I have been working in uk for one year and a half. In september 2016 I will turn two years in uk.

As I said I would like to study a postgraduate degree but I have some unanswered questions.

Am I eligible for a postgraduate loan?
If so, I read the loan is up to 10.000 £. But is this money would be for everything or just for the maitenance?
If I am not, is there any other way to finance my master?

Thank you very much for your time.

Guillermo

Hello

From the information I have seen, it is intended that EU students should be able to apply to the Postgraduate Loan scheme to study at Masters level in England as long as they have been in the EU for the 3 years prior to the start of the course and are resident in England on the first day of the course.
The maximum loan is £10,000 which is not means tested.
This is a contribution towards the cost of fees and living costs - the money is loaned directly to the student, who then has to take responsibility for paying it to the university as fees - anything left over could be used towards living costs.
The scheme should be available for you to apply to in the summer
Original post by Noldolante
Hello,

I`ve been living in UK for three years (EU citizen) and I want to start my Undergraduate Uni course this September. I am 29 year old and I plan to study outside London. I`ll have no income when I`ll begin my studies, no family, dependants, disabilities or whatsoever. I know if there is no income, I can qualify for 8200 pounds maintenance loan, but that`s pretty tight budget for a year. Can I qualify for some income support?

Regards,
Ash

Hello

As an EU citizen living in the UK for over 3 years by the time you start your degree, you could be able to borrow the tuition fee loan and the maximum maintenance loan for living costs which you quote, as long as you have not studied before, and have no other income or dependants as you say.
As a full time student with no children or disabilities, you would not be able to claim any state benefits alongside your student support.
You should contact the university you intend to study at to discuss whether they might offer you a bursary or scholarship.
Original post by Detective wolf
Hello. I got a loan for first year as migrant worker. I wanted to find out how I need to apply for second year as migrant worker, Do i need to send another PN1 paper application or will student finance contact me and tell me what to send

Thanks
Vytautas

Hello

If you are continuing on the same course and moving into second year, you should apply as a continuing student (PR1). You can print this form from the Student Finance website
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms
You will need to send them evidence of your continued work - your up to date payslips and contract if you have not sent this before. They will want to see all your payslips right up until September before they release the first instalment of loan, so you should make sure you send this with your customer reference number and a covering letter to explain that it is evidence of your continuing migrant worker status. Bear in mind also that you will need to keep every payslip and send them in to Student Finance in December/January so the next instalment can be released and so on in March/April.
Original post by Madiha15
Hello,

I'm an EU student, studying full-time undegraduate Masters in London. As I am working here, I am eligible to student support from student finance (grant and loan for my living costs). However, I can't find any application form for that, could you please indicate me how to apply?
And is there any requirement for my work - does it matter if it is part time less than 20 hours?

Also, I wonder if I can get any extra help based on household income less than 25,000£?

Thank you!

Madiha

Hello

I am not clear about whether the level of your study is undergraduate or masters.
However, if your course is an undergraduate course and you are an EU national who has worked legitimately in the UK before you started your course, and have continued working throughout your course, you may be eligible to apply for living cost support as a migrant worker, as long as the work is not 'marginal'. In other words, you must be working a significant amount of hours per week. It doesn't have to be as much as 20 hours, but no exact figure is given in the regulations. Typically, 16 hours per week or more has been accepted in the past, although work which you have only obtained because you are a student is not usually accepted (for instance if you work for your university in their cafe).
Student Finance will look at your case based on your circumstances, and will need to see evidence of your working hours and earnings - your contract and all of your wage slips, in order to consider your application. You cannot qualify as a migrant worker if your work is 'cash in hand'.
If you wish to be considered as a migrant worker during an academic year, then I believe you must have been a migrant worker within 3 months of the start of the academic year - otherwise you can apply as a migrant worker in subsequent years.
The amount of loan for living costs which students can borrow usually depends on their family income, and you will have to give evidence of this with your application to be means tested.
The form you fill in is the same form as home students complete, and you can download it from the Gov.UK website -
Original post by Afee_94
Hi I am an EU student moved here on 01/11/2014, in short last year. I am concerned about the application for student financial support. Many people told me that I could not apply for a student tuition fee loan because I have to have been living in UK for at least three years. Now, is it true? If yes, do UK universities offer any financial support to those student with no or low income?

Thank you

Hello

As an EU student you can usually borrow the tuition fee loan to pay your fees, as long as you have not previously borrowed this, and as long as you have not studied in Higher Education before. Access to the tuition fee loan does not depend on how long you have been in UK, but EU students who have been in the UK for at least 3 years before the start of their course can apply for funding for living costs as if they were UK students.
Each university will have a different scheme of bursaries so you should contact them to find out if they will offer you any additional funding, but it is unlikely that any university would offer enough money to cover your fees.
You can find the application form for the tuition fee loan here:

Latest

Trending

Trending