The Student Room Group

JUST DO IT - Someboady's road to success.

Road to the A* A A at AS Level/A Level

Introduction:
I'm 17. I go to college. I like my life so far. Academically able.Here's the ideal plan.I study Maths (Full A-Level), Physics and Computer Science at A-Level at a really rubbish school with rubbish teaching so I'm practically self-teaching. The plan is to absolutely smash my AS levels and achieve an A* in my Maths A Level, an A in physics and an A in CompSci. Not only this but I need above 98% UMS in my Maths A-level. This leaves very little room for error but it is doable. I also need above 95% UMS for my Physics A-level.Why you may ask? Well I aspire to go to a top university such as Cambridge or Oxford and study Computer Science /W/Mathematics. And I'm willing to give it a really fricken good shot.How will I achieve this?

What I am aiming for/hope to achieve:

I need an A* in EDEXCEL A-level Maths. This is a must.

100% UMS in all Maths Modules (C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,S1). This is also a Must.

I need an A in AQA AS-Level Physics with over 95% UMS. This is also a Must.

I need an A in OCR AS-Level Computer Science with preferably over 90% UMS. This is also a must.

The Plan that cannot go wrong:

Complete the learning of all my subjects. So Half Term is almost over. I have finished learning everything I need for my A-Level Exams.

Relearning lol. Relearning the things that I haven't fully solidified in my brain. This will include Integration, Vectors and Differentiation in C4.

Practicing the things I know I really really really struggle with. E.G. Domain and Range of a function in C3. Also do questions on those C4 topics above.

Memorising the notes/concepts. I will struggle with this part but eventually it should sink into my thick skull.

Practicing LOTS AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS. The key to Maths is lots of questions so I'm going to do LOTS of questions till I can comfortably do past papers.

LOTS of Past Papers. Got to SMASH these past papers as we get closer to exams. I'm creating a spreadsheet to record my results and see how they improve.

By learning I mean, I have made notes and understood the concepts.
Currently:

I just finished learning the whole of Stats and Electricity in PhysicS.

I have completed the content learning here.

I need to REVISE now. This means REVISE and RELEARN all the things that are not solid in my head

Fortunately I'm ahead in all my classes so I'll be relearning at College also.

What motivates me?
The need to succeed. I've always known I've been above average in terms of intelligence(without being cocky).. now its time to really fricken prove it. Make all the stress I went through worth it.
I quite like Cambridge as both a city and University having visited it.
And my crush (soon-to-be-girlfriend) (edit: she is now my girlfriend) is also applying to similar universities and I don't want to lose her because of poor AS results.
Food also motivates me. Accepting donations.
Shia Lebouf motivates me. Just do it.
yesterday i said today. so just DO IT
so yeah lets do this. For Narnia and FOR ASLAN!
<3
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Someboady
Food also motivates me. Accepting donations.
Shia Lebouf motivates me. Just do it.
yesterday i said today. so just DO IT
so yeah lets do this. For Narnia and FOR ASLAN!
<3

:rofl: I love the last bits. Best war cry ever.

Good luck! :rave:
Reply 2
So... Let's figure out what I have left to learn and what I have left to revise. I think I made a decent start to the year and have covered everything to a sketchy degree in both Maths and Computer Science. These have yet to be Solidified when I revise and relearn.

All the modules:
Maths - C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1
CompSci - 1.1 - 1.5 and 2.1 - 2.3
Physics - Particles, Electricity, Mechanics, Waves, Materials
What I have left:
S1: Normal distribution and Discrete Random Variables
C4: Solidfying and relearning it.
Physics; Particles and Electricity
CompSci: Solidifying it.
With regards to Maths I'm doing fairly well. I have covered everything. My knowledge of C4 is sketchy atm but I'm going to work on that by doing lots of Exam questions kindly provided by the beautiful internet (I love you). S1 I am pretty solid with but have yet to learn: the normal distribution, discrete random variables. Both C4 and S1 should be complete before the Half term which starts this Friday. So I'm tight for time. So Tonight is Parametric Equations (Co-ord geom) exam questions... I hope to solidify that. Stats has to be missed out today, I have to cook and be in bed on time... early start tomorrow.

CompSci I'm pretty damn laidback on which isn't right so tonight I'm solidifying Data Types and all the computing mathematical wishy woshy thingy. I performed very badly on the test we had because I hadn't fully understood any of it... I got a C. It was the only C I've ever had. Although i get A's on all the tests, i feel as though the tests are not representative of anything realistic that will appear on an exam. So Data Types tonight. A little bit of revision for CompSci.

For Physics I missed three lessons in school due to a trip to a university and I seem to have fallen behind by about a month. universe hates me. So i managed to catch up in my frees. So I think my suckish school are going to cut it close with all my subjects and particularly physics. The plan is to learn simulatenously the electricity and particles modules. yeah. damn right. Imma do this. I'm working pretty fast and have around 10 spec points left to be complete by the end of the half term. I'll almost definitely get that done if I work at a reasonable pace.

So that's the plan. Tonight... we dine... IN HELLLLLLLL!

Oh and motivation.... not much... i didnt buy any food cuz im broke... :'( my feels errytim... but I do have a date this weekend which should be fun... and also make me even more broke :frown: I'm going cinemas twice this week and paying for three tickets... what is my life.

Lez Do this.

UPDATE:
So I just realised how much work i just set myself xD... I guess I won't get it all done..
On track to finish Data Types by 6:30 GMT tonight. Its currently 5:55
I have a really bad habit of not finishing things because i cba in the last 10 minutes... lets hope that doesnt happen. Floating point binary vs me.
Due to finsih at 7PM now... I forgot I needed to do practice questions.
Okay more of a delay, had to cook at 6:30 so I'm done now at 7:30.. due to finish at 8:00... Why does this always happen -_- worst part is i get home from college at around 4:30.. take an hours break and then somehow most of my day is gone -_-
This always happens... it is now 9:30... i got 80% of CompSci done..Nothing in Maths... Ended up focusing my physics notes and am now up to date in Physics notes. Since it is 9:30 I'm going to get ready for bed but this is how BADLY my evenings go. Because my family want to make a lot of noise... Vikkstar wants to upload minecraft videos... my crush wants to text me... my friends want to call me ... AND I WANT TO REVISE! -_-
So theres a sprawl of school work on my bed and papers all over my room... i have to get organised again xD...
So I hae only 11 modules left of Physics to self-teach... It's going well... how solid it is has yet to be decided.
As for Maths...well... I reckon ill spend my frees at school focusing on S1 and C4.
CompSci can go screw itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Ok so today is the 10/02/16...
Its 6:15 because I had to entertain guests -_-.... But I got quite a bit of work done in college.. more than i was expecting. Tonight we have to make rough notes on 1 specification point (the photo electric effect) of Particles in Physics. If I get time then I will also do the spec point of Energy Levels and Photon Emission... All this will be in rough. If I get enough time then i'll also do wave-particle duality... that'll be the last four spec points of Particles complete. Didn't exactly stick to my timetable today and have left Statistics (2 modules left) behind... but this will be done on Thursday and Friday hopefully.. my teacher hasnt been here for the past 2 weeks which SUCKS so we may be falling behind... AGAIN i need to self teach it :frown: I hope some high up education person reads this and understand the struggles for student because of poor teaching standards at college.

update: Yeah i screwed up... So I got home from college around 4:45... Went and chilled for half an hour... then went and got the groceries... ended up entertaining the guests for about 45 minutes... Managed to get upstairs... then everyone in my house wants to be loud as hell.... But thats fine i got a page done... Then I had to go eat at around 7... It is NOW 8 FREAKING 30. ...This is the price i have to pay to eat apparently.. MY TIME. 1 and a half hours eating and cleaning ... what is life. Now I have about an hour before I pack up to finish the photoelectric effect. round 2. lez go.
Update 2: I just finished Photoelectric thingy jan;sdonasodifo AND NOW ITS 9:22... Soo 8 minutes till bed time.. time to watch some youtube and finish the washing.. yes 1 and a half hours and it isnt finished...guests i tell you.. guests.

Tomorrow which is the 11/02/16 will be a Thursday which means I will do Physics in the morning again... This will be a clean up of whatever I missed out on last night... Then I have another free later on...this will be dedicated to physics also... AS YOU CAN SEE I FAIL TO PRIORITISE. I have homework due on Saturday... that's some C3 Past papers..I haven't done that yet. So that's Thursday Evening gone.

Friday the 12/02/16 will be my final day before Half term. I have printed off timetables for the holiday so I need to fill those in. The Friday frees will again be dedicated to Physics and I aim to complete 2 spec points of Electricity by then. This will mean I have 2 spec points left. I will also leave a bit of time to finish off any homework due... The evening will consist of more electricity. THEN PHYSICS SHOULD BE COMPLETE! YAY! but not quite because I doubt ill get it done. The FInal deadline for me is Sunday... which is valentines day... yeah... im so screwed xD. So yeah...That's this post done... now its 6:20... I need to get to work asap. How solid my learning has been so far is questionable.. its like liquid in my brain and I need to freeze it without my head Thawing... DAMN thats a good analogy. Somone rate me highly. Okay so Here we go guys. Wish my luck. Lets do some physics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Go forth and make Aslan proud.
Reply 5
ok so today is the 11... still doing this yay... Got home from college.. had a bit to eat... no sweet food rations today ... i must starve myself of sweet food it seems...soooo today is c3 homework day... i have 3 weeks of homework to hand in... thats priority today... if i get it done then I have 4 more modules of Electricity to do and then Physics complete yay.
So thats the plan.. but we know what happens.. we've seen it before. BUT HERE WE GO. 6 EXAM papers to do in the next 4/5 hours. Idk if i can do this xD
(edited 8 years ago)
LikeaSomeboady, good luck!
Reply 7
So its 17:38.... im like hey whats up hello.. sit yo..no? never mind then... had to drop that... it actually is 1738... xD but Its friday .. i have to go to visit family today so there goes my plan for the evening...i will take my homework which is due tomorrow to do... but I also need to make a holiday plan so I'll do that before I leave.
Reply 8
Okay so I frogot to post the past two days..Saturday was chill day and I went out with the girl I had a crush on for a very long time... now shes my girlfriend. Cue Success music. Yeah damn right I did it... asked her to be my girlfriend and she said yes ohhoooooooo...... OKay anyways back to A-levels... But seriously she is so hot.... just saying.. anywyas..where was I... Sunday I did a bit of work... not a lot... Today i've got my timetable planned out but Im not quite sticking to it xD... I think again I'm being over-optimisitc about what I can get done. But lez see.. waz good chef dee
Reply 9
16/02/16
Finished Discrete Random Variables
Finished Normal Distribution
Finished Notes on Electricity (Physics)
Learnt Computer Arithmetic (Computer Science)

^^^^^^^^^^those are goals - not complete yet. I feel really sleepy so im going to sleep lol

DIdn't finish any of it. ... xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
17/02/16
Just finished The Normal Distribution along with Discrete Random Variables... Now to finish off electricity. Then to go back to Stats and complete all the questions on them.
Reply 11
Okay I've decided to use DAYS LEFT as a countdown since I have my first exam on the 18th of May. But I'll count down till the 15th May just to be safe.
DAY 1 OF 85 DAYS TILL EXAMS
Saturday... I'll be working to finish off Differentiation as well as Parametrics in C4. By Monday I want to be able to do a C4 Past paper and get over 65 marks.
With regards to my Applied modules, I'll be doing some Normal Distribution questions from past papers
With regards to my Physics I will be completing my revision of Materials in its entirety.
With regards to Computer Science I'll be finishing revision/relearning of Data Types in its entirety.
This is the goal for Saturday. Let's do this. Until then...I'll watch a movie.
Reply 12
How do you go about studying for Computer Science? Especially with the masses of content.

I've mainly focused on Maths since September, and to be honest probably only totalled 5 hours of Computer Science revision. Do you reckon it's possible to learn all of the theory by may?
Reply 13
Original post by Psst.
How do you go about studying for Computer Science? Especially with the masses of content.

I've mainly focused on Maths since September, and to be honest probably only totalled 5 hours of Computer Science revision. Do you reckon it's possible to learn all of the theory by may?

For computer Science, I've covered all the content. I think for the most part its memorisation. I make class notes... which are basically notes that I make at home because I learn jackall in class xD. But then I make home notes too... So I end up with two sets of notes to make sure I understand it. At the moment I haven't memorised the content but I'll be memorising through towards May. It's a mass of content agreed, it comes down to the nitty gritty memorisation (which is made easier through understanding it).

I also focused Maths since September xD. It's DEFINITELY possible to learn it by may. you have around 84 days to learn the whole lot. If you manage your time well and focus on memorising the content I don't see why not :smile: Hope this helps
Reply 14
DAY 2 OF 85 DAYS TILL EXAMS - 20/02/16
Completed Differentiation and done enough questions to allow me to do a C4 paper. I need to learn vectors/integration. Problem is, Parametric Integration sometimes requires techniques from the Integration section of C4. Also some Connected Rates of Change seem to require integration which is very strange. Example: June 2005, Q8.
Will be going out with the family this evening... about 2 hours to get as much done as possible... focusing Differentiation.
The rest of the goals will be pushed over to Sunday. Also on Sunday I really want to get Vectors out the way tbh. I want to be able to do a C4 paper as soon as possible.
From Monday, I'll be smashing out past papers, making notes on my mistakes and I'll be reading through the examiner's reports and the Mark Schemes thoroughly.
Reply 15
DAY 3 OF 85 DAYS TILL EXAMS - 21/02/16
Barely got anything done tbh... Saturday went out and yeah... didnt get much done but I finished Differentiation. Again, with both Differentiation and and Parametrics there are parts that require integration. I have the basics of integration but I've decided to pretend like I know nothing.. which is really stupid of me I know.
So I think since this is the last day of the half term its safe to say that I have FAILED my Half terms plans and got very little done despite spending a long time working. Errrrrr...
What's left at this stage: Maths (C4 - Vectors, Integration, Parametric Integration (little bit more), Connected Rates Of Change Integration (little bit more))
Now its just past papers/revision from here. I have work tomorrow and then i go to college to work my bum off. I can't seem to work well at home... unfortunately.
Then theres the grime bars stuck in my head.. Chip's lines are just really catchy... I'm not even in to grime but i heard it and now its stuck.
But hopefully things will look up from here. We gonna ace these 10 exams in June.
Post it to your blog. Get this clutter off the feed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending